Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

French Players who have been part of the English Game

Excluding Catalans

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,068 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

To be honest the only French players I can remember was a good little winger called pascal bonati, who went to French rugby union and prop or second row didier cabastany.

I saw him play RU once. Interestingly, on the opposing side was Salesi Finau, another code-switcher who'd once played for (I think) Warrington.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#62 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Salesi Finau, another code-switcher who'd once played for (I think) Warrington.

Prop for Warrington, winger for Llanelli.

:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#63 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ah PSG!
1st game v Sheffield with ten French men, a Pole, a Kiwi,a Tongan,a Moldovan & three Aussies. Was it...

Lucchese
Bomati
Banquet
Chamorin
Piscunov
Entat
Brown
Cabastany
Kacala
Adams
Pech
Subs
Sands
Torreilles
Turner

coach - Mazare ass coach Ellis

The French Federation President was quoted,"Paris was like a beautiful women, very attractive but making increasing demands the more time you spent with her!"

Edited by audois, 06 August 2013 - 11:20 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#64 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Off the top of my head I can think of nine Frenchmen who played for Sheffield

Jerome Vincent
David Fraisse
Jean Marc Garcia
Laurent Lucchese (pronounced Luck-ay-zee)
Freddie Banquet
Freddie Teixido
Alex Doutres
Sylvain Houles
Yacine Dekkiche
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#65 Quinskolar

Quinskolar
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Not forgetting Dazi Abdurahman who played on the wing  for London in the 1990s.

#66 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Full back Jeremy Guiraud and half back Mourad Kriouche from Carcassonne played at Skolars.
Also Amar Sabri had spells at Hull Academy and Whitehaven.
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"

#67 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

Ah PSG!
1st game v Sheffield with ten French men, a Pole, a Kiwi,a Tongan,a Moldovan & three Aussies. Was it...

Lucchese
Bomati
Banquet
Chamorin
Piscunov
Entat
Brown
Cabastany
Kacala
Adams
Pech
Subs
Sands
Torreilles
Turner

coach - Mazare ass coach Ellis

The French Federation President was quoted,"Paris was like a beautiful women, very attractive but making increasing demands the more time you spent with her!"

Wasn't Vincent Wulf the hooker?

rldfsignature.jpg

#68 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

I think he was!  Audois should know that as he went to his retirement do (version 17) last year.

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#69 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

Wasn't Vincent Wulf the hooker?

Yes, he was. Definitely.

#70 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Born in Bordeaux to an English mother (from Hull) and Senegalese father.

That is probably true, although at the time he signed for Northern I think the T & A described him as being of French Algerian heritage. The T & A don't get everything right, and the Constable Youth Club bit is definitely correct. He spoke with a Hull accent.

I seem to remember some debate around him not being able to return to France (eg if selected for an international) because he would have been conscripted for National Service.

Bak had wonderful handling skills but lacked size, pace and mongrel.

And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#71 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

Regis Pastre started on the wing for Batley, then must have bulked up a bit, since I later saw him playing at Prop for Paris SG versus London at Charlton FC!

I bumped into Regis after our game at Toulouse in 2010. He'd turned up with his wife and kids to catch up with some old faces from the club. Don't remember him playing on the wing for us, though - he was a second rower during his time at Batley and then played as a wingman for Paris some years later. Very talented, but never really had much of a chance to prove himself in England.

Edited by TheTerminator, 07 August 2013 - 08:46 PM.

Posted Image

#72 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,068 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

That is probably true, although at the time he signed for Northern I think the T & A described him as being of French Algerian heritage. The T & A don't get everything right, and the Constable Youth Club bit is definitely correct. He spoke with a Hull accent.

I seem to remember some debate around him not being able to return to France (eg if selected for an international) because he would have been conscripted for National Service.

This talk of Diabira has finally got me to buy a copy of XIII Winters*, which I've been meaning to get for ages. Chapter 1 is about Blackpool, written with a total lack of bias** by Dave Hadfield and he also praises Bak's handling but points out his recurring knee problems, especially at that late period in his career.

* 1p plus postage, bought second-hand.

**yeah, right!  :D

Edited by Futtocks, 08 August 2013 - 08:27 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#73 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

His handling skills would have made the Harlem Globetrotters look shabby - and they rehearsed their moves...

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#74 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Vincent Banet played at Workington didn't he?  Now on the coaching staff at ASC.

Are the Bentley boys playing in the Championship at the mo?

www.mistersaucisse.fr

#75 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

Vincent Banet played at Workington didn't he?  Now on the coaching staff at ASC.

Are the Bentley boys playing in the Championship at the mo?

Yes, one at Dewsbury the other at Oxford with another of the Bentley family; Valu.

#76 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for that - I knew that Valu was at Oxford.  Good to see t'other two over in the UK. 

www.mistersaucisse.fr

#77 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

In the early 90s there were two French lads at Huddersfield that I remember. A fullback called Laurent Lucchese and a winger called Pierre Jammes.

I remember Luchesse being a superb player to watch, a real eye for the counter attack

My Mrs thought he was also great to watch but for very different reasons

#78 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

I remember Luchesse being a superb player to watch, a real eye for the counter attack

My Mrs thought he was also great to watch but for very different reasons

Lucchese.  The name is Italian, though he is French, obviously.

#79 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Ah PSG!

Lucchese
Bomati
Banquet
Chamorin
Piscunov Moldovan
Entat
Brown Aussie
Cabastany
Wulf Kiwi
Kacala Pole
Adams Tongan
Pech
Subs
Sands Aussie
Torreilles
Turner Aussie

I’m short of the two French lads. I’ll have to have a word with Vincent Wulf who lives round the corner. He’s up at the crack of dawn working on the new hospital extension in Toulouse. May yet make another season I hear at Villegailhenc.

Paul - Yes Chamorin was a super classy player wasn’t he. He would be a walkin at Dragons today I reckon. Odd is’nt it that decade here we had a number of outstanding backs. After Chamorin we had that great centre pairing at St Gaudens of Sirvent and Dulac, the rapier and the cudgel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users