Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League stadiums

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#141 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Its a bit selfish, but I don't give a shiny #### about the stadium. As long as the markings are correct, it's a good game and I can see what's going off. It'll do for me. Not great watching a game in a vast stadium that is sparsely attended though. I go to watch the event not the stands or for the pies. Most kick off times are not meal times, so I'm not particularly bothered about eating there. If you want a P ss yeah you don't want to be standing in it. Some people like a drink but in my experience, the greatest atmosphere for a drink is at the pubs in the vicinity of the ground, rather than in the ground, especially the second rate ale with first rate prices served at these modern stadia. I understand also the need for some people to sit down, but it is so annoying when you have to sit down at some stadia Widnes, Donny spring to mind. I also personally like to stand at the end my team is attacking, that has been brutalised in modern stadia.

#142 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

The Leeds club is the best run organization in SL and don't need to take advice from others 

I think similar words were spoken by the Roman Emperor as Vizigoths, Gauls and Vandals were forming their battalions to storm Rome..

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#143 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

I think similar words were spoken by the Roman Emperor as Vizigoths, Gauls and Vandals were forming their battalions to storm Rome..

From "Borrowed time Bradford" begging bowl option?Gone!
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#144 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

From "Borrowed time Bradford" begging bowl option?Gone!

There is nothing from which you cannot take lessons - even if the lesson is don't do it that way. It's only fools who think they have nothing left to learn. Ask the last Roman emperor.....

Edited by Bulliac, 30 August 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#145 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

There is nothing from which you cannot take lessons - even if the lesson is don't do it that way. It's only fools who think they have nothing left to learn. Ask the last Roman emperor.....

How many times has the lesson gone unheeded? Circa 1901?1963?2012?
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#146 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

How many times has the lesson gone unheeded? Circa 1901?1963?2012?

Annually, would be my best guess.

Edited by Bulliac, 31 August 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#147 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Annually, would be my best guess.

Anyway rightnow its OUR sport that's important.Wakefield 400.000 under capitalised?They say they haven't got a sugar daddy.I thought the new owner did wonders with his ground improvements.Something I can only applaud
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#148 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Its a bit selfish, but I don't give a shiny #### about the stadium. As long as the markings are correct, it's a good game and I can see what's going off. It'll do for me. Not great watching a game in a vast stadium that is sparsely attended though. I go to watch the event not the stands or for the pies. Most kick off times are not meal times, so I'm not particularly bothered about eating there. If you want a P ss yeah you don't want to be standing in it. Some people like a drink but in my experience, the greatest atmosphere for a drink is at the pubs in the vicinity of the ground, rather than in the ground, especially the second rate ale with first rate prices served at these modern stadia. I understand also the need for some people to sit down, but it is so annoying when you have to sit down at some stadia Widnes, Donny spring to mind. I also personally like to stand at the end my team is attacking, that has been brutalised in modern stadia.

Apart from your comment regarding too large a stadium I have a polar opposite view to you.  I want comfort for myself and family as well as an overall good experience that also includes the facilities. Of course the game being the primary aspect but the rest of the experience is as important.

We may have a great sporting game in comparison to other sports... but we certainly have a poor product and the whole game experience is part of that product.

As I say I agree it is sensible to have stadium that fits the need rather than a huge citadel that has more space than fans.

#149 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

Apart from your comment regarding too large a stadium I have a polar opposite view to you. I want comfort for myself and family as well as an overall good experience that also includes the facilities. Of course the game being the primary aspect but the rest of the experience is as important.

We may have a great sporting game in comparison to other sports... but we certainly have a poor product and the whole game experience is part of that product.

As I say I agree it is sensible to have stadium that fits the need rather than a huge citadel that has more space than fans.

you keep saying this but whenever I go to the HJ, Langtree or DW it always compares favourably to when i go to MCFC, Lancs Cricket or Murrayfield.

There is no issue with the game or product.

#150 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Liverpool reserves play at Langtree Park but the stadium is owned outright by Saints (not even partly owned by the banks), with the football team just paying tennants on a year by year rolling contract.

Not true about Liverpool reserves.  Liverpool, Man Utd and Everton under 19s and under 21s have held games there but that was during the off season and purely for commercial reasons, limited to a few games each (sometimes internationals).  None of them play at Langtree Park on a weekly or regular basis.

Langtree Park is purely a rugby league stadium which is owned by Saints.

Edited by Saintslass, 31 August 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#151 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

you keep saying this but whenever I go to the HJ, Langtree or DW it always compares favourably to when i go to MCFC, Lancs Cricket or Murrayfield.

There is no issue with the game or product.

Yep, I agree I enjoy the experience at each of those grounds.  Much better than the experience at the old stadiums although I always enjoyed Wilderspool.  Plus I've enjoyed the hospitality occasionally at each of the grounds and I'd say the DW does it best of the three.. 

The game is really good but we would not be tinkering with the structure or concerned about the future if all aspects of the product had no issues. 

Edited by redjonn, 31 August 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#152 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

You could probably add Alt Park, Guildford Park, Ninian Park, Scarborough, Any of Sheffield's early offerings, Nottingham, Mansfield, Craven Cottage( still used for Football I know)

Harvey Hadden in Nottingham is still in use by Nottingham Outlaws!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#153 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Anyway rightnow its OUR sport that's important.Wakefield 400.000 under capitalised?They say they haven't got a sugar daddy.I thought the new owner did wonders with his ground improvements.Something I can only applaud

I think he's one of those guys who is wealthy by average standards but isn't exactly stinking rich... that said, I confess to be lost in the nuances of the announcement - is £400k 'under capitalised' the same as a £400k loss, or is there a subtle difference? Speaking from experience, +£400k annual losses in the early to mid noughties were what sent the Bulls down into the mire.

#154 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

You could probably add Alt Park, Guildford Park, Ninian Park, Scarborough, Any of Sheffield's early offerings, Nottingham, Mansfield, Craven Cottage( still used for Football I know)

Gosh Alt Park, I'm assuming where Huyton (previously Liverpool City with many names before and after) played.    Gosh, now that was poor facility or I should say dump in all it means immediately they built it.  It felt like a concrete Victorian ground in need of investment immediately upon building completion.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users