• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#301 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

bottom 2 remaining fixtures are:
hunslet have york away,sheffield away and fev at home.
york have hunslet home,town away,donny away anf batley at home.
i think the bottom 2 have gone looking at them fixtures. i can only see 1 win out of all the fixtures and thats the game between themselves.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#302 bs77

bs77
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Cant see how there will ever be any consistancy playing a scrum half that dosnt nowmally play or train with the team.. Really think th 6/7/9 should be settled.

#303 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

bottom 2 remaining fixtures are:
hunslet have york away,sheffield away and fev at home.
york have hunslet home,town away,donny away anf batley at home.
i think the bottom 2 have gone looking at them fixtures. i can only see 1 win out of all the fixtures and thats the game between themselves.

Thanks, Even with all the odd results we've had in the league this year I should sleep a little easier tonight!

#304 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

Cant see how there will ever be any consistancy playing a scrum half that dosnt nowmally play or train with the team.. Really think th 6/7/9 should be settled.

i think if fit it has to be lupton,callum and matty. no one else should really come in to consideration. matty is a constant and 9 times out of 10 lupton is at stand off, but why we consistently swap our scrum half is beyond me.

#305 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

i think if fit it has to be lupton,callum and matty. no one else should really come in to consideration. matty is a constant and 9 times out of 10 lupton is at stand off, but why we consistently swap our scrum half is beyond me.

I think it's because we haven't a natural number 7 other than Callum, who is also being used as Matty's relief number 9.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#306 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Just to say thanks to the fans who made the trip down yesterday. A real nice bunch who took defeat like true sportsmen.

You also put a bit into our coffers over The Phoenix Bar.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#307 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Finally !!!! Someone said something about people who've played the game actually know what their on about somewhere once upon a time

#308 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

Finally !!!! Someone said something about people who've played the game actually know what their on about somewhere once upon a time

I think if you read what others have said they more or less agree with bs77 but as I have said we don't have a natural number 7 other than Callum who also has to play hooker. We have Lupton at 6 and Matty at 9 so we either play Callum at 7 and find someone else to spell Matty or we look for alternatives at 7.

And why do you presume that because others don't agree with your rantings that they never played the game?

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#309 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

I think if you read what others have said they more or less agree with bs77 but as I have said we don't have a natural number 7 other than Callum who also has to play hooker. We have Lupton at 6 and Matty at 9 so we either play Callum at 7 and find someone else to spell Matty or we look for alternatives at 7.

And why do you presume that because others don't agree with your rantings that they never played the game?

dont you know your not allowed an opinion unless youve played the game keith.

#310 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

dont you know your not allowed an opinion unless youve played the game keith.

Ha ha, sometimes I wish I hadn't but I can't understand how they think they are re-inventing the wheel. The spine of any RL team has always been 1, 6, 7, 9, and 13 and when I started watching Town that was Risman, Thomas, Pepperill, McKeating and Ivison.

#311 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Well said wonky . What a ridiculous , superior and patronising comment . I've watched the game all my life and have a few brain cells to make some opinions in some sort of coherent manner but hands up , I never played for Great Britain , admitted.

Edited by DavidM, 13 August 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#312 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

If we had Jonathan Thurston we wouldn't need to change our seven every week ... But we haven't . We've a young kid right out of the amateurs who's learning the game , covering two positions , is playing high pressure rugby and in high responsibility position every week , and is a targeted man who's starting to hurt in recent weeks ... So we need to change now n again ... So you try your back up and he isn't up to it consistently ... So you call your DR . Of all the criticisms of the coaches that isn't even on the radar for me . They've done what I would do , look for the best alternative when needed and spelled Callum out of the firing line . But no doubt they know to that he's our long term man there . But it's tough this year to pile everything on him . You get offered Craven who's gonna reject him ?
Our problems are far deeper than that , anyone who stops at changing a number 7 is delusional . We make to many basic errors , we're to one dimensional , we lack consistency and we struggle for points because we lack flair and strike in the points creation and finishing positions . Our pack gets us into positions , but those behind cant take advantage . These are all systemic things to tinker with in the off season , and credit where its due for all our frustrations , we are gonna do it from a solid base in this league , which is a mighty good start to build from .

Edited by DavidM, 13 August 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#313 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

At the start of this season most fans would have been happy finishing 1 place above the relegation zone, the truth if the matter is we have shown we can compete and survive at this level. At the start of the season who would have predicted we could beat 2 of the top 5 this season? Probably no one!! But we have!!!

We have lost matches we should have won, and yet we are still in with a good chance of making the playoffs, and also of finishing above the deluded ones down the road.

Anyone notice how quickly that lot turned on their "Superstar World Class" team after Sundays defeat?

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#314 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

I'll be really interested to see Keighley after that result . Totally bizarre to ship 50 at usually a tough place to go , and against a side in the bottom few . Hope it's a totally freak one and they haven't become Wigan overnight !

#315 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'll be really interested to see Keighley after that result . Totally bizarre to ship 50 at usually a tough place to go , and against a side in the bottom few . Hope it's a totally freak one and they haven't become Wigan overnight !

i suppose they ran in 24 against us in the 1st half. but i think haven have went in expecting an easy game and keighley are scrapping for there lives, we should win and it should be comfortable. but that word 'should' is used in that sentence way too much for my liking.

#316 bs77

bs77
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

My point wasnt just about changing the scrum half its the fact he dosnt train or play regular with them ain key and the key to any good team at any level is having players in key positions that know the game plan inside out. that other players are confident running off and building up an understanding with each other. As well as back rowers centres etc learning the traits of the halves etc and understanding what position to put them selves in. massive part of the game is comunication and understanding.

#317 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

Sums it up well that wonky .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users