Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Match Report: Workington V Rovers 04/08/2013

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

Attached match report for Rovers win at Workington. Will also be available on club website, probably from tomorrow.

Attached Files

#2 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

Great report, and again thanks, this really is a worthwhile effort, I really understand the time it takes to write these reports, but they are very much appreciated

Cheers!

Cliff

10527261_10152163584386971_3057229316284

#3 fevzipasa

fevzipasa
  • Facebook
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

well done Steve, thought I'd sign up to say you have produced not only an excellent piece of journalism, but have provided the only accurate report of the game and this follows from providing the only accurate report of the Halifax game, and that includes the reports on the Fev and RFL sites

Kev, Fevzipasa

#4 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

Even though it was hard for a Town fan to read again it is a very good report, well done.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#5 JCrabtree

JCrabtree
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Thanks it's nice to see the (usual) accuracy is noticed

#6 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

Good to see your very first post Joseph, and welcome to the Fans Forum as a new member. You can post your own match reports in future!

#7 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

well done Steve, thought I'd sign up to say you have produced not only an excellent piece of journalism, but have provided the only accurate report of the game and this follows from providing the only accurate report of the Halifax game, and that includes the reports on the Fev and RFL sites

Kev, Fevzipasa

Thanks for your praise Kev. As you have probably gathered, it was Joseph (JCrabtree) who wrote the report (not bad for a 16-year-old eh!).
I assume you are talking about MattyDalegate from both matches? Journo's don't seem to want to credit him with a score, but to be fair I might have been wrong about some of our opponents. If the announcer or commentator get it wrong, then the rest of the journo's who don't get a good view or don't know the players tend to follow suit. The video camera can zoom in, but the commentator and announcer are usually using their naked eye, and not all grounds have a gantry that reaches to the side of the pitch like we have at Rovers. Up in the shiny new stand at The Shay, the view from the Press seats seemed to be from miles away. I must remember to take my binoculars the next time we go to Sheffield!

#8 fevzipasa

fevzipasa
  • Facebook
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for your praise Kev. As you have probably gathered, it was Joseph (JCrabtree) who wrote the report (not bad for a 16-year-old eh!).
I assume you are talking about MattyDalegate from both matches? Journo's don't seem to want to credit him with a score, but to be fair I might have been wrong about some of our opponents. If the announcer or commentator get it wrong, then the rest of the journo's who don't get a good view or don't know the players tend to follow suit. The video camera can zoom in, but the commentator and announcer are usually using their naked eye, and not all grounds have a gantry that reaches to the side of the pitch like we have at Rovers. Up in the shiny new stand at The Shay, the view from the Press seats seemed to be from miles away. I must remember to take my binoculars the next time we go to Sheffield!

Yes thats right Steve, that is exactly what happens, but it also goes into the official records judging by the RFL website, so if it has happened to the same player twice within three games what value do you place on the official archives of Rugby League? Anyhow thanks Joseph for believing your eyes rather than your ears, or checking before you put pen to paper, its more than the RFL or the Featherstone Rovers webmaster does let alone the RL express and weekly.

Edited by fevzipasa, 09 August 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#9 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

Good call on Matt's try. A significant milestone, as it was his 50th for the club.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#10 fevzipasa

fevzipasa
  • Facebook
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

Which one Mark? the Halifax 'try' or the Workington 'try'?.... unless the RFL and the clubs admit they have made a couple of embarrasing mistakes, he will still be short of the target. In any case on this video evidence you can take rugby league try scoring records with a pinch of salt, sad to say.

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Which one Mark? the Halifax 'try' or the Workington 'try'?.... unless the RFL and the clubs admit they have made a couple of embarrasing mistakes, he will still be short of the target. In any case on this video evidence you can take rugby league try scoring records with a pinch of salt, sad to say.

He scored in both games so that makes it a round 50.

TBF to the RFL mistakes are regularly made, to be otherwise would be impossible given the volume of games played and stats generated. I imagine the same would go for League Express too with their yearbook.

Im not sure, but I think these records are not set in stone forever but are rectified when errors are pointed out. Contacting the RFL and L'Express should sort it out.

Regardless, he'll be correctly credited in the Fev Yearbook. Not bad going either for a forward, 50 tries in 141 games.

#12 fevzipasa

fevzipasa
  • Facebook
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Yes, I know what you mean Mark, but this is the second tier of British RL, a major sport, run at this level on a professional basis, and involving some of its most prestigious clubs. I personally think it is only a problem at Championship level, SL is more professional and lower level match reports are often compiled by club officials, who usually liaise with opponents before submitting reports. Maybe the referees report should play a more active role in compiling official records, perhaps a couple of minutes spent at the end of the game with club secretaries minuting major incidents during the game, including scorers could avoid later ambiguities. Just an idea. The RFL site and records should be as accurate as possible. As for the rugby press, near enough is probably good enough.

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yes, I know what you mean Mark, but this is the second tier of British RL, a major sport, run at this level on a professional basis, and involving some of its most prestigious clubs. I personally think it is only a problem at Championship level, SL is more professional and lower level match reports are often compiled by club officials, who usually liaise with opponents before submitting reports. Maybe the referees report should play a more active role in compiling official records, perhaps a couple of minutes spent at the end of the game with club secretaries minuting major incidents during the game, including scorers could avoid later ambiguities. Just an idea. The RFL site and records should be as accurate as possible. As for the rugby press, near enough is probably good enough.

I agree with all of that. The official records should be as scrupulously accurate as possible and open to revision.

The trade press should aim for that level too.

#14 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

At Workington our DVD commentator said it was James Lockwood, and the announcer said it was Tommy, but the camera doesn't lie,it's plain to see it was Matty!
I've only seen the Rovers DVD for the Halifax game, and Ben got it right, but who did the Premier Sports commentator say scored the first try?

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

At Workington our DVD commentator said it was James Lockwood, and the announcer said it was Tommy, but the camera doesn't lie,it's plain to see it was Matty!
I've only seen the Rovers DVD for the Halifax game, and Ben got it right, but who did the Premier Sports commentator say scored the first try?

They got it right on Premier Sports, and went on about Matt Dale who's just become a father, etc. It was very obvious on their coverage it was Matt.

#16 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

They got it right on Premier Sports, and went on about Matt Dale who's just become a father, etc. It was very obvious on their coverage it was Matt.

Thanks Mark, the RFL website has got it wrong on both occasions, both in their list of scorers and on their match report.
I think I'll send them an e-mail!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users