Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

che guevara

the image and status

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

it makes me quite sad when I see a person wearing a t shirt  with the butcher of cabana on it, how did this terrorist get his false idol image? basically a privaleged spoiled kid from a good background with grand delusions, would students be so quick to rush to the che bar if they knew they were going to face prison torture and most likely execution for buying a beatles record?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

To be fair Che did believe in a cause and was prepared to die for it. Whether you agree with his view is academic.

Unfortunately he believed the only way was armed revolution, so when people use him as a political icon to pursue a democratic left wing agenda they are wrong in many ways.

Also I think that his privaliged background works in his favour since he completely turned his back on a life of privalige to pursue a cause he believed was just.

As for his atrocities, you must understand that he was fighting a war against a very nasty fascist regime in Batista. Two wrongs don't make a right but it puts things into context (allied bombing of German civilians?)

He was immortalised by the politician that Castro is, helped by Che dieing young, if he had lived he would have been sidelined from the Cuban government since he was a very poor politician.

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Another union bashing thread.

#4 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Batista was an appalling human being.

#5 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Another union bashing thread.

no-just about an over used image that 90% of people know nowt about

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

My confused brain always says "Citizen Smith" when I see his pic. It then takes a second or two to correct.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

no-just about an over used image that 90% of people know nowt about

I'm with you there but your first post oversimplified the subject.

#8 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

My confused brain always says "Citizen Smith" when I see his pic. It then takes a second or two to correct.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

TPF

#9 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'm with you there but your first post oversimplified the subject.

yes possibly - a bit

#10 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

It does get me when radical left wingers who insist in the democratic process, wear Che T-shirts.

I pointed this out to one once explaining Che was a revolutionary, who believed in armed struggle only to be told I was wrong and anyway he'd have agreed with democracy if he had the chance! Absolutely wrong..

As you may have gathered I've a bit if a soft spot for him since he pursued his beliefs and never put his own gain first. Castro used him and his legend, Che never wanted that.

He was quite simply a soldier.

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 06 August 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

it makes me quite sad when I see a person wearing a t shirt  with the butcher of cabana on it, how did this terrorist get his false idol image? basically a privaleged spoiled kid from a good background with grand delusions, would students be so quick to rush to the che bar if they knew they were going to face prison torture and most likely execution for buying a beatles record?

How were the people of Cuba expected to free themselves without taking up arms against the brutal dictatorship of fulgencio Batista? Who along with a small elite group of people in Cuba and corporate America looted Cuba's resources, whilst 99% of Cubans eked out a miserable existence?

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

How were the people of Cuba expected to free themselves without taking up arms against the brutal dictatorship of fulgencio Batista? Who along with a small elite group of people in Cuba and corporate America looted Cuba's resources, whilst 99% of Cubans eked out a miserable existence?

No no no. Americans are good people, I heard it on Fox.

Che and Fidel did what was needed, the yanks killed one and have born a grudge against the other for decades that has impacted the lives of millions if Cubans adversely.

#13 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

It does get me when radical left wingers who insist in the democratic process, wear Che T-shirts.

I pointed this out to one once explaining Che was a revolutionary, who believed in armed struggle only to be told I was wrong and anyway he'd have agreed with democracy if he had the chance! Absolutely wrong..

As you may have gathered I've a bit if a soft spot for him since he pursued his beliefs and never put his own gain first. Castro used him and his legend, Che never wanted that.

He was quite simply a soldier.

he was a nutter- if he had been born in a different part of the world or at a different time he quite easy could have been in the ira uda or al queda - soldiers don't order the execution of women for talking to American under cover agents by accident, another product of the human hate train

#14 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

Che and Fidel did what was needed, the yanks killed one and have born a grudge against the other for decades that has impacted the lives of millions if Cubans adversely.

Indeed after the revolution Castro didn't want to make enemies of the US but the big business that lost lots of money influenced the US government, forcing Cuba into the arms of the USSR.

#15 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

he was a nutter- if he had been born in a different part of the world or at a different time he quite easy could have been in the ira uda or al queda - soldiers don't order the execution of women for talking to American under cover agents by accident, another product of the human hate train

Oh the "women and children first" argument, so early in the piece too.

#16 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,080 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

soldiers don't order the execution of women for talking to American under cover agents by accidenttrain

They do and much much worse
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#17 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hence the saying one mans terrorist in another's freedom fighter , but history is written by the winners and like it or not the Cuban revolution was won by the guys in the Grandma, so he was on the winning side in a war.

Don't forget Cuba and most of South American didn't have established democracy so there was no other way to affect change. Ireland has democracy so to say he would have joined the IRAis drawing a very long extraplolation. He was anything but a nationalist, or agressively religious

He was affect by the injustice that he saw throughout South and Central America in that the balance of wealth was so disproportionate. As you said he came from a privileged background and could have been a moderately wealthy doctor, but he chose to right the perceived injustices he saw day to day, in the only way he thought would be effective.

To put him in the modern day in say Ireland or Iran he would probably just be doctor.

You mention one if his killings please investigate the Batista Regime for some balance.

#18 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

Although I totally agree with you it's best to differentiate between the American people and the US government and corporate America who they serve.

#19 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Although I totally agree with you it's best to differentiate between the American people and the US government and corporate America who they serve.

Yes.

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,080 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Anyway
Tell us about somebody you admire bedlam
And see where we go with that
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic