Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League stadiums

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#101 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

The last time I went to Headingley it was peeing down but the stewards wouldn't let away fans into the south stand. Very little option otherwise than to get soaked for people not wanting to sit down.

Did they have south stand tickets?

If not, they can go to the ticket office by the entrance and exchange their ticket.

I've been refused entry to the South Stand without a SS ticket. Otherwise how are they going to ensure it doesn't become overcrowded?

Edited by brooza, 11 August 2013 - 02:43 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#102 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

I think some points on Headingly get confused. Personally I think it is a dump and outdated (bar the one new wonky stand). But the ground does have a great atmosphere, but that is due to the fact they fill it up! I think it would be great to see Leeds in a ground like Hudds, with maybe a terraced stand included. They'd have just as good an atmosphere and probably bigger crowds.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#103 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

I think some points on Headingly get confused. Personally I think it is a dump and outdated (bar the one new wonky stand). But the ground does have a great atmosphere, but that is due to the fact they fill it up! I think it would be great to see Leeds in a ground like Hudds, with maybe a terraced stand included. They'd have just as good an atmosphere and probably bigger crowds.

Your point on how full the ground is is spot on.

I think many of the new grounds generate a great atmosphere too. I've been to games at Hudds and Wigan which are large all seaters which have great atmospheres when there is a large crowd in, same with Hull.

It is the people inside the grounds that generate an atmosphere. 

#104 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

There are rumours circulating around Calderdale that Tony Abbott is going to buy The Shay from the council. Will be great for the club if true.

#105 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

The Atmosphere comes from the noise coming from the SS and it hits the NS and stays within the ground the New Carnegie stand helps too.The western terrace will never be redeveloped
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#106 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

In what way do you call it dump? it passed all the health and safety checks.The reason those corners were sealed off two years ago was because the rebuild of the stand was expected to start,but the planning dept ordered it to be scaled down,so now they are back In  dispute,but dump it is not.Nobody is standing on cinders etc and never have had to do.The CEO will not plunge the club in unmanageable debt.When the two new stands are eventually built it will still be recognizable as Headingley the Fenway park of RL.The Western terrace will probably never get developed because of the houses behind and the ginnel which is a public walkway.The Leeds club is the best run organization in SL and don't need to take advice from others 

The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#107 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

Your point on how full the ground is is spot on.

I think many of the new grounds generate a great atmosphere too. I've been to games at Hudds and Wigan which are large all seaters which have great atmospheres when there is a large crowd in, same with Hull.

It is the people inside the grounds that generate an atmosphere. 

I do like the KC the design and size are perfect for RL

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#108 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

In what way do you call it dump? it passed all the health and safety checks.The reason those corners were sealed off two years ago was because the rebuild of the stand was expected to start,but the planning dept ordered it to be scaled down,so now they are back In  dispute,but dump it is not.Nobody is standing on cinders etc and never have had to do.The CEO will not plunge the club in unmanageable debt.When the two new stands are eventually built it will still be recognizable as Headingley the Fenway park of RL.The Western terrace will probably never get developed because of the houses behind and the ginnel which is a public walkway.The Leeds club is the best run organization in SL and don't need to take advice from others 

No matter how good that advice might be?

I've been to Headingley loads of times and it is loved by Leeds fans but not by that many visitors. It is antiquated, difficult to get to, almost impossible to park reasonably close to with safety. The fans are lovely though, without a single exception.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#109 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

No matter how good that advice might be?

I've been to Headingley loads of times and it is loved by Leeds fans but not by that many visitors. It is antiquated, difficult to get to, almost impossible to park reasonably close to with safety. The fans are lovely though, without a single exception.

That's my one problem with the ground, particularly with Friday night games and the distance I have to travel means I tend to get there very close to kickoff time

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#110 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

That's my one problem with the ground, particularly with Friday night games and the distance I have to travel means I tend to get there very close to kickoff time

Well it was fine for me I just lived bottom end of Bramley.After game walked down Kirkstall lane 3 pints in westend the bus up broad lane.Headingley is also a bustling vibrant suburb lots of amenities,and there are no other locations in North Leeds at all suitable.Not that the club would contemplate relocating.
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#111 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

I like Headingley.

It's a really deceptive ground though. They manage to declare 15k in every week, but can only squeeze in less than 10k for a packed out game in the playoffs when the gate money is shared between playoff sides.

#112 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

I like Headingley.

It's a really deceptive ground though. They manage to declare 15k in every week, but can only squeeze in less than 10k for a packed out game in the playoffs when the gate money is shared between playoff sides.

So last year they only had one playoff game that was against Trinity 9044,in the final eliminator at the DW against the "BEST"supported club in SL there was a declared gate of 8235,You have to go back to 2009 2008 2007 when there was reasonable gates in the playoffs.Most Leeds fans are good judges of the gates at Headingley and I wasn't at that game,but are you suggesting that last year Leeds falsified the gate against Wakefield?

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#113 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

Well it was fine for me I just lived bottom end of Bramley.After game walked down Kirkstall lane 3 pints in westend the bus up broad lane.Headingley is also a bustling vibrant suburb lots of amenities,and there are no other locations in North Leeds at all suitable.Not that the club would contemplate relocating.

I've got a 185 mile trip to get to Headingley. Don't have time to drop my car off and bus it!

#114 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

I like Headingley.

Ooo... Questioning the honesty and integrity of club officials? you'll be in bother implying things like that on here Larry.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#115 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

I've got a 185 mile trip to get to Headingley. Don't have time to drop my car off and bus it!

You are a Diamond and I was spoilt living 20 minutes walk or 6-7 minutes on the bus

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#116 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

You are a Diamond and I was spoilt living 20 minutes walk or 6-7 minutes on the bus

Admittedly, I don't make it to every match! Particularly this season where my focus is on RLWC matches.

EDIT: Incidentally, I used the 100 days code for the RLWC matches so am looking forward to my first match in the Carnegie Stand at Headingley

Edited by brooza, 14 August 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#117 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Admittedly, I don't make it to every match! Particularly this season where my focus is on RLWC matches.

EDIT: Incidentally, I used the 100 days code for the RLWC matches so am looking forward to my first match in the Carnegie Stand at Headingley

I'm hoping to be home for RLWC.Still waiting for my new G card
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#118 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

So last year they only had one playoff game that was against Trinity 9044,in the final eliminator at the DW against the "BEST"supported club in SL there was a declared gate of 8235,You have to go back to 2009 2008 2007 when there was reasonable gates in the playoffs.Most Leeds fans are good judges of the gates at Headingley and I wasn't at that game,but are you suggesting that last year Leeds falsified the gate against Wakefield?

I'm suggesting that it must be a very deceptive ground and that Wakefield shifted around 4000 tickets.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 14 August 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#119 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

In what way do you call it dump? it passed all the health and safety checks.The reason those corners were sealed off two years ago was because the rebuild of the stand was expected to start,but the planning dept ordered it to be scaled down,so now they are back In dispute,but dump it is not.Nobody is standing on cinders etc and never have had to do.The CEO will not plunge the club in unmanageable debt.When the two new stands are eventually built it will still be recognizable as Headingley the Fenway park of RL.The Western terrace will probably never get developed because of the houses behind and the ginnel which is a public walkway.The Leeds club is the best run organization in SL and don't need to take advice from others

It may have passed all safety checks, I just think it is out-dated, not great to view from (have you stood on the western terrace when it's full and tried to get a good view) and lacks modern facilities.

And I'm not suggesting they take advise from anyone, just offering an opinion. My opinion is its a dump and I think if Headingly was upgraded to a modern facility there crowds would increase. But the ground generates a good atmosphere, but I think that's the fans!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#120 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

I'm suggesting that it must be a very deceptive ground and that Wakefield shifted around 4000 tickets.

Like I said most Leeds fans are very good at estimating Headingley Crowds and your suggestion seems quite veiled.
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users