Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Work

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

I know I'm not gong to get much sympathy from some on here, but after a 7 month suspension for not doing the paperwork correctly, and a disciplinary hearing last Wednesday, I got the letter I was dreading today.

I've been sacked.

Unison have told me to appeal, and a local solicitor has advised me prior, that if the worst case scenario happens, we could sue for wrongful dismissal.
There was a Greivance in before I was suspended.

Very soon I will/may have to cut off my Bband, so you may soon see the last of me.

I have enjoyed the banter, but not the out & out hatred I have encountered, although this is in its minority.

I thank those who have supported me in the past all the best, and those who haven't, I still love you for supporting Rugby LEAGUE

GOD bless, THINK!
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#2 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

I know I'm not gong to get much sympathy from some on here, but after a 7 month suspension for not doing the paperwork correctly, and a disciplinary hearing last Wednesday, I got the letter I was dreading today.

I've been sacked.

Unison have told me to appeal, and a local solicitor has advised me prior, that if the worst case scenario happens, we could sue for wrongful dismissal.

Very soon I will/may have to cut off my Bband, so you may soon see the last of me.

I have enjoyed the banter, but not the out & out hatred I have encountered, although this is in its minority.

I thank those who have supported me in the past all the best, and those who haven't, I still love you for supporting Rugby LEAGUE

GOD bless, THINK!

sacked from what job? tomorrows another day fkcu em

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

You're not appealing.

It's been somewhat frustrating to read a regular feed of your gradual self destruction. I hope you get it together, but I think you'd be better served getting it together rather than wasting your time on here when you've got more important things to deal with.

If you've done nothing wrong, and your union supports you then there's usually only one result.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 05 August 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#4 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,288 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

I've been sacked.

GOD bless, THINK!

Whooooooaaaa there fella
You've got your appeal yet

That should take a while
Whilst that's going on and should take a while look out for another gig owt that keeps the wheels turning

And see what happens from there
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Everyone gets sacked sooner or later. 

Whatever you have done,though,  you still have rights. Take your union's advice, too  (and of course, responsibilities, though some of what you've admitted to on here is pretty bad) 

#6 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

Everyone gets sacked sooner or later.

Nice, but it's a job I've done for 27 years & I'm NW 51, in Hastings, with a low job/applicant ratio
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#7 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Nice, but it's a job I've done for 27 years & I'm NW 51, in Hastings, with a low job/applicant ratio

could be a blessing in disguise-I been self employed for almost all my life (and could prob now not accept having a boss)- theres a big world out there, don't be scared its just a transission period

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,288 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

so you're 51 you've got the sack, who's fault is that?

people are being supportive of you on here: but for all anybody knows it might be your own incompetence or misconduct that's led to your getting the sack...but nevertheless people inclkuding me have been supportive of you.

what do you want people to do feel sorry for you and rub your belly? 

I don't agree with John. I've never been sacked from a job so I don't know what its like, but bloody hell my instinct for survival would make me take stock and figure something out: anything. Wont you be entitled to benefits?

Keeping it local

#9 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

could be a blessing in disguise-I been self employed for almost all my life (and could prob now not accept having a boss)- theres a big world out there, don't be scared its just a transission period

He's right. You now have all day to make a bit of money.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Zero hours contracts are all the rage.

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Bleep

Think of your family; they need you to hang on to your job.

Think of your employers; they are fed up of you.

Put in an appeal and tell them you are aware of both facts and will change.

Hopefully, the bosses will cut you some slack and give you another chance.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

so you're 51 you've got the sack, who's fault is that?

people are being supportive of you on here: but for all anybody knows it might be your own incompetence or misconduct that's led to your getting the sack...but nevertheless people inclkuding me have been supportive of you.

what do you want people to do feel sorry for you and rub your belly? 

I don't agree with John. I've never been sacked from a job so I don't know what its like, but bloody hell my instinct for survival would make me take stock and figure something out: anything. Wont you be entitled to benefits?

I don't agree with John.

On average, you and I have both been fired once.   ^_^

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,288 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

I don't agree with John.

I don't agree with John.

I see

are they both interesting stories?

Keeping it local

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

No.  I was in a high pressure, high target  success-oriented hire and fire occupation and on both occasions my boss didn't think I had the skills to carry the job forward ( well, one thought I was after his job and the other was a ###### so I was better off out.)   Second time I was invited to the boardroom, terminated and was off the premises within 2 hours.

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,288 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

No.  I was in a high pressure, high target  success-oriented hire and fire occupation and on both occasions my boss didn't think I had the skills to carry the job forward ( well, one thought I was after his job and the other was a ###### so I was better off out.)   Second time I was invited to the boardroom, terminated and was off the premises within 2 hours.

ah

as long as it all turned out right in the end

Keeping it local

#16 The Bobster

The Bobster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

You'll need broadband to apply for jobs, trust me without it you will struggle to get back into work. The Job Centre is complete waste of time and the staff are in the main condescending, with the odd exception and they have no interest in helping you.

KEEP YOUR BROADBAND and visit sites like jobsite, totaljobs etc. Use Linkedin to search for jobs in your industry.

I was in your position last December lost my job after 27 years at age 50. It took me 4 months to get fixed up, but I got there in the end. The most important thing is to believe in yourself and don't take any notice of "you are past after 50 and will never get a job again" brigade. You will have a lot of transferable skills that employers are looking for.

I wouldn’t claim to be an expert in finding a job after 50 mate, but I’ve been there recently and if you need any advice drop me a PM.

Posted Image

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

yup. last one happened 14 years ago when I was 53.  Been self-employed ever since, running a small partnership.  Not always been easy but its the best thing evah!   This is what we do: we made this, just a few weeks ago: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Aik9oNbDxEs

The point is that there is always a way forward and sometimes it takes an extreme shock to trigger you to better things.

#18 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

I have never been in the situation but I know a couple of people who's boss have been more concerned about losing their jobs to a young upstart that they have held them back and in turn made them look rubbish at their job.

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,288 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

yup. last one happened 14 years ago when I was 53. Been self-employed ever since, running a small partnership. Not always been easy but its the best thing evah! This is what we do: we made this, just a few weeks ago: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Aik9oNbDxEs

The point is that there is always a way forward and sometimes it takes an extreme shock to trigger you to better things.

Wow
Keeping it local

#20 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

I've been sacked.

GOD bless, THINK!

Not that this may help much but as other have said about Broadband, when your unemployed you arguably need it more than ever. 

If you have to cut your BB off i have a suggestion for an emergency stopgap. (before anyone says it, no i am not connected to them and i am not spamming)

Ovivo have a free phone plan that includes a monthly 500MB internet. 

Pay £15 for a sim and put it in a cheap smartphone and use it for emergency internet use. Got my Dad on it, not for the internet which he never uses anyway more for the free monthly 150mins and 250 free txts. All for the initial £15 cost for the sim which piggybacks on Vodafone. http://ovivomobile.com/

Not much help but just an idea on how you can keep some form of internet access while times are tight. 

Edit: Just noticed they have free data only plan for dongle or tablet of 750 MB P/M free (make sure you don't go over this)

Not use their data plan so no idea how good but its 750 MB for free so rather than have no BB http://ovivomobile.c...ovivo-for-data/

Edited by Li0nhead, 06 August 2013 - 09:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users