Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

League Express Upfront: Do the Bulls deserve reduced funding?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,776 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Agree that the owners of most clubs think very short-term when it comes to money, but I'm surprised that every club except Wigan & Leeds wanted Bradford to fold, so that they could get a share of their central funding for two years.

What was it that eventually persuaded the other 11 clubs that it was in their interests if Bradford didn't fold? Was it the RFL, Wigan or Leeds who persuaded them?

I've not said that every club wanted them to fold. I'm sure none of them did, but the possible redistribution of the sponsorship money made them prepared to countenance it.

The number of clubs in Super League is determined by the clubs. At the time the number had been determined as 14. Therefore, to throw Bradford out would have required one or more clubs to propose 13 clubs in Super League for 2013. As far as I'm aware, no one went that far, but the deal they came up with was a compromise that put some money into their pockets without them having to turn Bradford down.

#42 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

I've not said that every club wanted them to fold. I'm sure none of them did, but the possible redistribution of the sponsorship money made them prepared to countenance it.

The number of clubs in Super League is determined by the clubs. At the time the number had been determined as 14. Therefore, to throw Bradford out would have required one or more clubs to propose 13 clubs in Super League for 2013. As far as I'm aware, no one went that far, but the deal they came up with was a compromise that put some money into their pockets without them having to turn Bradford down.

Ah sorry Martyn. I thought from your original post where you said "It's worth bearing in mind that the other clubs, or at least a significant number of them, would have been perfectly happy to see Bradford Bulls close down completely last year." and then followed that up by saying Leeds & Wigan were not among those clubs, that you perhaps had some intelligence from people involved in those discussions that the other clubs actually would have been happy to see the Bulls close.

It looks as though you are making an educated guess based on the fact that most SL clubs are desperate for money; don't usually give the impression they care about anything but their own short-term interests; and the number of clubs will in fact be reduced in 2015. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wondered if it was based on fact or assumption.

#43 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,776 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Ah sorry Martyn. I thought from your original post where you said "It's worth bearing in mind that the other clubs, or at least a significant number of them, would have been perfectly happy to see Bradford Bulls close down completely last year." and then followed that up by saying Leeds & Wigan were not among those clubs, that you perhaps had some intelligence from people involved in those discussions that the other clubs actually would have been happy to see the Bulls close.

It looks as though you are making an educated guess based on the fact that most SL clubs are desperate for money; don't usually give the impression they care about anything but their own short-term interests; and the number of clubs will in fact be reduced in 2015. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wondered if it was based on fact or assumption.

Several clubs have told me privately that, if it had come to a vote, they would have been prepared to see Bradford excluded from Super League.

I can't speak for every club, but if it had been a voting issue it would have been a close call.

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

Why did you highlight Leeds and Wigan Martyn? That almost suggests that all the others took a different view. This doesnt seem likely when you consider that Widnes, Wire and Hudds for example all helped Bulls financially.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users