Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

David Gents letter to the Community Clubs

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Not strictly true.

The posting on here was on the 23rd June?  Copying an email sent to all clubs?  Does it take that long to sort an EGM?  If so it sort of highlights a problem in the emergency bit of the name?

That thread went quiet but I'm sure its all in hand.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#22 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 737 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

The posting on here was on the 23rd June?  Copying an email sent to all clubs?  Does it take that long to sort an EGM?  If so it sort of highlights a problem in the emergency bit of the name?

Your correct BR..........its all in hand  ;)

#23 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

Committee men/women go on Holidays as well, you know the same problem that is stopping summer clubs being at full strength.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#24 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Because the changes would affect them?

Seriously, if some of the professional committee politicians on here put their petty grievances, malignant politicking and ludicrous lack of judgement reference the relative importance of different issues to one side, the game would be thriving at all levels.

The RFL and above them the RLIF should be the sole point(s) of authority for the UK game. Any other bodies should be advisory only.

Think you need to go and buy a copy of this weeks league express ?

#25 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

The emails asking for an EGM went out at the end of June, 6 weeks ago? Surely an EGM would of been called by now if the numbers were there, especially as everyone wanted the EGM?

They got an email back from the NWC management telling them what they had to do in accordance with the constitution. They didn't do it and the ordinary meeting came and went, during which certain individuals spent their time thumbing through their copy handbooks wondering what to do. Not sure who's inbox the NWC email had been sat in between the time it was sent and the NWC meeting, but it was a couple of weeks at least.

LC keeps saying its a in hand but unless they get the agreement of 30% of the NWC club secretarys and EGM ain't going to happen.

#26 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 737 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

They got an email back from the NWC management telling them what they had to do in accordance with the constitution. They didn't do it and the ordinary meeting came and went, during which certain individuals spent their time thumbing through their copy handbooks wondering what to do. Not sure who's inbox the NWC email had been sat in between the time it was sent and the NWC meeting, but it was a couple of weeks at least.

LC keeps saying its a in hand but unless they get the agreement of 30% of the NWC club secretarys and EGM ain't going to happen.

And you seem so very desperate to know where its all up to................I wonder why that is...............got a little agenda of your own ;) 

#27 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

Will read it tomorrow afternoon, any particular section?

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#28 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

And you seem so very desperate to know where its all up to................I wonder why that is...............got a little agenda of your own ;)

If I put just half a mind to it, I don't think you'd bother. But I have more constructive volunteering to do Mr Activist.

#29 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 737 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

If I put just half a mind to it, I don't think you'd bother. But I have more constructive volunteering to do Mr Activist.

LOL!

#30 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Just read the letter from Anthony Murray, I'm not surprised really, it's the same message I've been getting on my travels.

#31 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Just read the letter from Anthony Murray, I'm not surprised really, it's the same message I've been getting on my travels.

It's not just Muzzas letter there is wide spread criticism thougout all sections of the game .

#32 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

As my copy has mysteriously not arrived can you précis the letter please
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#33 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

As my copy has mysteriously not arrived can you précis the letter please

Murray was a strong advocate of summer rugby but is having second thoughts

due to:

Inability to field consistent team selection over player availability

June & July should be given to the NCL cup and one NCL fixture during this break.

Falling playing standards from before the switch.

Feels a season's work can be undermined by not having his best players available during crucial periods.

Says NCL should be regionalised outside the Premier division to give more players opportunity to work saturday mornings.

says Volunteers can't wait for the season to end.

Comments that the standard of officials is poor as previously, higher grade officials would turn out in winter after their summer duties.

Wonders whether the players want summer rugby.

Edited by Cutsyke Raiders, 06 August 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#34 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have to agree with muzzas points however I was not completely convinced by the summer argument but the club I was with at the time had a democratic vote amongst its players and volunteers and the rest is history.

Personally I think the amatuer game certainly at open age level is now at the most perilous of cross roads and we need to get the next big decisions spot on or we will see our open age game decline further.

Worrying times ahead in my opinion

#35 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

I have to agree with muzzas points however I was not completely convinced by the summer argument but the club I was with at the time had a democratic vote amongst its players and volunteers and the rest is history.

Personally I think the amatuer game certainly at open age level is now at the most perilous of cross roads and we need to get the next big decisions spot on or we will see our open age game decline further.

Worrying times ahead in my opinion

Your correct and to make the right decision the facts have to be transparent and truthful.

#36 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Murray was a strong advocate of summer rugby but is having second thoughts
due to:

Inability to field consistent team selection over player availability

ABSOLUTELY. THE STATS SHOW THIS. NO SHORTAGE OF PLAYERS REGISTERED TO PLAY BUT OBVIOUS DIFFICULTIES SELECTING A REGULAR TEAM.

June & July should be given to the NCL cup and one NCL fixture during this break.

POSSIBLY. THE STRUCTURE OF THE SUMMER SEASON NEEDS LOOKING AT. I'M ALL IN FAVOUR OF A BREAK OF SOME DESCRIPTION. THIS IS CERTAINLY AN OPTION.

Falling playing standards from before the switch.

YES BUT WAS TO BE EXPECTED AND GIVEN TIME STANDARDS WILL RISE.

Feels a season's work can be undermined by not having his best players available during crucial periods.

NOT ENTIRELY SURE THIS IS TRUE. UNAVAILABILITY OF PLAYERS SEEMS WORSE IN MAIN SUMMER MONTHS RATHER THAN TOWARDS THE BUSINESS END OF THE SEASON.

Says NCL should be regionalised outside the Premier division to give more players opportunity to work saturday mornings.

I'D LOOK FOR REGIONALISATION TO INCLUDE THE PREMIER DIVISION. NOT ONLY WOULD GIVE PLAYERS AN OPPORTUNITY TO WORK SAT MORNINGS IT WOULD ALSO REDUCE TRAVEL COSTS.

says Volunteers can't wait for the season to end.

I'M NOT SENSING THIS. I'D RATHER SPEND AN AFTERNOON IN THE SUN WATCHING RUGBY OF A SLIGHTLY INFERIOR STANDARD THAN BE STUCK AT HOME WITH THE MISSUS.

Comments that the standard of officials is poor as previously, higher grade officials would turn out in winter after their summer duties.

STANDARDS ARE NOT GREAT. I WOULDN'T PUT THAT DOWN TO WINTER OR SUMMER RUGBY RATHER DECLINING NUMBERS OF OFFICIALS WHICH HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR SOME TIME.

Wonders whether the players want summer rugby.

I THINK THEY DO BUT WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME CHANGES.

Just a couple of other things. The numbers of spectators seems to be a contentious point. In my experience the overall number of spectators watching rugby thoughout the clubs I am involved with has risen. But the numbers of paying spectators has fallen. This shortfall in revenue needs addressing. The rise in the overall number of spectators will help through increased bar revenue, but work is also needed to the programming and structure of the NCL league to increase the number of paying spectators. A mid season break and shorter journeys will help. At the end of the day standards may have fallen but I don't think the entertainment value has.

Finally, the local paper carried a piece on Siddal starting a cubs section which has attracted nearly 40 players under 6. in my opinion it is inconceivable they would have even attempted this let alone attract 40 odd children during the winter. Other clubs up and down the heartlands are starting up mini teams at 7,8 & 9 year olds where they otherwise have few if any junior teams.Any thoughts of moving juniors back to a winter based system would be catastrophic. Summer rugby works for the professional game, it works for the junior game and with a bit of common sense will work for the rest. Let's focus on ironing out the flaws in the summer season rather than trying to drag the game back into the dark ages.

Edited by Gar, 20 August 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#37 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

This does not add anything to the debate, but, summer rugby is ######! I have stopped playing summer, my teams crowds are down, and I have not played with the same players for more than two games in a row. the officials do try hard, but I do not think they are particularly good. there is no consistency in playing standards, and it has devalued the prem division. I can go out with my family on weekends and evenings, I will now book a holiday for next year. bye rugby league, I used to enjoy you , but them days are over

#38 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Always a shame to lose anybody to the game. Some casualties were inevitable as are the flaws. Unfortunately, time constraints doesn't allow flaws to be rectified quickly enough to please everyone. Thankfully the junior set ups are looking strong and a new generation will soon be coming through who appreciate the benefits summer rugby brings .

#39 Back In The Good Old Days

• Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

That new generation coming through take their holidays on july/august and attend every festival going.
Whilst rome burns the powers that be fiddle like nero!

These matters need addressing now or we stand to lose more players more volunteers.

#40 Back In The Good Old Days

• Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

That new generation coming through take their holidays on july/august and attend every festival going.
Whilst rome burns the powers that be fiddle like nero!

These matters need addressing now or we stand to lose more players more volunteers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users