TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League stadiums

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#41 Jackie Slytroosers

Jackie Slytroosers
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

IIRC Everton reserves play in Widnes.

And the Liverpool Women's Premier League side play there to, or at least sometimes do

#42 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Last year. Wigan v Saints, Challenge Cup quarter final, North Stand closed due to a wedding being pre-booked in the hospitality suite.

At the DW Stadium, Wigan have to play second fiddle to the soccer for the moment due to Dave Whelan. Once he's gone and the soccer team return to their rightful place at the bottom of the football league then normality will return and Wigan will be able to call the shots.

Going to watch my team run the cleaners through that shambles at Springfield Field in the 1990s is what Wigan soccer is really like. None of this pretending they're a big club nonsense.

#43 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

If a modern, souless stadium means that I can go for a leak at half time without needing industrial grade wellies and a gas mask (remember the River Caves, anyone?) then I'll settle for modern and souless!

#44 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

Avenue have ambitions to climb the soccer pyramid, and another promotion or two would see their current ground declared inadequate. If and when that happens a ground share might be a decent solution for both clubs. Right now, Avenue don't need it.

I suppose that's right. A few years back Avenue looked as though they were going to surge right back to the football league, though they seem to have 'plateaued', to some extent, more recently. With them back in the league and playing at Odsal with the Bulls would have a certain synergy - not to mention a little rounding off of history.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#45 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

instead of owning their own ground as they used to do

1.  Why have your money tied up in an old stadium that needs money to maintain, thats need money set on one side to upgrade and update,  when you could be using that money to develop the success of your club?2. There is a history in sport of owners and directsr buying the groukdna and then selling it for housing, Swinton used to own Station Road.....sold for housing, then there was Central Park..and I am sure there are other examples

How many of those clubs prospered after selling their ground?

I'm afraid that once a club sells its ground and moves out to become tenants elsewhere, it rarely ends well.

Doubtless they were already in a poor situation otherwise they'd have kept the ground but ownership of a stadium in the town that you are named after does seem key to a long-term future.

edit: or if not ownership then a stake in the ground as Salford have

Edited by Northern Sol, 08 August 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,640 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

How many of those clubs prospered after selling their ground?

I'm afraid that once a club sells its ground and moves out to become tenants elsewhere, it rarely ends well.

Doubtless they were already in a poor situation otherwise they'd have kept the ground but ownership of a stadium in the town that you are named after does seem key to a long-term future.

Good point

I think it boils down to why they sold their ground to become tenants in the first place
If you sell your ground to clear debts then you set off on a bad footing because you have little or no capital
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#47 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

Yes. If a ground was sold to pay off debts, perhaps that is an indication of the quality of the directors rather than proof that owning us better than renting. I guess the answer Is' it all depends'

Owning your own ground does not always confer the claimed benefits , but then, neither does renting.

#48 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

on the righteous side of the pennines every club bar oldham play in a superb stadium with modern facilities..........lancashire clubs have grasped the nettle as regards stadia and facilities, unlike the neanderthals in yawkshure........

Edited by Viking Warrior, 08 August 2013 - 06:59 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#49 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,640 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

on the righteous side of the pennines every club bar oldham play in a superb stadium with modern facilities..........lancashire clubs have grasped the nettle as regards stadia and facilities, unlike the neanderthals in yawkshure........

it's a good job an all considering the shyteholes they played in for the best part of a century

Keeping it local

#50 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

whilst most clubs to the east of the pennines still play in the same shi'teholes they have always played in for over a century...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#51 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Headingley is a true rl stadium, steeped in rl history and has the best atmosphere in sl by far.

#52 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,640 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

whilst most clubs to the east of the pennines still play in the same shi'teholes they have always played in for over a century...

I can think of two that conform to that description

make that one in the light of the improvements at Wakefield

how come swinton play in leigh? It's miles away

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 08 August 2013 - 07:20 PM.

Keeping it local

#53 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

Widnes is the worst advertisement for a brand new stadium I can think of..... totally soulless! Naughton Park was much better, all it needed was the facilities improving! Many fans still love Cas's ground.... apart from the toilets and other facilities!
I defy anyone to say they've been to Batley and not enjoyed the atmosphere! We go to these places to watch a game, not stare at empty seats!

#54 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

I've been to Widnes and didn't like it much, but then we got beat 72-0 by Saints.  But it is fairly souless.  My favourite ground apart from P O Road is Headingley.  It's purpose built for watching rugby.  I've always loved it.  I don't mind Huddersfield's ground, I like the KC. I like the Shay too.  I've been to the Keepmoat but can't remember much about it.  I hate the DW, and I don't like the Halliwell Jones at all.  Worst ground for watching RL? Elland Road without a doubt.  I like Old Trafford though - great atmosphere.  I've seen Salford and Leigh from the outside.  They look ok.  I've been to the Stoop, and there certainly was an atmosphere.  London were playing Hull and it was full of ###### up Hull fans!

Of the extinct grounds:  I liked Crown Flatt - but then I'd played on it.  I liked Watersheddings.  Thrum Hall was quirky.  I used to like Knowsley Road, and Wilderspool.   One of my most disappointing experiences was my first visit to Central Park, I'd expected something fairly similar to Headingley only bigger. Instead I got a dump that was falling apart.  I've never liked Odsal.  I saw my first international there, GB v NZ in 1961.  Given that only 7 years before there'd  been 102.000 + in there, it was a major disappointment.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#55 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

Widnes is the worst advertisement for a brand new stadium I can think of..... totally soulless! Naughton Park was much better, all it needed was the facilities improving! Many fans still love Cas's ground.... apart from the toilets and other facilities!I defy anyone to say they've been to Batley and not enjoyed the atmosphere! We go to these places to watch a game, not stare at empty seats!

As opposed to looking at empty terraces.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#56 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

A number of the posts on here capture the very essence of rugby league. Whilst some of you may like the atmosphere of the older stadium - the smell of rotting wood etc. ..It is not entirely clear that that these qualities are enough to attract new fans to these living museums.

EEee ..seats under cover? You're lucky....all we 'ad was pile of earth to stand on.....a pile of earth? Eee, luxury....we used stand in a hole in the ground, full of water.....water? Wr longed for water! We used to stand barefoot on a pile of hot cinders from me ma's fire....Hot cinders? You were lucky....etc. Headingly, odsal, Wheldon road, belle vue are just not good enough a mere 118 years sine the birth of our game.

#57 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

Headingley is a true rl stadium, steeped in rl history and has the best atmosphere in sl by far.

Shedingly is a dump. After getting absolutely drenched standing at the away end a few years back I refuse to go there again until they bother to put a roof on and provide at least some protection from the elements for the away fans.

The South stand is a disgrace and falling to pieces and the North stand is little better.

The RFL should grow a pair and tell rich, succesful clubs like Leeds to sort out their dump of a stadium.

Edited by Saint Toppy, 09 August 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#58 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Then the RFL realise if they persist in Franchising then all but two Yorkie clubs.would start to not meat the standards.

#59 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

I can think of two that conform to that description
make that one in the light of the improvements at Wakefield
how come swinton play in leigh? It's miles away

Odsal?
Putting a roof on a dump means its still a dump.

#60 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,640 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

Odsal?
Putting a roof on a dump means its still a dump.

Odsal is outdated, and the speedway track gets in the way

but the facilities are perfectly civilised, well maintained and up to date

the main stand is a modern cantilever structure with good sight lines

Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users