TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The one thing I really don't get about London....

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

maybe not for you, but i know plenty of people who have moved to work in london for less than 10%

And were they all professional Rugby League players? If not, then I'm not sure your point is relevant. There are numerous reasons why people may choose to move to London. The issue here is that if you are a pro Rugby League player, are you more likely to choose to move to London to earn 50k, or are you more likely to stay in Yorkshire or the North West where living costs are significantly lower and the same amount of money will go considerably further?

Edited by RugbyLeagueGeek, 06 August 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Indeed. People I've known who moved to London did so because of its superior employment possibilities. That's something that is not remotely true of RL in London. There are more jobs in RL in the north.

Edited by Northern Sol, 06 August 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#23 timhammonds

timhammonds
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

If so much money has been spent by savy business men, has the marketing budget been large enough and used effectively?

There are a great many northerners and Aussies living in London and an untapped 8 million population, if a city in the north can

provide 10,000 fans from 250,000 residents then this should equate to 320,000 of 8 million.

I'm begining to think that our product cannot be as good as we think it is, Londoners obviously enjoy there sport and their soccer grounds are bulging

with people dying to see a nil nil draw or a thrashing from the mancs. 

#24 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

If so much money has been spent by savy business men, has the marketing budget been large enough and used effectively?

There are a great many northerners and Aussies living in London and an untapped 8 million population, if a city in the north can

provide 10,000 fans from 250,000 residents then this should equate to 320,000 of 8 million.

I'm begining to think that our product cannot be as good as we think it is, Londoners obviously enjoy there sport and their soccer grounds are bulging

WHat marketing budget? Ever since Richard Branson owned the club they've adopted the 'build it and they will come' philosophy. Which is nonsense, because it doesn't matter how many games you win if no-one knows you exist. Going back into the mists of time Jim Dymock, Jason Hetherington and Richie Barnett were fantastic signings for the club, but what good is that if no b*gger knows about them? That still applies today.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#25 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

maybe not for you, but i know plenty of people who have moved to work in london for less than 10%

I have to say that if I could get the same job back in Warrington for 9.1% less money (ie removing a nominal 10% weighting) with no adverse effect on career prospects I'd almost certainly take it. My brother got a 3 bedroom house for half the price of my 2 bedroom place.

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

The product is good but people like what they are used to. Those of us who didn't grow up with the sport, won't necessarily fall in love with it right away, it takes time.

#27 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

10% is nowhere near enough.Cut my wage by 10% & move me back to Oldham & I'd be bloody Rockerfeller.Instead I shall continue to live in my small terrace within the M25 & subsist on gruel & offal

#28 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:10 AM

The product is good but people like what they are used to. Those of us who didn't grow up with the sport, won't necessarily fall in love with it right away, it takes time.

Northern Sol is right. timhammond your numbers don't matter if London doesn't have tradition of following the game. London is a football city. Remember that there northern cities a skip or jog away from RL cities that don't care for the game. 

#29 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

Any clubs spending under £1m on salaries need to seriously consider their position in an elite competition. I have said it before but we should have minimum wage of around £50k and in term a minimum salary rule.

#30 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

I've just finished reading an excellent book called, 'The Fulham Dream' which gives an insight into the original Broncos team of 1980-81 (Fulham RLFC). Incredibly they were regularly getting crowds of 10,000 plus at Craven Cottage. Perhaps the current team needs a link with one of London's Premiership football clubs in order to generate more interest in the club?

#31 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Yes! We can all imagine 2,000 people rattling around a premiership ground can't we?

Anyone who went to Elland Road when 'New' Hunslet were playing there will know that feeling.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#32 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Any clubs spending under £1m on salaries need to seriously consider their position in an elite competition. I have said it before but we should have minimum wage of around £50k and in term a minimum salary rule.

That's what the new structure will deliver. We'll have the really professional clubs in the top 8, the next best, then the good semi-pro clubs in the bottom 8. The new structure will allow any well-run clubs to progress within their 8 and then up into the next 8.

There is a massive gulf between the professionalism of clubs at the top and bottom of super league.

#33 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

I've just finished reading an excellent book called, 'The Fulham Dream' which gives an insight into the original Broncos team of 1980-81 (Fulham RLFC). Incredibly they were regularly getting crowds of 10,000 plus at Craven Cottage. Perhaps the current team needs a link with one of London's Premiership football clubs in order to generate more interest in the club?

They don't need to link with a soccer club, they just need to be run well. The crowds they have had in the past would be perfectly acceptable now, so the idea that London isn't interested just doesn't wash. It is a grim experience going to watch the Broncos. You get the impression people go out of a feeling of duty, rather than enjoyment. They need to get somewhere, where they can really become part of their local community, and then they need to promote the club, and make good choices on player and coach appointments.

#34 Quinskolar

Quinskolar
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

The main problem with DH is that he has never had other board members to assist him (apart form Ian Leneghan briefly) All other clubs have functioning boards with decades of RL and business expertise, that is where London have gone wrong, amongst other things. He has attempted to build teams rather than a club. We are paying for that now. 

#35 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

One myth needs correcting here. We have never had gates regularly over 10k. In our first season there were 2 - the John Player Trophy game with Leeds (12583) and the CC tie with Wakey (15013). Our first ever home game was watched by 9552 and our second by 5589. The only other gate over 10k at the Cottage was for our game against the 1982 Roos which was 10432, and there were a LOT of special ticket offers for that one.

#36 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

One myth needs correcting here. We have never had gates regularly over 10k. In our first season there were 2 - the John Player Trophy game with Leeds (12583) and the CC tie with Wakey (15013). Our first ever home game was watched by 9552 and our second by 5589. The only other gate over 10k at the Cottage was for our game against the 1982 Roos which was 10432, and there were a LOT of special ticket offers for that one.

Yes, 'regularly' was not the right word. The average for that season was just over 6,000 which is still considerably more than the Broncos are getting now. My point about the link with a football club is that, say the Broncos were to return to Craven Cottage, instantly you have 20,000 plus people made aware of the club's existance who probably weren't before and, moreover, these are people who regularly attend live sporting events and would probably be tempted to go and watch the Rugby at least once.

#37 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yes, 'regularly' was not the right word. The average for that season was just over 6,000 which is still considerably more than the Broncos are getting now. My point about the link with a football club is that, say the Broncos were to return to Craven Cottage, instantly you have 20,000 plus people made aware of the club's existance who probably weren't before and, moreover, these are people who regularly attend live sporting events and would probably be tempted to go and watch the Rugby at least once.

I don't think any London based EPL team has any interest in hosting RL. There is nothing in it for them apart from a pitch that comes under more stress. 

#38 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'm begining to think that our product cannot be as good as we think it is, Londoners obviously enjoy there sport and their soccer grounds are bulging with people dying to see a nil nil draw or a thrashing from the mancs.

A perceptive comment but Blasphemy on this forum.... 

The main problem with DH is that he has never had other board members to assist him

Mr Farrar do you not know of Davids Dutch pal Gerri Bouman who is the original silent partner and the other member of the board. He has even attended one Fan Forum IIRC though he did not say much Though the club has spouted much double dutch these last few years.

In brief this is the situation as I see it

The RFL and lower ranked clubs are desperate that London continue for ONE more season fot four main reasons:

MORE bad publicity for the club to keel over before the Challenge Cup Final or World Cup
Saves the "Great Northern day out" that is the magic weekend
Increases the chances of clubs such as Castleford, Wakefield, Hull KR, and Widnes to avoid the cut in a 14 club league than a 13 club league
Despite bragging on messageboards there is no replacement that could come into Super League for 2014 as was proved when Bradford went into administration.

You may even hear of a buttock clenchingly bad decision to remain at The Stoop in the next few days, despite publicly trashing Harlequins RU, the area and ceasing all local marketing / community activity for the last two years but this kinda sums up how the club has been run.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#39 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

I wonder if they've ever considered re-branding themselves to a fit with the whole 'London' image -i.e. playing in Union Jack colours and ditching the 'Broncos' moniker for something that linked to the history and culture of the city. London 'Monarchs' would have been ideal. I'm not saying that any such changes would bring about massive success, but at least there'd be something that Londoners might identify with? In a city where there are so many sporting clubs, I just don't think they do enough to stand out from the crowd. Easier said than done though, I guess. However, they really should be exploiting the fact that they're a club which, by name, represents 'London' as a whole - not just a suburb or area.

Edited by TheTerminator, 07 August 2013 - 09:51 PM.

Posted Image

#40 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

They've already had too many identities and colours. None of the changes ever did them any good. This should be their last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users