Rugby League stadiums

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1 owls

owls
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

Just been trawling the internet looking at rugby stadiums in England both league and union and was pleasantly surprised to find that at the top end of the game League has the better stadiums,

St Helens,Wigan,Salford,Widnes,Warrington,Hull and Huddersfield all play in modern stadia,

disappointing Leeds,Wakefield and Bradford though,

i know some share with football clubs but imo this is something that league should be proud off.

anyone else have the same thought,

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

The thing is that they may play there but they often don't own the stadium outright or are mere tennants.

#3 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Leeds is a classic stadium. One end needs having a roof, but we shouldn't junk everything, just because it is old.

How come Cas don't get a mention? Their dump, is even worse than ours!

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Leeds is a classic stadium. One end needs having a roof, but we shouldn't junk everything, just because it is old.

That's what I say. It's a good stadium in parts.

#5 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Headingley is The Fenway Park of Rugby League
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#6 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

would rather go to a game at belle vue and have an earful for 80 mins any day than sit listening to echoes from plastic seats with no atmosphere in hudds.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#7 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Nothing wrong with Headingley, Belle Vue is not without it's charms either.  Widnes and Warrington are OK, Huddersfield, awful

#8 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

Belle vue before it was pulled down was the best looking and when full was the most Atmospheric
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#9 silcoates

silcoates
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

I agree with you fieldof. about belle vue .a glimpse of past glories in the film 'This SPORTING LIFE'

Leeds is a tired ground now to say  they have been a top team for years.

#10 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

How many stadiums are actually League only stadiums?

Not Just Superleague, but other divisions too.

No Speedway, athletics, Union or football shares, and that includes football reserves, or juniors.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#11 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

No Speedway, athletics, Union or football shares, and that includes football reserves, or juniors.

In the Championship, only Mount Pleasant, Tetley's Stadium, Craven Park and Post Office Road are owned by the clubs themselves. In terms of grounds where only RL is played, its probably a very similar list.

Edited by TheTerminator, 06 August 2013 - 10:51 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

Not true, quite a few big name RU sides ground share, London Irish and Saracens do for starters.

Hudds Town share with Hudds Giants. Wigan Athletic share with Wigan Warriors. Hull City with Hull FC. IIRC Everton reserves play in Widnes.

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

Headingley is The Fenway Park of Rugby League

Having been to both I concur with that comment.

#14 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Not true, quite a few big name RU sides ground share, London Irish and Saracens do for starters.

Hudds Town share with Hudds Giants. Wigan Athletic share with Wigan Warriors. Hull City with Hull FC. IIRC Everton reserves play in Widnes.

Who do Saracens share with now? I thought they had that new stadium to themselves during the season?

Agree with comments above about Headingley. Went there for the first time recently when they played Wakey and thought it was cracking. In my view a great stadium isn't necessarily one that's bang up to date and/or an all-seater.

#15 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Liverpool reserves play at Langtree Park but the stadium is owned outright by Saints (not even partly owned by the banks), with the football team just paying tennants on a year by year rolling contract.

#16 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

In the Championship, only Mount Pleasant, Tetley's Stadium, Craven Park and Post Office Road are owned by the clubs themselves. In terms of grounds where only RL is played, its probably a very similar list.

Workington own Derwent Park stadium, but lease the land it stands on. The stadium itself is completely owned by Town and they rent it out on Saturdays to Workington Comets speedway.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#17 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Workington own Derwent Park stadium, but lease the land it stands on. The stadium itself is completely owned by Town and they rent it out on Saturdays to Workington Comets speedway.

I always thought Town owned the land as well or did they own only the training ground? Thought it was the club that sold part of the land to Tesco.

Whilst not owning the ground, Whitehaven are the only team playing on the Recreation Ground
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#18 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

I always thought Town owned the land as well or did they own only the training ground? Thought it was the club that sold part of the land to Tesco.

Whilst not owning the ground, Whitehaven are the only team playing on the Recreation Ground

The council own the land but Town have a very long (100+ years) lease on it at a peppercorn rent. When the old training field was sold to William Low the money for the sale actually went to the council, who then compensated Town for the surrender of the lease on that portion of land (i.e. the council had to buy the lease back from Town so they could sell the land to the supermarket chain).

Edited by Derwent, 07 August 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Just been trawling the internet looking at rugby stadiums in England both league and union and was pleasantly surprised to find that at the top end of the game League has the better stadiums,

St Helens,Wigan,Salford,Widnes,Warrington,Hull and Huddersfield all play in modern stadia,

disappointing Leeds,Wakefield and Bradford though,

i know some share with football clubs but imo this is something that league should be proud off.

anyone else have the same thought,

this is something that league should be proud off.

Spot on.

Old stadiums tend to have higher running costs, poorer facilities, worse parking, worse weather protection. May not apply to ALL old stadiums but generally, it's true.

If we are trying to attract new and returning fans to the game, then having decent modern stadiums would surely be a plus. Old stagers might like wooden stands,  outside toilets, cinder terraces, no cover and parking in the street outside someone's house but I'm convinced that is not the best way.

As for owning  v renting, why ii owning better than renting? Having all the clubs money tied up in owing a stadium ( unless its the Directors stadium and they might want to sell it for houses later) when that money might be better used in developing the club. Own a stadium and you need to pay to maintain and improve it, too.

#20 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Liverpool reserves play at Langtree Park but the stadium is owned outright by Saints (not even partly owned by the banks), with the football team just paying tennants on a year by year rolling contract.

Liverpool reserves play all over the place. They'll play maybe two games at Langtree this season. Considering they could host the matches themselves at Anfield or their academy ground, I doubt that contract is worth much, if anything to St Helens. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users