TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Will the World Cup 2013 be a flop?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Yep, I think that's it:

1-Buy as many tickets as you can afford.

2-Try and take a new fan or two along.

3-Follow and retweet the RLWC accounts - plenty of local ones around

4-Like, comment, share the facebook mentions.

5-Avoid repeating negative stuff, particularly around eligibility rules.

#22 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

I hope the world cup is a success, I will be attending but, has the 2013 WC been doomed by the RFL?

What do you make of the Australia England game being played in Wales or Semi-finals at Wembley?

Has the RFL made a massive error restructuring the Super league in such a poor way nobody has discussed the world cup on the television or in the media properly?

Is the rest of the country aware of the tournament?

Is Steve Mac the right man for England? (NO)

I hope the world cup is a success, I will be attending.

I have opinions on these matters but would love you to share yours.

Are you for real?

#23 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

Yeah, it's going to be a total disaster.

#24 Jason86

Jason86
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

Are you for real?

Explain

#25 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

Explain

You come up with some smart questions or comments and people might take you seriously.

So far, you've opened with a 'fake positive' statement and then led with a few opening gambits inviting doom, gloom, farce/disgrace/embarrassment comments from whoever will rise to your bait.

Your ignorance shines through where you imply that the RFL are organising the World Cup.  They aren't.  Its a different company so how could it possibly be 'doomed' by the RFL?

You imply the RFL re-structuring Superleague (they haven't, its talk and plans right now) has stopped people talking about the World Cup on TV.  How absurd.

I'm glad the powers that be have taken the glamour fixtures to stadiums worthy of their status.  If there was a way of measuring awareness, I'm sure the % of the 'rest of the country' has a higher awareness of this world cup than any preceding world cup, based on 200,000 advance ticket sales.

Or are you seriously suggesting the record advance sales suggest a lower awareness?

As for Steve Mac, do you think there could be reasons why he has the job and not yourself?

As trolling goes, you must try harder.

#26 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Explain

how old are you.

#27 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

I hope so and I will be attending many games as my part in supporting the tournament. The organisation from the launch event to the early ticketing, the cup tour, somewhat akin to the Olympic flame event on a smaller scale, the host city concept, adding expertise and local assistance for free, to the volunteer programme and the wise decision to give France a couple of games at home and the decision to boost Wales by pairing their fixture with an Aussie/England game and an opening ceremony are all new and innovative approaches to the World Cup and far superior to anything ever attempted at any previous World Cup in this country.

The fact that the final, even though it may yet turn out not to have England in it, has equalled or exceeded the attendance from 2000 already is another plus. The fact that we have a goodly number of games on national terrestrial TV,i.e. the BBC, is also a great move especially given the kudos being given to their coverage of the game in the Challenge cup in recent weeks.

The semi final double header is a bit of a gamble but we have to have some games in the capital and by holding the final at Old Trafford we can bounce back from any low attendance there. Given the last RL double header at Wembley attracted over 40,000 there is reason for optimism and an opportunity for our new fans from Hemel to Oxford to Gloucester and London itself to have an opportunity to support a prestigious fixture somewhat closer to home than the Northern heartlands.

I am looking forward to it as maybe a swansong to a long life supporting this great game and for me personally it will be a great success, hopefully crowned by an England win as topping on the cake.

#28 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Like This
keighley
Today, 03:41 AM
I hope so and I will be attending many games as my part in supporting the tournament. The organisation from the launch event to the early ticketing, the cup tour, somewhat akin to the Olympic flame event on a smaller scale, the host city concept, adding expertise and local assistance for free, to the volunteer programme and the wise decision to give France a couple of games at home and the decision to boost Wales by pairing their fixture with an Aussie/England game and an opening ceremony are all new and innovative approaches to the World Cup and far superior to anything ever attempted at any previous World Cup in this country.

The fact that the final, even though it may yet turn out not to have England in it, has equalled or exceeded the attendance from 2000 already is another plus. The fact that we have a goodly number of games on national terrestrial TV,i.e. the BBC, is also a great move especially given the kudos being given to their coverage of the game in the Challenge cup in recent weeks.

The semi final double header is a bit of a gamble but we have to have some games in the capital and by holding the final at Old Trafford we can bounce back from any low attendance there. Given the last RL double header at Wembley attracted over 40,000 there is reason for optimism and an opportunity for our new fans from Hemel to Oxford to Gloucester and London itself to have an opportunity to support a prestigious fixture somewhat closer to home than the Northern heartlands.

I am looking forward to it as maybe a swansong to a long life supporting this great game and for me personally it will be a great success, hopefully crowned by an England win as topping on the cake.

That is a fantastic post.... if all rl fans had this attitude towards the World Cup the rest of the world would have to take notice

#29 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

The fact that the final, even though it may yet turn out not to have England in it, has equalled or exceeded the attendance from 2000 already is another plus. The fact that we have a goodly number of games on national terrestrial TV,i.e. the BBC, is also a great move especially given the kudos being given to their coverage of the game in the Challenge cup in recent weeks.

A swansong? Please explain .... 

#30 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

A swansong? Please explain .... 

On a personal note I'm the wrong side of 65 years old and this might be my last opportunity to attend a world cup due to advancing age and retirement financing issues.

However, whilst there's life there's hope and I;ve always wanted to visit Australia, so maybe I'll be there for the next one, hopefully to see England defend their title.

#31 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:29 AM

Start saving now for 2017 … then there's the 2021 RLWC in the northern hemisphere to look forward to !

65 is the new 45 ! 

#32 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

Really? I have 67 as the new 30!!!!!!

#33 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

Well I'm 49 and it's the new 29 … I hope!

#34 creditwhereitsdews

creditwhereitsdews
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Like most things in rugby league these days it will be 'talked up' into being a success to its own people - despite no sell-outs, no sponsor, farcical national teams, banks of empty seats at several games and crowd noise pumped into Wembley like it was in 2011.

Any of these things would be considered a flop in major sports.

It would be great if England pull out all the stops and that the competition is full of tight games so that people will overlook these things and we no longer have to rely on hype. Talking up the game has been RL's Plan A - sadly there has never been a Plan B - since the mid 90s, but it doesn't wash with many people who still follow RL, just as it doesn't with those who don't.

I'll be there, hoping to be proved wrong on all of the above.

Edited by creditwhereitsdews, 05 August 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#35 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Just for once could our friends from the east of the Pennines get it into their heads that accentuating the positives about your own event/club is not some kind of effete southern character flaw; it is how every sensible person promotes themselves. 'Calling a spade a spade' is not always the most helpful strategy so if you have nowt good to say about this hugely important tournament STFU
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#36 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Well I'm from the east if the penines and I can not wait!!

#37 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

So's my wife, it just seems to be a tendency from some of your compatriots to view PR as akin to witchcraft and seek to minimise good news, doubt positivity and spread any concerns to the widest possible audience. People did this with the Olympics and other big events, the difference is that we don't have enough friends in the media to offset the negativity.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Like most things in rugby league these days it will be 'talked up' into being a success to its own people - despite no sell-outs, no sponsor, farcical national teams, banks of empty seats at several games and crowd noise pumped into Wembley like it was in 2011.

Any of these things would be considered a flop in major sports.

It would be great if England pull out all the stops and that the competition is full of tight games so that people will overlook these things and we no longer have to rely on hype. Talking up the game has been RL's Plan A - sadly there has never been a Plan B - since the mid 90s, but it doesn't wash with many people who still follow RL, just as it doesn't with those who don't.

I'll be there, hoping to be proved wrong on all of the above.

Miserable ######.

The only thing consistent about Rugby League are posts like yours. 

No sell-outs - how do you know?

No sponsor - they have Marriott and Hertz so far, plus a couple of other partners like Steeden, Gullivers, Welsh Assembley, Lottery. Do you mean a title sponsor? They aren't looking for one! The 2008 WC didn;t have one, and neither do other sports for their WC.

Farcical national teams - the general public aren't even bothered about this, just chippy RL fans. Cricket and RU extensively use players' heritage yet they get on with it and grow their sport. We sit and moan about it and look backward.

Banks of empty seats - more RL obsession. If we get 70k at Wembley, the likes of you will still focus on the banks of empty seats rather than the full ones.

Artificial crowd noise - I didn't even notice this at Wembley, so it must have been discrete.

You say there is no Plan B - what does that even mean? Surely staging events like this are the way to grow our sport, no matter how much the 'fans' like you try and hold the game back - and then pretend to hope they are proved wrong!

#39 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Miserable ######.

The only thing consistent about Rugby League are posts like yours. 

No sell-outs - how do you know?

No sponsor - they have Marriott and Hertz so far, plus a couple of other partners like Steeden, Gullivers, Welsh Assembley, Lottery. Do you mean a title sponsor? They aren't looking for one! The 2008 WC didn;t have one, and neither do other sports for their WC.

Farcical national teams - the general public aren't even bothered about this, just chippy RL fans. Cricket and RU extensively use players' heritage yet they get on with it and grow their sport. We sit and moan about it and look backward.

Banks of empty seats - more RL obsession. If we get 70k at Wembley, the likes of you will still focus on the banks of empty seats rather than the full ones.

Artificial crowd noise - I didn't even notice this at Wembley, so it must have been discrete.

You say there is no Plan B - what does that even mean? Surely staging events like this are the way to grow our sport, no matter how much the 'fans' like you try and hold the game back - and then pretend to hope they are proved wrong!

Very well said, agree with every word. Without knowing the exact details of ticket sales, I struggle to see how anybody can be negative about Cardiff, Wembley and Old Trafford when the ticket sales website suggests that sales are going very well at all three and the strategy of opening areas a bay at a time, should ensure that it looks great on TV. A big kick off at Cardiff in front of a packed house will really give the tournament a flying start and see a surge in sales at other matches.

#40 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

On a personal note I'm the wrong side of 65 years old and this might be my last opportunity to attend a world cup due to advancing age and retirement financing issues.

However, whilst there's life there's hope and I;ve always wanted to visit Australia, so maybe I'll be there for the next one, hopefully to see England defend their title.

Feel the same way, one of my things to do before I die, is to watch a test series in Australia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users