• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,745 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

BBC Linky

I've seen a lot of clubs in both codes of rugby rush back players with clear concussion or head injuries to suit the club's needs rather than the long term health of the player.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

I presume they still do the "head test" don't they? Not sure if this is a good enough judgement of whether a player is fit to play within a certain timeframe or not.

I have a vague recollection (maybe I've got it too) of Bradley Clyde being knocked out at Headingley trying to stop a try in the corner a few years back. He was stretchered off but Leeds had an important game the following week and it appeared in the press that he'd suffered an "ankle injury". He was in the team a few days later.

Fairly sure that was what happened but I'm happy to be proved wrong should "Outraged from Leeds" issue a legal threat.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#3 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

It always surprised me when a player gets knocked out cold, takes a few minutes to come round, gets up and shakes his head a bit then comes back on 10 minutes later. In any commercial industry you would be sent home and not expected to carry on. A knock out should result in a 2 week playing ban no matter how quickly they recover.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,751 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

Leeds Rhinos have thousands of fans. That's a clear link between rugby and early onset dementia.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

It always surprised me when a player gets knocked out cold, takes a few minutes to come round, gets up and shakes his head a bit then comes back on 10 minutes later. In any commercial industry you would be sent home and not expected to carry on. A knock out should result in a 2 week playing ban no matter how quickly they recover.

When I played for Pilks. in the 80s our coach at the time, Frank Wilson, had a policy of not playing any player for at least one week following any knock to the head.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#6 Student Ram

Student Ram
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

There's no evidence out there for fixed periods out.

Concussion is a functional injury hence why RL guidelines are based on resolution of symptoms (at rest, then during exercise) and passing the cog sport "head test" which is the only validated assessment system out there. The head test compares response times etc to baseline levels to Indicate resolution of symptoms. RFL bye laws are in line with the most recent international consensus statement on concussion management.
Indicators for head scans when structural brain injury is suspected are the same as for any other types of head injury in the UK - following NICE guidance.

In my experience coaches wouldn't put a player back on against advice if the player was still symptomatic.

That there is a Link with dementia given the number of repeated impacts however isn't that surprising.
"Fev - It's life on the edge" LA'M Nov 06
"Ermm, I think it needs an x-ray!"

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

There are other things besides dementia that repeated head trauma and concussion is linked to.  There's a huge lawsuit rumbling away in the states against the NFL involving a few thousand former players.

Edited by gingerjon, 06 August 2013 - 09:13 AM.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 Student Ram

Student Ram
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Agree GJ

The effect of a RL career or NFL/RU for that matter takes a pretty big toll on the body. The dementia stuff is just one way the brain responds in the same way joints end up arthritic or with micro fractures
"Fev - It's life on the edge" LA'M Nov 06
"Ermm, I think it needs an x-ray!"

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,751 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

You can't always tell when someone is concussed.

I once got concussed after clashing heads, got wobbly legs  and was taken off. Later on in the game, after I had been cheeiring and conversing as normal on the touchline, someone else got injured and  I insisted on going back on. The coach said I was quite lucid (he should have realised that something was wrong) and let me go on for the remainder of the game ... about twenty minutes or so.

I eventually "came round" in the showers afterwards; remembering nothing after clashing heads and having a terrible headache that lasted for an hour or so.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

I guess they needed research to show that pounding the head against an object does some damage. American football, rugby league, rugby union, and football all have hits to the head to some degree. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users