Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Coventry question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

When Coventry Bears enter the Championship in 2015 will they rebrand the community club to differentiate between the pro club (that I'm assuming will look to draw players and supporters from across the region) and the grassroots club?

With Bears A, Dragons, Warriors and Leamington on their doorstep the Bears potentially have the kind of grassroots catchment that some 'heartlands' clubs would be envious of.

Edited by Pottsy, 05 August 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Bowes, bowes wherefore art thou bowes?

#3 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

When Coventry Bears enter the Championship in 2015 will they rebrand the community club to differentiate between the pro club (that I'm assuming will look to draw players and supporters from across the region) and the grassroots club?

With Bears A, Dragons, Warriors and Leamington on their doorstep the Bears potentially have the kind of grassroots catchment that some 'heartlands' clubs would be envious of.

I would advise them not to as the championship one side will be fed by the community clubs mentioned and beating the bears A side might carry more kudos than Coventry Cubs. The situation is the same as the Bears side joining NL3, they are not moving from the amateur ranks to the professional; they can pay players now if they want to and they can play players that receive no fee in championship one.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#4 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

The flip side to that argument is that they may not want to cause divisions in the local area by favouring one community club over the others, particularly if they want the lads at Warriors, Dragons, Royals etc to identify with the Bears as their pro club.

I guess Bowes will have an idea.

#5 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

I would keep it the same, just like Hemel and All Golds have done. The key is not the name, its the work they for the good of all community clubs that is important.

#6 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

Slightly different scenario as there aren't any other clubs in Hemel and UGAG has never been or had a community club.

#7 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

Slightly different scenario as there aren't any other clubs in Hemel and UGAG has never been or had a community club.

Not true, there are other clubs in Herts and Gloucestershire All Golds U16s won the Midlands RL U16s in 2012 and they run a 16s and 18s team.

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Not true, there are other clubs in Herts and Gloucestershire All Golds U16s won the Midlands RL U16s in 2012 and they run a 16s and 18s team.

Good point. I forgot All Golds were running juniors.

#9 Cov Dragons Dogsbody

Cov Dragons Dogsbody
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Doesnt just have to be Warwickshire teams filtering in, surely the likes of Birmingham, Leicester and Northampton can all be part of the party no?

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

The flip side to that argument is that they may not want to cause divisions in the local area by favouring one community club over the others, particularly if they want the lads at Warriors, Dragons, Royals etc to identify with the Bears as their pro club.

I guess Bowes will have an idea.

He PMed me with this (slightly edited):-

Last I heard the plan is to have a Coventry Bears A team playing Conference South (would probably be half the current team once recruitment is done at first team level) then we'd have the likes of Coventry Warriors and Leamington Royals below.

As for juniors think they'll keep the Bears name but they eventually want more junior sides.

#11 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

The problem for their junior development is that they are not playing enough games, and not playing at a high enough level.

They do have a good local source of Union players though.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users