Work

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

I've been made redundant twice, both when my departments were closed leaving me with no job.  First time was from a job I hated so wasn't unhappy to leave, second time was a job I really did like so it was a harder hit.  Both times I immediately treated the job as old news and got on with my life, both times led me into far more interesting career options so they were actually external prods to go do something better.

As I see it, you have two options:

1.  Make yourself bitter and nearly unemployable by spending your time appealing then suing for a job you're not going to get back.  Even if you win, you'll get a small payout of a few thousand pounds but you'll have a public record of suing and if you're in a small industry then you're essentially going to self-blacklist.  It's a nasty old world out there in employment and it's nowhere near as black/white as the unions would like you to think; even if you win, you're not getting your job back and could seriously hurt yourself in the long term.

OR

2.  Treat it as a kick up the bum to go do something else.  Treat job hunting as a full-time job.  If you're doing less than 6-7 hours a day job hunting then you're slacking and need to kick yourself.  If you can't find job hunting tasks to occupy 6-7 hours a day then you don't know how to effectively job hunt and need help, speak to your union or one of the freebie job advisory services.  Get yourself on a CV rewrite course somewhere, the JobCentre should be able to help with this.

On option 1, it's a particularly stupid public authority these days that sacks someone without building a bulletproof dossier and having legal opinion.  When I sacked someone last year in my former role as Chairman of my local council's HR Committee, we had pages of legal opinion and validation of our approach at every warning stage up to final dismissal leaving absolutely no avenue for credible appeal or law suit.  You also need to remember the role of a solicitor, their paid day-job is to sue, there's no money in it for them to say "Sorry Mr Bleep, you've no case and I can't help you", if they win they get paid, if they lose they get paid.  If you really must sue then ask your union to pay the legal fees, if they won't do this then you have to ask yourself why not.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#22 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

CKN is right, if the union will take your case then you probably will have a good chance of winning. Unions will not take a case on if there is any doubt, since they are reluctant to lose and possiblily set a precident that may affect future more roboust cases.

If the union are willing, then go for it, but ask the union upfront how much you will be looking at, since the flip side is you may be on an unoffical blacklist. However companies tend not to want to take unions on in cases where there is doubt so it may be settled out of court, even if there is blame on both sides.

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

after a 7 month suspension for not doing the paperwork correctly,

Seven months after you told them to stick their job, eh?

Like the others have said, the one thing you can't afford to do if you're job hunting is lose your internet not least because most employers will expect to be able to email you application packs and the like plus there's no advantage in waiting for a weekly Sits Vac in the local rag or a monthly professional journal.  All the jobs will be online.

And I'd fight for some form of compensation because you'll get it just from being awkward - although it costs £1,200 just to go to tribunal now I believe.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#24 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Seven months after you told them to stick their job, eh?

Like the others have said, the one thing you can't afford to do if you're job hunting is lose your internet not least because most employers will expect to be able to email you application packs and the like plus there's no advantage in waiting for a weekly Sits Vac in the local rag or a monthly professional journal.  All the jobs will be online.

And I'd fight for some form of compensation because you'll get it just from being awkward - although it costs £1,200 just to go to tribunal now I believe.

Oh I didnt realise that this guy was a complete and utter idot, so you walked out of a disciplinary meeting used inappropriate behaviour/language been paid for 7 months to do SFA and now are worried about the future. During that 7 month suspension period did it not cross your mind maybe to eat humble pie and appologies, get your job back a work the next few years before retirement?

Lets face it when asked 'why did you leave your other job' what answer can you give since they will want some sort of work record from your previous employer especially since you've been there for 27 years.

What was the reason given for your dismissal?

If you do have a case and your behaviour can be explained because other things happing at the time then fine, take the tribunal on.

#25 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

I would like to thank you all for the ideas.

One of them is to start a Resuscitation Training Course, teaching basic life support to offices/factories/shops etc, and be self-employed, using the skills I have learned over the last 30-odd years of working in an Operating Theatre

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

That sounds like a good idea. I'd imagine that there are "first aid" type certificates that you can dish out to employees. I would look into how you can become qualified to issue such certificates. I think companies have certain legal obligations wrt first aid and would pay money if you can deliver the right paperwork but won't if you can't.

#27 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

I would like to thank you all for the ideas.

One of them is to start a Resuscitation Training Course, teaching basic life support to offices/factories/shops etc, and be self-employed, using the skills I have learned over the last 30-odd years of working in an Operating Theatre

Do a proper business case and market research. Your idea is only as good as the money someone will pay for it.

Please take that advice as if it were a life saving tip as many, many people have good ideas that pay nothing then end up bankrupt.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#28 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Having read your earlier threads about what has brought this about, I think the best advice for you is not to let alcohol take over your life again

If you're offended by this then there's probably little hope for you.

So make the right decision..

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#29 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Having read your earlier threads about what has brought this about, I think the best advice for you is not to let alcohol take over your life again

If you're offended by this then there's probably little hope for you.

So make the right decision..

I am not offended by this.

I, like many others on here, are engaging with, and using the services of a certain International recovery agency, and I have been dry for a while now

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#30 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Do a proper business case and market research.

I have every intention of doing so, and not rushing into anything.

#31 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

I am not offended by this.

I, like many others on here, are engaging with, and using the services of a certain International recovery agency, and I have been dry for a while now

Great stuff, keep going.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users