Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Team for hunslet

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#41 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Interesting to see how well the Coyle boys play on Sunday. James has been a regular since his move.

i never rated James when he was at Barrow but I must say he looked fairly useful in the 2nd half against us the other week ;)

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#42 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

I hope the Coyle brothers are playing on Sunday . Funny how they've hit the rocks with them around and Helliwell and Grimshaw injured .

Edited by DavidM, 07 August 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#43 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

If Millers hearing is not till next tuesday i expect he will be able to play at Hunslet, so lets hope either briscoe or carter are fit,or better still both.

#44 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

If all our fit it would be good in the near future to see Briscoe at fullback and Carter and Miller in the centres just to have a look at something new and fresh with the main pressure off .I do like Hulme , but look at what you have in house before recruiting - try someone in a different position , they may take to it ?If you don't try you don't know ? Try people in positions , like Connor on the wing to , with an eye on next year as well .

Edited by DavidM, 07 August 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#45 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Connor would be wasted to me on the wing!! He is showing every game to me he is a decent player and given the Chance can be creative

#46 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

I see him as a goal kicking asset , but being an overseas player of some pedigree I'm sorry I can't say I've seen anything out of the ordinary from him .Ive backed him all the way , but he's not really influencing games . May be his bad luck , but when you're brought in from his background , and with decent raps , you'd expect more in my opinion . I take into account his service of course , but even so there've been minimal moments that have made you sit up and say wow . We're crying out for new blood in the centres who can give the necessary try scoring return at this level .

Edited by DavidM, 07 August 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#47 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Gotta back him to the season ends these few games I hope he shows why he was sought after at the start of the season

Edited by havenhater, 07 August 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#48 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Agreed , maybe not his fault the spotlight is on him because of an accent , but it is , and he's yet to show why we brought him in and with such fanfare ? He is completely muscle bound , he must be able to run , so maybe just get him on the end of stuff and say run that way fast in a straight line !!

#49 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

In fact I'd be really interested to hear people's opinions of Red and Connor looking ahead ....If they wanted it would you keep them ??

Edited by DavidM, 07 August 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#50 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

With a full fit team i would like to see this be out 17
Briscoe Miller Carter Connor/Mossop Flynn Lupton Callum Dowes Matty Thackray Phillips Stack Olstrom bench Acton Coward Morris Shacks/Rooney

#51 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

In fact I'd be really interested to hear people's opinions of Red and Connor looking ahead ....If they wanted it would you keep them ??

I would keep both. I think when Red plays in the pack he looks more involved and as if he is enjoying it. A bit raw maybe but the experience will improve him. As for Connor, I don't see him as a winger or a centre. I would give him a couple or so games as Matty's replacement from the bench. He has a good strong pass and I'm sure he could scoot from acting halfback with his upper body strength getting him through the line. We haven't seen him at 6 or 7 enough and he seems to be very quiet on the field where you really need a talker and organiser.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#52 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Big red seems to love being in a town shirt to me a young fella with a big future Id like to see him around next year for our charge to get in super league

#53 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

without a doubt i would keep red, he looks the part as a second rower. the jury is still out on kayle unfortunately, dosent involve himself enough in my opinion. but im pretty sure both are still here next year anyhow as they signed 2 year deals.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#54 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'd agree with that . Red has the physique to be anything he wants to be . He just needs find the confidence to use it and start believing he can knock trees over . He needs to improve his fitness and his basic handling skills , but he is an investment for the future . He is a second row for me from next year , and hopefully another offseason will see him come on . We must start to see more end product from him consistently though and not just bits of promise . Connor ? Pass . An enigma for me . Lots of talk when he came but not much payback . The fact we're still talking about different positions tells a tale in itself . He hasn't settled successfully anywhere . If he's here he needs to be better and he needs better service to show his skill . He's no automatic choice though . If we strengthen in the backs he has to fight hard to keep up . You'd hope and think both had much more in their locker .

#55 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

well danny craven and briscoe are playing sunday as there both training with us tonight.

#56 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Very good and very sensible .

Edited by DavidM, 08 August 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#57 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

hulme is on his way up as well and you would assume paddy will be there.

#58 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Empty your PM inbox wonky

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#59 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

its done keith

#60 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Mines already empty......come on....spill.