Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will the World Cup 2013 be a flop?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

I am quite hopeful of the WC being an outstanding success, talk of a sell outs, does give ammunition to the cynics though.  I can see it from both sides, the 30 sold out sections for the opening ceremony is a great plus. But that has to be balanced out with the 27 sections that are not yet currently on sale.

Both optimists and pessimists have an equal footing at the moment and both can end up overplaying their hand to try and get keyboard warrior points.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#42 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

I am quite hopeful of the WC being an outstanding success, talk of a sell outs, does give ammunition to the cynics though.  I can see it from both sides, the 30 sold out sections for the opening ceremony is a great plus. But that has to be balanced out with the 27 sections that are not yet currently on sale.

Both optimists and pessimists have an equal footing at the moment and both can end up overplaying their hand to try and get keyboard warrior points.

The fact is that very few people claim there will be all sorts of sell outs. Probably the highest predictions I've read for the opener and semi are 50-60k - this won't be enough for most people, despite the fact that it would be a brilliant crowd.

#43 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

It's a great crowd.  I still think they may go for broke and open up all the stadium come the day.  I just get the impression that there are alot of RL fans yet to commit for one reason or another.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#44 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

Like most things in rugby league these days it will be 'talked up' into being a success to its own people - despite no sell-outs, no sponsor, farcical national teams, banks of empty seats at several games and crowd noise pumped into Wembley like it was in 2011.

Any of these things would be considered a flop in major sports.

It would be great if England pull out all the stops and that the competition is full of tight games so that people will overlook these things and we no longer have to rely on hype. Talking up the game has been RL's Plan A - sadly there has never been a Plan B - since the mid 90s, but it doesn't wash with many people who still follow RL, just as it doesn't with those who don't.

I'll be there, hoping to be proved wrong on all of the above.

You already are wrong. The world record attendance for a RL international game was a World Cup final at Wembley when more than 70,000 turned up.   I think the last Rugby World Cup final was also a sell out in Brisbane.

#45 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

If you call 200,000 pre-sold tickets with 3 months to go a flop then you have a lot to worry about. 200k+ is more than will go through the gates at Wigan's DW or Leeds' Headingley in a the whole season.

200,000 thats impressive.

#46 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Can't see what's not to like about RLWC2013. There will be some great games in an exciting schedule. The stadia seem to be about right for the matches, so there should be a good atmosphere. They've already sold a lot of tickets for many matches, so when we know RL fans leave buying tickets to the last minute & don't generally support international rugby league, I think things are coming along quite nicely.

What is really clear, is that the players are viewing this as the pinnacle of the season. Players are desperate to play in RLWC2013. That certainly wasn't the case with the 2000 World Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users