TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Widnes should be dropped from SL and have failed

using everyones Broncos logic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#21 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

ok, here goes a different tack,  which team has more home grown players?

#22 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

OMG is this another I've got a bigger one than yours thread? Who cares who deserves SL or not the two teams in question are in SL at this present time and it will stay that way till at least 2015. But on the well London didn't earn promotion comment neither did Widnes for that matter so just put the swords away.

Edited by thundergaz, 03 August 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#23 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Uncalled for thread.

They got hammered in one game, so? It happens in sport. They've progressed this year, the most stats you find can prove that, why the bashing it's so uncalled for.

#24 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

http://www.superleag...tch_report/8883

Remind me when Widnes got a hammering like that.

82 -10.

We beat that by more at home in 2011 (82-6), that one didn't lead to as many calls to get rid of Quins (as they then were) as they were second in the league at the time.

http://news.bbc.co.u...gue/9425926.stm

#25 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

The brutal honest truth is that Widnes, London, Hull KR, Wakefield and Castleford should probably all be dropped from Super League. 

The bottom four or five clubs just aren't viable.

Singling out Widnes though is unfair considering they are one of the better smaller clubs.

#26 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

well now given the hiding Hull gave Widnes last night should Widnes be under similar scrutiny.

we are in our second season in super league this time around, and we have improved on last term, trade at a profit, have a robust academy structure, get an average crown of near 5000....................so your point is what exactly????
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#27 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

or which one trades at a profit and has a near 5000 average crowd...............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#28 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:39 PM

Don't forget Salford,they're a pretty pointless club as well

#29 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

Widnes have won 7 games, London only 3.

Widnes have scored 581 points and London only 411.

Widnes have conceeded 767 points and London 850.

Widnes are 11th and London are 14th.

I didn't need to bring up attendances.

Can you name a single stat that has London ahead of Widnes?

U19s?

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#30 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

i dont think either should be kicked out, i was actually just highlighting how silly the london argument is. widnes as made good progress and if anyone else had been beaten by 70 I would have used them as an example

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#31 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

The brutal honest truth is that Widnes, London, Hull KR, Wakefield and Castleford should probably all be dropped from Super League. 

The bottom four or five clubs just aren't viable.

Singling out Widnes though is unfair considering they are one of the better smaller clubs.

not viable? can you explain that one to me please?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

U19s?

I have already said that London have a good academy but I can't see how under-19 results are the basis for which side should be in SL:

#33 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

What's that got to do with this year?

Actually we're not mind readers (except that we can conclude you are likely to twist anything due to your anti London hatred)

What's promotion and relegation got to do with this season's performance? The mind boggles.

If you would like to highlight which stat I've "twisted" that would be just lovely.

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

i dont think either should be kicked out, i was actually just highlighting how silly the london argument is. widnes as made good progress and if anyone else had been beaten by 70 I would have used them as an example

I'd say that the "London argument" is based on a number of things such as them not having a regular home, their backer looking to pull out, them not signing players for next year, dramatically falling attendances etc - none of which apply to Widnes.

#35 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

not viable? can you explain that one to me please?

Pretty obvious really. They can't support fully professional clubs without artificial financing. They should have merged back in the 1990s before the backwoodsmen got their way.

Don't worry, with the reintroduction promotion and relegation the backswoodmen are being placated again. Regressive and backward.

#36 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

Recognise that this is a sarcastic thread given the bile shown by the anti London brigade last week but cannot resist challenging DuffDuff suggesting Hull KR should be dropped from SL. Ask any team coming to Craven Park whether they expect a tough game in front of a decent and vocal crowd.
Just watched Canberra lose 68-4 at home to the Storm, illustrates how a big score can so easily crop up between competitive sides.

#37 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

Recognise that this is a sarcastic thread given the bile shown by the anti London brigade last week but cannot resist challenging DuffDuff suggesting Hull KR should be dropped from SL. Ask any team coming to Craven Park whether they expect a tough game in front of a decent and vocal crowd.
Just watched Canberra lose 68-4 at home to the Storm, illustrates how a big score can so easily crop up between competitive sides.

But do Hull KR have any prospect of becoming self sustaining, with average crowds over 10,000 and with the ability to challenge the likes of Leeds and Wigan?

That is the problem I'm afraid. Maurice Lindsay might have been a bit over the top but he was right about what the top division of British Rugby League should look like. More like the uber competitive NRL than the uncompetitive and multi tiered set up you have in Premier League soccer.

All the reintroduction of promotion and relegation will achieve is to reinforce the cartel of that the big 2 or 3 Super League clubs already have. It is a massive step backwards.

#38 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

The ability to challenge Leed, Wigan, St Helens, Warrington, Hull etc on the field...already there after relatively few years in this elite league.

That must be a major factor as we all want to watch competitive rugby but cannot all be top teams at the same time. We had our times in the 80s and have seen remarkable on field progress over the last 8 years.

Crowds of 10,000.....first you have to build the stadium to hold that crowd, then you have to sell the product. Why argue to destroy what you have when you are almost there. Hull and Rovers derbies average over 20,000 at the KC so the city has the potential to support 2 clubs on your spurious 10,000 criteria. Income can also be generated through sponsorship and off field activities...it would help if the RFL did their bit with selling the game.

uber competitive NRL with 68-4 home defeats...

#39 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

Pretty obvious really. They can't support fully professional clubs without artificial financing.

Huddersfield? Bradford? Salford?

How did Warrington get to where they are?

Does it matter as long as they are solvent?

or were you just having a cheap dig?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#40 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Probably Wigan but that's not really an achievement if the home grown players are not very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users