Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Having post-season Championships/U23s/U21 'Nines' 'festivals'?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Seeing as Rugby Union has the post-season 'Premiership Rugby [Union] 7s' series, it got me thinking:  Some of you may remember the RFL had the 'Rugby League Nines' series last season (or the season before) during the season on a Thursday night?  Which wasn't very well publicised?  Well, I don't know a lot about it living down South but I guess they dropped it due to poor crowds as it was on a Thursday night during the regular season?

Well, why doesn't the RFL try-out a short 3 - 4 venue Rugby League 9s series 'post-season' for either Championship squads, or Academy squads (if they still exist), or U23s/U21s/U20s?

I've played Rugby Union 7s but to me there's too much space for speedy Backs with great feet to exploit.  Whereas the Rugby League 9s footage I've seen on YouTube looks really entertaining, in my opinion.

I realise it's not a popular format but I think the RFL should explore it more.  Especially in the post-season prior to the off-season.

If you mention RU, please try to avoid being overly critical and try to avoid talking about it too much in this thread.  This is about Rugby League 9s.  Try to avoid getting it moved to the cross-code forum.  Thanks.

I also like the querky-ness of the coloured balls.  Arf!

Edited by HappyDave, 06 August 2013 - 11:44 AM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#2 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

I like the idea of nines, but I don't want it to be put in place ahead of international games.

Ideally I'd like two consecutive weeks, mid season for international games. A window where you could fit nines in as well.

E.g.

Week one (repeat with 9's finals in week two)

Thursday: Yorkshire 9's (@ Doncaster), Lancashire/Cumbria 9's (@ Salford), Southern 9's (@ The Stoop)
Friday: Wales vs Italy
Saturday: Scotland vs Ireland
Sunday: England vs France

#3 colin84hunter

colin84hunter
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

Not sure how many would be interested if it were just under 23s or championship only

I think it should be part of the main season, 2 gameweeks dedicated to it.

Four leagues of 8 teams played at four separate locations, 2 two go through to the final (32 - all SL & Ch teams plus top 4 from previous season of Ch1 (obviously different when new structure comes in to play))

Final played another weekend, each team plays one another again in a league with the top two playing a final for the trophy

It will bring all clubs from each league together

We could play the leagues at the start of march then the final at the end, nothing specific happens that month in RL

#4 colin84hunter

colin84hunter
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

I heard the NRL might be trying a 9s competition at the start of next season

#5 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

I heard the NRL might be trying a 9s competition at the start of next season

Yeah, saw that on the RFL's Twitter feed today. Interesting.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#6 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

I heard the NRL might be trying a 9s competition at the start of next season

I think they definitely are - in Auckland if I remember correctly. The feeling in Oz seems to be that teams will play mostly youngsters and fringe first graders though.

#7 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

I think they definitely are - in Auckland if I remember correctly. The feeling in Oz seems to be that teams will play mostly youngsters and fringe first graders though.

I think that's the way it should be. Why can't they do thayt in the UK? I still think last years 'Nines' tournament was the wrong time of year, as I think it should be post-season but I do think SL 'academy' (by that I mean youngsters (over 20)) playing against Championships/SL2 (lower division SL) players to make it a level playing field.

Surely Premier Sports/ BT sports/ESPN or Eurosports could shedule in 2 - 3 hours on a Friday or Sunday pre-football season?

#8 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

part of the agreement is that the 9's sides must be mostly comprised of the top squad.

Off the top of my head two players from each club can skip it, but that will still leave most sides filled with NRL stars.

Edited by kioli, 10 August 2013 - 04:06 AM.