30 replies to this topic

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Exactly
Under NB the wheels had well and truly fallen off by Magic Weekend
With signs of hope a few weeks out from the playoffs that were soon dashed (qv. Saints currently)
Brough hasn't gone missing yet this season.
But he has been let down by his team mates
It's up to them to perform on Friday

Cough cough
I can remember three times :P

Has been very good this season TBF

#22 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Cough cough
I can remember three times :P

Has been very good this season TBF

The whole team tend to go missing when we play Wire, but after the usual result It's always Brough who has gone missing, Nobody talks about any of the forwards, who are generally the main problem, but Hey ho. Warrington Pack almost without exception give us a mauling and tell me any half in Super league who shows up well from behind a pack going backwards.

There are one or two exceptional players like Tomkins ( fullback ) who has the class to do something special against the tide, But should we concider him to have gone missing if he isn't doing it every week. Lee Briers for me has been one of the most underrated players in the last 10 years, but i have seen him have some very quiet games, especially against Saints in the days they had the Wires number, much like Wire have ours now.

Brough should be in the reckoning for MOS, I'm not saying he should get it , but thank God it's the players and not the fans that vote for it.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#23 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

The whole team tend to go missing when we play Wire, but after the usual result It's always Brough who has gone missing, Nobody talks about any of the forwards, who are generally the main problem, but Hey ho. Warrington Pack almost without exception give us a mauling and tell me any half in Super league who shows up well from behind a pack going backwards.
 There are one or two exceptional players like Tomkins ( fullback ) who has the class to do something special against the tide, But should we concider him to have gone missing if he isn't doing it every week. Lee Briers for me has been one of the most underrated players in the last 10 years, but i have seen him have some very quiet games, especially against Saints in the days they had the Wires number, much like Wire have ours now.
 Brough should be in the reckoning for MOS, I'm not saying he should get it , but thank God it's the players and not the fans that vote for it.

Good post.

Tomkins has gone missing in many matches against the wire, iirc he's only scored one super league try against us.

Brough is a solid player and I do respect him

#24 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

I suspect whoever loses on Friday will end up 3rd...

#25 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

I suspect whoever loses on Friday will end up 3rd...

I also think this.

#26 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

The whole team tend to go missing when we play Wire, but after the usual result It's always Brough who has gone missing, Nobody talks about any of the forwards, who are generally the main problem.

erm doesn't that work both ways though, what you are saying is basically its because of Brough when the giants win but not his fault when they lose.

I think that argument is too simplistic.

Fwiw I think Brough has had a great season and would be my favourite to win MOS, I will say this to the Giants fans, you've not won anything yet!

#27 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

That's the last thing you need to tell us lol

#28 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

Wire and Giants still in the tree. Bless.
Is Brough really that much more effective than Chase who pretty much always plays behind a beaten pack and the serial winner of big games Sinfield? I don't see it.
If he can't even out play Myler, that says it all for me.
He's good and wouldn't let us down, but it's massively over stating the case to put him up there with automatic selections such as Tomkins, Hall, Burgess etc.
Worth a lively debate though. Dave T has it right - let's see how the rest of the year goes before judging him on his performances at the end of the year.

#29 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

Wire and Giants still in the tree. Bless.
Is Brough really that much more effective than Chase who pretty much always plays behind a beaten pack and the serial winner of big games Sinfield? I don't see it.
If he can't even out play Myler, that says it all for me.
He's good and wouldn't let us down, but it's massively over stating the case to put him up there with automatic selections such as Tomkins, Hall, Burgess etc.
Worth a lively debate though. Dave T has it right - let's see how the rest of the year goes before judging him on his performances at the end of the year.

He might niot be up there with Tomkins, Hall and Burgess et al, but in the specific position of a half back, he is one of the best English born players available and that is why it seems such a waste to let him go to Scotland just because of a personality clash, or a dislike on the part of the coach. Myler plays scrum half, if i am correct, and could well be in there alongside Brough in the halves if Brough had remained available to England.

Anyhow, as i said on an earlier post, england's loss is Scotland's gain and could make them a surprise dark horse in the World Cup.

#30 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Anyhow, as i said on an earlier post, england's loss is Scotland's gain and could make them a surprise dark horse in the World Cup.

Only if the forwards play well though  ;)

#31 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Only if the forwards play well though  ;)

I think i understand your smiley but, the Scots are assembling a very solid team. I think Oliver Wilkes is one very solid forward of SL calibre and one of the Henderson brothers is another and they have several NRL players as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users