TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

League Express Upfront: Do the Bulls deserve reduced funding?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

Bradford Bulls owner Omar Khan last week revealed that he is going to invest an additional £900,000 of his own money into the club to ameliorate its financial problems.

Click here to view the article

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

As a bulls fan, yes we dp. Should it go to the other clubs? Maybe not. We have not paid the 1.8 mill we owed out which still sickens me. But having 1.2mill less over the next two years, doesn't balance things out but gives us the sting we deserve.

Edited by Mumby Magic, 06 August 2013 - 02:46 PM.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

I would say "yes" but only until the new re-structures are approved by the clubs, as that will be a different system to that for which they were being penalised.

Edited by Keith T, 06 August 2013 - 02:57 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Yes they do deserve to have their funding cut. That was the deal.  Most people running most pro RL clubs are a shambles and can't be trusted. Bradford went bust, and let a lot of people down. Reduced funding was part of the punishment, which their owner was happy to accept. Then as soon as he gets his feet under the table he wants to renege on that deal. Typical rugby league behaviour.

If you could trust RL club owners to do the right thing, then you could argue that Omar Khan should have the full funding as the fact the Bulls ran up all the debts wasn't his fault, but as he seems to be acting in typical RL fashion, then I don't see why the other clubs should make an exception, only to let this new guy come in and run up a new load of debt.

Time for him to man up and just get on with it.

#5 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yes they do deserve to have their funding cut. That was the deal.  Most people running most pro RL clubs are a shambles and can't be trusted. Bradford went bust, and let a lot of people down. Reduced funding was part of the punishment, which their owner was happy to accept. Then as soon as he gets his feet under the table he wants to renege on that deal. Typical rugby league behaviour.

If you could trust RL club owners to do the right thing, then you could argue that Omar Khan should have the full funding as the fact the Bulls ran up all the debts wasn't his fault, but as he seems to be acting in typical RL fashion, then I don't see why the other clubs should make an exception, only to let this new guy come in and run up a new load of debt.

Time for him to man up and just get on with it.

I don't get the impression he's complaining.

#6 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

I don't get the impression he's complaining.

The article says he went back to the SL clubs to try and get it re-negotiated.

I'm also not sure why the article says that we should consider ourselves lucky that someone like Omar Khan got involved in RL. When he turns that club around, improves their ground, gets the big crowds back, and turns the Bulls into a top team of home grown players, then I'll agree that we're lucky to have him on board. But so far, all he's done is kept the ship more or less afloat (putting aside the fact the players weren't paid on time last month). If he hadn't got involved, there would have been someone else who would have stepped in and kept them bobbing along instead.

He's hardly Marwan Koukash is he?

#7 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

It could be argued that the Bulls are in fact still £600k better off than they would have been had they not been able to go through the NewCo process. They have lost £1.2m of income but saved £1.8m of outgoing payments, a net gain overall.

Starting from scratch they should have been aware of what their likely income was going to be and structured their cost base accordingly like any other business. If the Bulls have financial issues then it is not down to the cut in funding, it is down to either bad planning and budgeting or other revenue streams (e.g. lower crowds than expected) being less than anticipated - neither of which are caused by a cut in their SL money.

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

I rather like the fact we arent pandering to somebody just because they are rich and want to invest in RL.
He made this decision - he needs to stand by it.

#9 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Am I right in thinking that this is only until the end of the current license period?

If so, and that's what Mr Khan signed up for, then fair enough.

I don't think it would be fair to continue it forward into New RL though

#10 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

Did Huddersfield when they were elevated to Superleague?

Did Wakefield when they first won promotion?

Funding in Superleague is given at a whim of the incumbent clubs

#11 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:15 AM

Did Huddersfield when they were elevated to Superleague?

Did Wakefield when they first won promotion?

Funding in Superleague is given at a whim of the incumbent clubs

Please don't lump is together with Huddersfield. Trinity fought and earned their place, Huddersfield Town ad a new ground and that made the then Fartown the chosen ones.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 07 August 2013 - 05:16 AM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#12 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

I think we probably deserved some penalty for last years events, and we were all aware of the funding cut when Mr Khan took over. What I don't agree with is the other clubs splitting it. It should have gone to community projects or some other fund that is for the game as a whole.

I do think there is some merit in the argument that based on the structure changing and P&R in some form next year that it could be reviewed, but at the end of the day we probably just need to accept it.

Would love to know where my £100 went ......

Edited by Odsal Outlaw, 07 August 2013 - 06:17 AM.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#13 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 798 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

Instead of other clubs getting that money, they should invest it in a way that lets Bradford fans in to a couple of games for free. Partly as a thankyou to the fans who donated to help keep the club alive last year and partly to attract new fans by giving them a free sample.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#14 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

I'm also not sure why the article says that we should consider ourselves lucky that someone like Omar Khan got involved in RL. When he turns that club around, improves their ground, gets the big crowds back, and turns the Bulls into a top team of home grown players, then I'll agree that we're lucky to have him on board. But so far, all he's done is kept the ship more or less afloat (putting aside the fact the players weren't paid on time last month). If he hadn't got involved, there would have been someone else who would have stepped in and kept them bobbing along instead.

I don't disagree with you, I just scan read it.

My view is that for some reason because our game "seems" to bend the rules a lot, people always try it on. If there was a clear penalty like they have in RU where you basically start again, last year and this year wouldn't be news and the Bulls wouldn't be in the need of £900K.

#15 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Money should have paid off the creditors they're the ones who lost out after this debacle.

#16 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

Don't know how you thought there was anyone esle to keep the ship 'bobbing along' - the only other [apparently serious] bid had been ruled out as unsuitable by the RFL, so couldn't be considered by administrator. Omar Khan was the only offer in town and if he'd turned down the RFL's offer of reduced funding it would have meant winding up.

You're right to say he's no Dr Koukash - he's a local restauranter, and owns, with his family, a couple of eateries in the district. I guess by my standards he's wealthy, but then most people are wealthy by my standards and he certainly does not have endless funds to put in. Neither, before he agreed to the deal, was he told about the plans to relegate the lower clubs from SL after the next season, a season during which he would be deliberately hamstrung by reduced funding. Nice!

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#17 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

But wasn't the original plan to have no funding for a year, but that got changed to 50% for 2 years

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#18 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

But wasn't the original plan to have no funding for a year, but that got changed to 50% for 2 years

That is correct, as far as i know.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#19 beefy1

beefy1
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

The penalty was agreed so that the Bulls could stay in a Licensed competition. To then move the goalposts and re-introduce relegation IMO makes the whole thing look shambolic. It leaves the Bulls well behind the eight ball for what could be a make or break 2014 season for a number of clubs in the league.

Mr Khan probably had no other option than to accept those terms, but I feel that the money should have gone to the creditors of the old company, not be spread between the other Super League clubs. That left the Bulls, in effect, even worse off.

#20 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Don't forget there are one or two clubs bordering on administration, and there are very few monied people willing to take over a destitute Rugby League club. I think the present circumstances surrounding Bradford will be more than enough to put off prospective buyers. I quote a fellow club member depriving them of transfer monies, and the other clubs financing themselves from the fine put on Bradford.

Quite logically the fine money could have been put into youth development, particularly after government cuts in this area. I suppose it would have been a first to repay some compensation to creditors, but perhaps too much of a dangerous precedent. I would hope common sense would prevail, and the monies being taken away from the Bulls is stopped, and we make it more equal for SL clubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users