TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League stadiums

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#21 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Not true, quite a few big name RU sides ground share, London Irish and Saracens do for starters.

Hudds Town share with Hudds Giants. Wigan Athletic share with Wigan Warriors. Hull City with Hull FC. IIRC Everton reserves play in Widnes.

There's now also Widnes Vikings FC, played there first North West Counties Division 1 game on Saturday, which is the very bottom of the non-league pryamid, not sure what the long term plans are or how closely the clubs are linked.

#22 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

The council own the land but Town have a very long (100+ years) lease on it at a peppercorn rent. When the old training field was sold to William Low the money for the sale actually went to the council, who then compensated Town for the surrender of the lease on that portion of land (i.e. the council had to buy the lease back from Town so they could sell the land to the supermarket chain).

Thanks for that, fills in a little bit of local knowledge I was missing
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#23 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

There's now also Widnes Vikings FC, played there first North West Counties Division 1 game on Saturday, which is the very bottom of the non-league pryamid, not sure what the long term plans are or how closely the clubs are linked.

Did Widnes start up a football club? Same name and logo. They'd have to have some say in all this I would think. 

#24 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

I love Headingley, I just think it oozes history an atmosphere.

Also referring to Dewsbury's ground. As part of a longer term project I think the plan was to get Ossett Town football club to move in with them. Not happened yet though. I wouldn't be surprised if memories of what happened to Emley still linger.

#25 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Did Widnes start up a football club? Same name and logo. They'd have to have some say in all this I would think. 

Looks like it, don't know anything about them other than they played there first competitive game last Saturday, bet 127 rattling around in the Stobart is a surreal experience for fans and players alike!

#26 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

For me, im not a fan of the "modern" all seater stadiums, a lot have no soul or atmosphere.

Suppose the game has to move with the times, but its a sad state of affairs that a lot of clubs now rent these super stadiums to play there, instead of owning their own ground as they used to do - wonder why this has never been factored in to the RFLs masterplan for criteria to play at the top level? Id have thought owning your own bricks and mortar would be top of the list.

Im a Batley fan and love the fact we own our own little ground, with all its history and the legendary slope still there as it was 130 odd years ago.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#27 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

For me, im not a fan of the "modern" all seater stadiums, a lot have no soul or atmosphere.

Suppose the game has to move with the times, but its a sad state of affairs that a lot of clubs now rent these super stadiums to play there, instead of owning their own ground as they used to do - wonder why this has never been factored in to the RFLs masterplan for criteria to play at the top level? Id have thought owning your own bricks and mortar would be top of the list.

Im a Batley fan and love the fact we own our own little ground, with all its history and the legendary slope still there as it was 130 odd years ago.

The Batley management did a great job a few years ago getting all kinds of grant money to upgrade their ground and did just that. It's now a fine little ground but before it was a decaying dump of the worst kind even if the club did own it.

The mystery to me is that Batley, despite being a consistent top five championship club winning the Northern rail Cup and several times scaring the c##p out of SL teams in the Challenge cup can't even get to the 1000 mark in gates.The quality of rugby played by their team deserves better spectator support.

#28 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

I can't understand why the Bulls don't share Odsal with Bradford Park Avenue, who play in a council athletics stadium.

It's stupid not to tie in with a football club. Mike Atherton said this week that Old Trafford Cricket Ground now offers a hotel plus parking for Man U games. He said that Lancashire CCC made more from football fans than from county/one-day cricket.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#29 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

instead of owning their own ground as they used to do

1.  Why have your money tied up in an old stadium that needs money to maintain, thats need money set on one side to upgrade and update,  when you could be using that money to develop the success of your club?

2. There is a history in sport of owners and directsr buying the groukdna and then selling it for housing, Swinton used to own Station Road.....sold for housing, then there was Central Park..and I am sure there are other examples

#30 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

I can't understand why the Bulls don't share Odsal with Bradford Park Avenue, who play in a council athletics stadium.

It's stupid not to tie in with a football club. Mike Atherton said this week that Old Trafford Cricket Ground now offers a hotel plus parking for Man U games. He said that Lancashire CCC made more from football fans than from county/one-day cricket.

To be fair, I agree with the sentiments, but I do wonder just just how beneficial the link up would be for the Bulls. Avenue's gate is only around the 500 mark [so I've been told] so, whilst you could look at the 'little acorns' aspect it hardly looks that promising in a business sense. Also, I wonder what the Bulls freehold owner [Bfd Met] would make of us sub-letting to one of their other current tenants?

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#31 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 736 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

1.  Why have your money tied up in an old stadium that needs money to maintain, thats need money set on one side to upgrade and update,  when you could be using that money to develop the success of your club?

1. So you don't have to pay rent

2. So you can play fixtures whenever you want, not when a Premier League football club tells you to

3. So one of your main stands is not closed for a wedding on the day of an important cup tie

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,646 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

stadiums dont create atmosphere

people and history create atmosphere. It takes time.

I'd rather go and watch sport where you are dry, comfortable, can actually see, and aren't in danger of contracting typhoid than any of the corrugated iron death traps that have thankfully been replaced.

Why don't people give anything new a chance in rugby league? 

I've been to all the modern stadiums apart from Salford and Saints and had a fabulous time at all of them.

I much prefer the new wembley to the old one and I've sampled most of the types of accommodation including accompanying disabled fans to games At the old wembley you were a mile away from the game, the roof leaked, you were in danger of deep vein thrombosis from the seats, and the place including the twin towers was plug ugly.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,646 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

2. So you can play fixtures whenever you want, not when a Premier League football club tells you to

3. So one of your main stands is not closed for a wedding on the day of an important cup tie

1 so you don't have to pay for ground staff, safety, upkeep and repairs and utility bills

2 how many premier league soccer clubs share with rugby league clubs-until this season it ws one, now it's none. Of course there is an issue here, but clubs cant play fixtures when they want to anyway. Clubs have to negotiate mutually advantageous terms if they have any sense.

3 when has that ever happened?

Keeping it local

#34 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

1 so you don't have to pay for ground staff, safety, upkeep and repairs and utility bills

2 how many premier league soccer clubs share with rugby league clubs-until this season it ws one, now it's none. Of course there is an issue here, but clubs cant play fixtures when they want to anyway. Clubs have to negotiate mutually advantageous terms if they have any sense.

Owning your own ground does have the advantage of it meaning you are guaranteed to get all the bar revenue, and you can hire it out yourselves for events, and get all the revenue for that, run your own social club on the premises (Torquay United make a modest mint from Boots & Laces), and, although this is sometimes as much a curse as a blessing, it means you have an asset you can borrow money against.

On the topic of old stadia versus new, I agree with l'ange, mostly. I'm too ##### old to stand up for nigh on two hours, for one thing.

#35 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,646 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Owning your own ground does have the advantage of it meaning you are guaranteed to get all the bar revenue, and you can hire it out yourselves for events, and get all the revenue for that, run your own social club on the premises (Torquay United make a modest mint from Boots & Laces), and, although this is sometimes as much a curse as a blessing, it means you have an asset you can borrow money against.

On the topic of old stadia versus new, I agree with l'ange, mostly. I'm too ##### old to stand up for nigh on two hours, for one thing.

My point about owning your own ground and not is that there are disadvantages and advantages for both
Keeping it local

#36 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

The Batley management did a great job a few years ago getting all kinds of grant money to upgrade their ground and did just that. It's now a fine little ground but before it was a decaying dump of the worst kind even if the club did own it.

The mystery to me is that Batley, despite being a consistent top five championship club winning the Northern rail Cup and several times scaring the c##p out of SL teams in the Challenge cup can't even get to the 1000 mark in gates.The quality of rugby played by their team deserves better spectator support.

You tell me? We took approximately 2500 fans to the Northern Rail final in 2010, so there's obviously some interest there. That interest doesn't seem to endure in most cases, though. The club has tried many initiatives over the years in an attempt to increase crowds, and all have failed. I'd say that a big stumbling for us is that being slap bang in a large conurbation which incorporates four SL clubs isn't a big help. Why pay 15 quid to watch Championship rugby when you can travel 4 miles up the road and watch the SL champions for the same price? Lowering our prices in an attempt to attract more fans isn't an option, either. If any such scheme failed, we'd be left with a shortfall that would negatively affect on-field matters and probably lead to existing fans walking away. Bit of a Catch 22, really.

Edited by TheTerminator, 07 August 2013 - 03:28 PM.

Posted Image

#37 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Looks like it, don't know anything about them other than they played there first competitive game last Saturday, bet 127 rattling around in the Stobart is a surreal experience for fans and players alike!

Isn't oconners first love football wouldn't be surprised if its his idea and he wants to see how far he can take them.

#38 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Last year. Wigan v Saints, Challenge Cup quarter final, North Stand closed due to a wedding being pre-booked in the hospitality suite.

#39 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

To be fair, I agree with the sentiments, but I do wonder just just how beneficial the link up would be for the Bulls. Avenue's gate is only around the 500 mark [so I've been told] so, whilst you could look at the 'little acorns' aspect it hardly looks that promising in a business sense. Also, I wonder what the Bulls freehold owner [Bfd Met] would make of us sub-letting to one of their other current tenants?

Avenue have ambitions to climb the soccer pyramid, and another promotion or two would see their current ground declared inadequate. If and when that happens a ground share might be a decent solution for both clubs. Right now, Avenue don't need it.

And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,646 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

Last year. Wigan v Saints, Challenge Cup quarter final, North Stand closed due to a wedding being pre-booked in the hospitality suite.

Well that's poor management in somebody's part
Presumably the game went a head and the stadiums capacity wasnt challenged
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users