Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

todays results 02/08

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

New Ravens 8 Birmingham Bulldogs 98.. Ravens finished their regular league season beaten by a far superior bulldogs team in every department.

Positives from the season is that for the first time in our 8 yrs that we have 100% completion rate for fixtures which was one of our key targets for the season and has made a pleasant change for me not to have to call up the opposition night before the game and having to cry off.

Other key target was to make the Midlands 1 playoffs by finishing in 5th to 8th place and finished in 8th place with a trip to Leicester A next week the reward.

Next season targets will be the same and to be higher up the table if possible, and also to kick start the juniors again with only having had u-11's this season now that we will have 4 more qualified coaches at the club come end of august.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#2 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

Great news and small steps are right. Today North Derbyshire Chargers completed their first fixtured season with 100%. From the birth of Chesterfield Spires its taken 8 seasons to get there but I'm sure they will kick on too.

#3 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Great news and small steps are right. Today North Derbyshire Chargers completed their first fixtured season with 100%. From the birth of Chesterfield Spires its taken 8 seasons to get there but I'm sure they will kick on too.

Better to do it when you're ready than to go too fast and implode. We were a bit unlucky to finish bottom - really good performances against Telford and Birmingham that bode well for next season if we can get a consistent team out. It was the "winnable" games where we turned in our worst performances.

I would actually ban teams from the playoffs who don't achieve 100% - because of holidays and an enforced change in kick-off time we travelled with 11 yesterday, as I believe the Ravens did at least once this season. At the very least, there should be a points penalty.

Edited by tim2, 04 August 2013 - 04:18 PM.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#4 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

That's my point - too many clubs don't do what is in their capabilities and go all out too early.

#5 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Midlands Premier Division Play offs

Telford v Northampton Demons A

Birmingham Bulldogs v Coventry Dragons

Midlands Division 1 Play offs

Leicester Storm A v NEW Ravens

Sleaford Spartans v Coventry Bears A

These fixtures will take place over the weekend of 10th/11th August.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick of the fixtures is Birmingham v Coventry Dragons - Birmingham are really hitting form at the moment.

#6 Cov Dragons Dogsbody

Cov Dragons Dogsbody
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

We got shouted at for suggesting that Tim about not being allowed to enter playoffs, agree completely tho!

#7 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

We got shouted at for suggesting that Tim about not being allowed to enter playoffs, agree completely tho!

Me too. Although the 24-0 benefits the non-offending team, it doesn't punish the offending team, and can actually inderectly penalise other teams and distort the table.

#8 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

You are right about Birmingham been on fire at the moment... and we didn't play that poorly, a few new ones like.

totally agree what Tim says as well

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#9 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

As an aside, I've really enjoyed being involved with Midlands Rugby League this year but can't help thinking the regular season is still too short.

14-16 games would've been perfect.

We actually played far more games last time I was coach at Chargers whilst we were still in the merit league (17 + playoffs if I recall correctly)

Edited by Pottsy, 05 August 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#10 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Will be an interesting end of season review meeting then :)

#11 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Will be an interesting end of season review meeting then :)

Comment from one of our lads on the Facebook group: "If the season last long I would be happy 2 miss union."

#12 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

Comment from one of our lads on the Facebook group: "If the season last long I would be happy 2 miss union."

Good stuff. Experience tells us tho that not everyone puts their money where their mouths are. A 14 week season is probs the max possible in 2014.

#13 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

Good stuff. Experience tells us tho that not everyone puts their money where their mouths are. A 14 week season is probs the max possible in 2014.

Tell me about it!

Assuming Midlands Premier moves to 12 teams (my snouts tell me Derby are stepping up) then 14 fixtures actually works if you have a regionalised draw.

Break the league into three regionalised (invisible) pools of four. Play everyone in you pool twice (six games) and all of the other teams once (eight games) = 14 games.

#14 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

Tell me about it!

Assuming Midlands Premier moves to 12 teams (my snouts tell me Derby are stepping up) then 14 fixtures actually works if you have a regionalised draw.

Break the league into three regionalised (invisible) pools of four. Play everyone in you pool twice (six games) and all of the other teams once (eight games) = 14 games.

If (when) Derby step up that would be 11. Come on Leamington, Pottsy's fixture list needs you!

North/East: Chargers, Derby, Nottingham, Sleaford
South: Northampton A, Leicester A, Cov Dragons, Cov Bears A
West: Birmingham, Telford, Leamington, NEW Ravens

#15 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

If (when) Derby step up that would be 11. Come on Leamington, Pottsy's fixture list needs you!

North/East: Chargers, Derby, Nottingham, Sleaford
South: Northampton A, Leicester A, Cov Dragons, Cov Bears A
West: Birmingham, Telford, Leamington, NEW Ravens

I think we've just rendered that bloke from Ilkeston redundant, Tim. Well done ;)

#16 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Joking apart, the key to running any league is to only admit teams who are likely to complete all of their fixtures.

The RLC suffered for years through rushed expansion, phantom teams and pandering to the lowest common denominator.

#17 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

I think we've just rendered that bloke from Ilkeston redundant, Tim. Well done ;)

That happened in March;) And i was born in Derby, thank you :P

#18 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

That happened in March;) And i was born in Derby, thank you :P

Fair enough ;)

You have to admit, that does look workable though :)

#19 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

Fair enough ;)

You have to admit, that does look workable though :)

Yes great proposition.

#20 RoyalsRL

RoyalsRL
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

If (when) Derby step up that would be 11. Come on Leamington, Pottsy's fixture list needs you!North/East: Chargers, Derby, Nottingham, SleafordSouth: Northampton A, Leicester A, Cov Dragons, Cov Bears AWest: Birmingham, Telford, Leamington, NEW Ravens

We will be there Tim. This year was about stabilising the club at a new venue, we are ready to push on now. Although I don't know if going straight into a league with Telford and Birmingham in would be ideal for us. I do have an alternative structure in mind but won't bore anyone with that.

One way to introduce more fixtures would be the creation of a Midlands Cup competition for tier 4. If it was a knockout cup it could add up to 4 extra fixtures to the season. If clubs wanted a longer season they would have to ensure a good cup run. Could also add another event to the Midlands RL calendar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users