Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The one thing I really don't get about London....

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

David Hughes has pumped an absolute fortune into the club (hats off to him), year on year, yet he tolerates poor appointments/ performance and inept management and has allowed the club to drift aimlessly for years.

If it was my cash I'd want to know it was being used well.

It makes you wonder how he has been so successful in business.

Edited by Pottsy, 06 August 2013 - 07:57 AM.

• PC likes this

#2 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Go figure?

#3 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

David Hughes has pumped an absolute fortune into the club (hats off to him), year on year, yet he tolerates poor appointments/ performance and inept management and has allowed the club to drift aimlessly for years.

If it was my cash I'd want to know it was being used well.

It makes you wonder how he has been so successful in business.

Depends what you mean by "successful in business" really. To my knowledge he's never run a business. He's an oil and gas trader, and a very god one too judging by the firm he's a partner in.

But, you're right about the rest of it. I have no idea how or why he tolerates such a shocking state of affairs. He must have dumped something like 15 million into the club by now. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#4 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

How come he's never chosen to appoint a coach who has a decent track record of success? I'm not saying that someone such as Kear or Noble would have brought massive success, but perhaps they'd have been in a position of relative stability now?

Posted Image

#5 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

That side of things has always baffled me. They've spent the full salary cap for years (not that you'd know it) but seem to cut massive corners with other appointments.

#6 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

They've spent the full salary cap for years (not that you'd know it)

This point has been addressed many times before - the quality of RL player you can get in London won't be anywhere near as high as a player you can get for the equivalent value up north.

#7 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Maybe he should of bought his own ground first and then let the Bronco's move in and that would of been a win-win for him.

#8 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

Maybe DH shouldn't being making the decisions on how the club is run.. maybe he should employ someone who knows what they are doing and let him/her run the club properly.. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#9 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

This point has been addressed many times before - the quality of RL player you can get in London won't be anywhere near as high as a player you can get for the equivalent value up north.

Everyone knows this but clubs on vastly inferior budgets ( eg, Wakefield) regularly outperform them.

#10 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

Everyone knows this but clubs on vastly inferior budgets ( eg, Wakefield) regularly outperform them.

Yes but how inferior? Given that average house prices in London are over 3x what they are in Yorkshire or the North West, you could argue that a club operating on 50% of the salary cap could still attract higher quality players than London...

#11 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

There is still a lot of ignorance about London as a place from many northerners. If I was single and a few years younger I would be there like a shot, there is a great culture and many many lovely looking ladies.

#12 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Yes but how inferior? Given that average house prices in London are over 3x what they are in Yorkshire or the North West, you could argue that a club operating on 50% of the salary cap could still attract higher quality players than London...

Clubs like Wakey and Salford reportedly barely break the £1m mark.

Tart it up however you like but the truth is, regardless of the cost of living etc, London haven't got value for money from their playing budget and at least some of the blame has to be directed toward the coaching/management of the club.

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

That side of things has always baffled me. They've spent the full salary cap for years (not that you'd know it) but seem to cut massive corners with other appointments.

Have they?

I understood that this was the first year that they had done so.

#14 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

There is still a lot of ignorance about London as a place from many northerners. If I was single and a few years younger I would be there like a shot, there is a great culture and many many lovely looking ladies.

I moved to London when my office in Manchester closed 21 years ago.

It is the best thing I ever did apart from missing decent Rugby League that is!

I

#15 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

8m people already live in London so you'd have thought London Broncos ought to have been able to rustle up 13 of them to make a decent team.

I imagine there are lots of people in London who earn less than they would if they played for the Broncos, and as RL players usually come form the rough end of town, it really shouldn't be that hard.

The club have made some awful decisions on players and coaches and have got what their mis-management deserves.

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Plenty of peopl move to work in London with basic London weighting. IIRC there is an additional 10% allowance on the cap, this is enough.

#17 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

Instead of a 10% London Weighting, what I'd suggest is that every club in SL is allowed to pay their top 25 players the average cost of a rental property in that town. That would be on top of the salary cap. So if, at December 2013, the average cost of a property in town X is 10 grand, then the club would be allowed to pay 250 grand to their squad for the 2014 season. 

But that's a side issue really, the club has been badly run for many years.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Plenty of peopl move to work in London with basic London weighting. IIRC there is an additional 10% allowance on the cap, this is enough.

IMO 10% is not enough.

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

IMO 10% is not enough.

maybe not for you, but i know plenty of people who have moved to work in london for less than 10%

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

maybe not for you, but i know plenty of people who have moved to work in london for less than 10%

So do I but it's not enough to take the higher cost of living out of the equation.

But IMO whilst it is an interesting theoretical point, it would have made little difference to Bronquins. AFAIK this is the only season where they have claimed to be paying the full cap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users