todays results 02/08

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

We will be there Tim. This year was about stabilising the club at a new venue, we are ready to push on now. Although I don't know if going straight into a league with Telford and Birmingham in would be ideal for us. I do have an alternative structure in mind but won't bore anyone with that.

One way to introduce more fixtures would be the creation of a Midlands Cup competition for tier 4. If it was a knockout cup it could add up to 4 extra fixtures to the season. If clubs wanted a longer season they would have to ensure a good cup run. Could also add another event to the Midlands RL calendar.

We played Telford and Birmingham in second half of the season and, despite being at opposite ends of the table, ran both teams close.

There's actually not that big a difference between any of the teams and, IMO, the big league actually makes it feel like a proper competition, rather than a bit of a summer knockabout for union lads.

#22 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

I'm not a fan of Cups. If you have it pre-season and get knocked out, you end up playing a game then having a 3 week gap. Playing mid-season just disrupts things. We benefitted from having the rhythym of a match every week in terms of continuity.

All suggestions for league structures will be welcome, I'm sure!

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#23 RoyalsRL

RoyalsRL
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

Ive spoken to a few teams this year and In the region we have 13 sides who will be looking play regular fixtures in the Midlands league/s next season.

Telford Raiders, Cov Dragons, Birmingham Bulldogs, Northampton Demons A, Leicester Storm A, Sleaford Spartans, Cov Bears A, NEW Ravens, ND Chargers, Nottingham Outlaws A, Leamington Royals, Derby City, Cov Dragons A.

Make of that what you will but im guessing you can't have the Dragons and the Dragons A in the same league. I would rather we went back to two formal divisions in the midlands as this would make the step up for us, Derby and Dragons A easier as we wouldn't have to play Birmingham,Telford and Cov Dragons who are all noticeably stronger than us.

The below 4 teams (should they all return just want to play friendlies / merit league)

Wolverhampton, Coventry Warriors, Bedford A, Telford A

It's academic however until Mr Butler can tell us what is happening with National South for next season. As we could see some teams from the midlands either join or leave the competition based on what is happening there.

#24 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

It's academic however until Mr Butler can tell us what is happening with National South for next season. As we could see some teams from the midlands either join or leave the competition based on what is happening there.

Teams who want to play in National South next season - including the current  or  new ones - have to register their interest with the RFL before 31st August, so you might hear who's doing what after that date.  Depends on who you speak to as to what is happening in Nat South, I've heard that one team is definitely considering dropping out, but have also been told two teams are considering joining, but its all just rumour until its announced, I just hope that it will be done quickly as it effects a lot of clubs who need to know about next season. 

#25 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Ive spoken to a few teams this year and In the region we have 13 sides who will be looking play regular fixtures in the Midlands league/s next season.

Telford Raiders, Cov Dragons, Birmingham Bulldogs, Northampton Demons A, Leicester Storm A, Sleaford Spartans, Cov Bears A, NEW Ravens, ND Chargers, Nottingham Outlaws A, Leamington Royals, Derby City, Cov Dragons A.

Make of that what you will but im guessing you can't have the Dragons and the Dragons A in the same league. I would rather we went back to two formal divisions in the midlands as this would make the step up for us, Derby and Dragons A easier as we wouldn't have to play Birmingham,Telford and Cov Dragons who are all noticeably stronger than us.

The below 4 teams (should they all return just want to play friendlies / merit league)

Have Dragons A played enough games this season to show that they could fulfil a 12-14 game season? The best thing for us, for development rather than free points obviously, was that nobody cried off against us this year. We had our best performances against Telford and Birmingham.

#26 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

That sounds more like a plea for a division below Midlands Premier.

I certainly think it'd be a huge mistake to dismantle what IMO has been a very good (and more importantly stable) competition. The only thing I'd like to see is more games and a longer season. It would be a mistake to lower the bar though.

#27 RoyalsRL

RoyalsRL
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

I wouldn't call a suggestion a plea, I think our clubs just have different needs at this point in time.

#28 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

I wouldn't call a suggestion a plea, I think our clubs just have different needs at this point in time.

Sorry. Poor lexical choice. Your point above is what I'm driving at. Your club wants regular games but possibly not as many games at the perceived standard you would find in the Midlands Premier.

The answer to that is not to downgrade the premier division though. A better solution would be to create a second tier comp whilst continuing to drive up standards in the premier division.

#29 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

There have been expressions of interest for next season from 2 Midlands towns that haven't had clubs in recent years, if ever. Whether that turns into reality, and what level they play at, I don't know.

I wouldn't want to admit anyone into the Premier directly unless they could really show they could commit.

#30 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

There have been expressions of interest for next season from 2 Midlands towns that haven't had clubs in recent years, if ever. Whether that turns into reality, and what level they play at, I don't know.

I wouldn't want to admit anyone into the Premier directly unless they could really show they could commit.

I posted this at 6.39. I got a PM from Bowes at 6.37 asking who the teams were. How is this even possible? He really does have his finger on the pulse of amateur RL!

#31 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

I posted this at 6.39. I got a PM from Bowes at 6.37 asking who the teams were. How is this even possible? He really does have his finger on the pulse of amateur RL!

lol mystic bowes

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#32 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Whatever happened to Rugby League in Lincs? At one stage the county had half of its own RLC division (the very strong Yorks & Lincs conference) with teams at Lincoln, Scunthorpe and Grimsby (South Humber Rabbitohs) as well as a merit league team at Barton. Now there's just Sleaford. What happened?

#33 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Whatever happened to Rugby League in Lincs? At one stage the county had half of its own RLC division (the very strong Yorks & Lincs conference) with teams at Lincoln, Scunthorpe and Grimsby (South Humber Rabbitohs) as well as a merit league team at Barton. Now there's just Sleaford. What happened?

The North Lincs teams were battered into submission by being put into leagues with BARLA players in.

The people who were behind the Knights in Lincoln moved away and hadn't put any proper roots in place to keep it going when they went.

#34 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

The North Lincs teams were battered into submission by being put into leagues with BARLA players in.

The people who were behind the Knights in Lincoln moved away and hadn't put any proper roots in place to keep it going when they went.

I can recall them being in a division with Akkies, Moorends, Scarborough etc around 2006/7 and they all acquitted themselves well. I guess the slide must've occurred later.

It's a shame as they'd really add to the current Midlands set-up.

#35 RoyalsRL

RoyalsRL
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Sorry. Poor lexical choice. Your point above is what I'm driving at. Your club wants regular games but possibly not as many games at the perceived standard you would find in the Midlands Premier.
The answer to that is not to downgrade the premier division though. A better solution would be to create a second tier comp whilst continuing to drive up standards in the premier division.

Fair enough Mr Potts. I think you are probably right anyway. I have no issues with a longer season, I'd even say we are at a stage where most of our players favour RL, we are just not very good lol. We could manage the long season but I do worry about the gulf in standard between us and a few other teams and ultimately the safety of my players. Doesn't help we had an 88-0 defeat by Birmingham last season. I would liken our position to that of NDC before they joined the Premier last season....if its worked well for them I'm confident it could work for us.

#36 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

Fair enough Mr Potts. I think you are probably right anyway. I have no issues with a longer season, I'd even say we are at a stage where most of our players favour RL, we are just not very good lol. We could manage the long season but I do worry about the gulf in standard between us and a few other teams and ultimately the safety of my players. Doesn't help we had an 88-0 defeat by Birmingham last season. I would liken our position to that of NDC before they joined the Premier last season....if its worked well for them I'm confident it could work for us.

I think you're probably overblowing the standard of some if the teams, to be honest. The results are baffling at times; in one three week period we lost narrowly to Brum (26-16), the next week Brum put 88 on Cov whilst we put 60 on Nottingham and then the week after Cov put 40 on us. Try working out a form line on that!

As you've said, you're at a similar level to Chargers and, although we propped up the table, we managed the step up pretty well.

My advice, providing the players are fully committed, is to go for it.

#37 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think you're probably overblowing the standard of some if the teams, to be honest. The results are baffling at times; in one three week period we lost narrowly to Brum (26-16), the next week Brum put 88 on Cov whilst we put 60 on Nottingham and then the week after Cov put 40 on us. Try working out a form line on that!

As you've said, you're at a similar level to Chargers and, although we propped up the table, we managed the step up pretty well.

My advice, providing the players are fully committed, is to go for it.

You missed the one where Nottingham subsequently beat Cov Bears. "A" teams are variable quality and if you meet them when they are depleted you can win easily (or they blob on the fixture) but when the first team is fully stocked the "A" team can have a few of the fringe lads playing who are noticeably at a higher level and you get hammered.

#38 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

That 88 point drubbing was when we had 8 first team players away at the student World Cup. So we had 8 2nd teamers in the first team. You won't be surprised to read that the first team got hammered too.
But at least we completed both fixtures.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#39 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

That 88 point drubbing was when we had 8 first team players away at the student World Cup. So we had 8 2nd teamers in the first team. You won't be surprised to read that the first team got hammered too.
But at least we completed both fixtures.

Absolutely mate. I think we played you on a week when the first team had a week off. Nature of the beast.

#40 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Royals hammered Derby City in the final. I don't think they'll have a problem in the Premier next year - we haven't played them since that fantastic semi-final at Mount St Mary's in 2009 - hopefully we'll be meeting again in 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users