George w bush

Heart surgery

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

I am (like others it seems) surprised by your surprise.

Iraq invaded Kuwait and went to a proxy war with Iran.  Germany invaded most of Europe.

Iraq was defeated and thrown out of Kuwait in months.  It's war with Iran was hardly a glowing military success. 

You are comparing a Tinpot dictatorship with one of mightiest powers Europe has ever seen.

The Iraqi army was ineffective against the US military but Iraq had something like the 4th largest army in the world before the first gulf war and was a regional superpower. It was hardly a tinpot dictatorship.

#62 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

A meaningless assertion that inspired one of my favourite Bill Hicks quotes.  Curse the sweary filter:

“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big ###### drop-off. The Hare Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports.”
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#63 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,340 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

This reminds me of the Enoch Powell thread.
Fides invicta triumphat

#64 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

A meaningless assertion that inspired one of my favourite Bill Hicks quotes.  Curse the sweary filter:

“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big ###### drop-off. The Hare Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports.”

LOL, love bill hicks what a huge miss he is. Another one of my favourite bill hicks lines which could be from the same gig was talking about the first gulf war "I was for the war but against the troops."

#65 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

There might be but there is another huge drop-off between the 4th and the 118th. Iraq was a regional super power. The fact that the US, China and Russia had more tanks was irrelevant until the USA went to war with them. They stomped all over Kuwait and would have made short work of Saudi Arabia. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users