League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What can we as fans do to promote the RLWC?

Any ideas?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 558 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

Reading through the "Will the World Cup 2013 be a flop?" thread, gogledd made the following post:

No. It will be a resounding success. Get behind it. We as fans can help.  I have a RLWC2013 banner on my Facebook page so every time I share or comment or like people see the RLWC logo.  I have been out for the last two days talking to people at venues hosting the World Cup tour. Talk to people who don't follw RL. Get in the press, write a letter to you local paper, badger the editor to produce articles.

I am volunteering during the event.  I want it to be a success and we can all do a little bit to help promote it.

A few great ideas from gogledd which we could all follow.  This got me thinking.  Has anybody any other ideas to promote the RLWC that we as fans can get behind, that cost nothing (other than a little bit of our time) and will increase public awareness of our games showpeice occasion?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#2 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

The more articles regarding the WC that get shared on social media the more chance google will rank content for keywords like rugby, sport etc.

#3 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Contact local press in your area saying how much you are looking forward to the match(es) and how you hope your fellow enthusiasts are getting tickets as they seemed to be going quick.

Every time people in media (or in your circle) talk about upcoming sport make sure you highlight it.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#4 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Like like like, positive intelligent thread. See it can be done !

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,149 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

wait til three weeks to go. At present, the uncommitted have their minds on other things.

#6 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Try and get your friends and work colleagues who aren't RL supporters interested to go to a game with you. e.g make it a work/office get together with those who may come along for the work crack rather than just the game.
Tickets are reasonably priced for a World Cup event.

I've bought 16 tickets so far, only 4 of those are to committed RL supporters.
Now its a matter of co-ordinating with who you could get to come along with you - the football fixtures have been out a while and the Sky games arranged for the first half of the season in the premier league, so they know what they are doing (if they are season ticket holders for example) up until Xmas.

#7 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

I have also started buttonholing local councillors. As the World Cup is in our town (Wrexham) on the back of a bid that our council were partners, I have started asking each one I contact what they are doing to champion RLWC2013. Do their constituents know about it? What are they saying in the local press? etc.

• nec likes this

#8 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

wait til three weeks to go. At present, the uncommitted have their minds on other things.

Got agree, wait till the teams start arriving.

#9 parklandswolf

parklandswolf
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

on the socail media front, assuming lots of people are on facebook, lets change our cover and profile pictures to the rlwc 2013 or team logos

Edited by parklandswolf, 03 August 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#10 parklandswolf

parklandswolf
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

oops just read the original post, anyway just changed my fb profile

#11 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

Changed my FB profile and now I will attempt to comment on as many things as I can.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#12 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

Isn't there a paper or magazine TNT IIRC that caters for Australian and new Zealand expats living in London? Have the RL world cup organizers targeted this publication?

#13 Thegreatestgameofall

Thegreatestgameofall
  • Facebook
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Basically on my behalf I have taken a hit to the credit card and bought tickets for people who would have had no idea that the world cup was on, sure It may be 10 more tickets sold  that were not maybe going to be sold, but thats 10 more people to the overall attendance of the world cup and with the prices and regular specials they have on, its not that bad on the wallet compared to most major events

#14 Chris22

Chris22
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

I think people should email, tweet or write to the BBC and ask if they will be showing anymore games. They have the rights to further games, and space either on the red button or BBC 3. They have shown athletics, womens football and other sports on there before so why not the RLWC? If we write in our numbers to them, it couldn't do any harm!

#15 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Great idea regarding the bbc who do we e mail?

#16 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Philip Bernie is head of TV Sport
Dave Gordon head of major events TV sport

Those would be my start point
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#17 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

As a Wales supporter I have already e-mailed BBC Wales to se why they are not broadcasting all our RLWC games and only England are getting coverage!  I did mention that when the Olympics were broadcast you could watch a selection of sports either on the main channels, via the Red Button or on-line.  Why not RLWC fixtures?  I am awaiting a reply.

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,579 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Isn't there a paper or magazine TNT IIRC that caters for Australian and new Zealand expats living in London? Have the RL world cup organizers targeted this publication?

I used to get that when I worked in central London. The general slant of the sports coverage was well towards RU and AFL, with RL getting pretty pathetic coverage at best.

It may have changed since then, but I doubt it, somehow.

Edited by Futtocks, 05 August 2013 - 11:15 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#19 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

One segment of the population that might be very effective to target would be students, as many will have interests in sport or going for a good day out. Approach colleges and universities and ask to display a poster which will have details of the closest matches in the area. Also get in touch with the International/Overseas Students Society as they would know nationalities of students at the college. If that results in say a group of 20 Americans cheering on their team whilst experiencing the delights of the Lake District, that would be a worthwhile investment of time.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#20 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

One segment of the population that might be very effective to target would be students, as many will have interests in sport or going for a good day out. Approach colleges and universities and ask to display a poster which will have details of the closest matches in the area. Also get in touch with the International/Overseas Students Society as they would know nationalities of students at the college. If that results in say a group of 20 Americans cheering on their team whilst experiencing the delights of the Lake District, that would be a worthwhile investment of time.

What about getting the student RL teams to carry info on their desks at freshers week? Hits the students before they have spent all their loans. Could the local clubs send a representative with a replica world cup trophy to each freshers week?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users