Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George w bush

Heart surgery

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

I am (like others it seems) surprised by your surprise.

Iraq invaded Kuwait and went to a proxy war with Iran.  Germany invaded most of Europe.

Iraq was defeated and thrown out of Kuwait in months.  It's war with Iran was hardly a glowing military success. 

You are comparing a Tinpot dictatorship with one of mightiest powers Europe has ever seen.

The Iraqi army was ineffective against the US military but Iraq had something like the 4th largest army in the world before the first gulf war and was a regional superpower. It was hardly a tinpot dictatorship.

#62 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

A meaningless assertion that inspired one of my favourite Bill Hicks quotes.  Curse the sweary filter:

“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big ###### drop-off. The Hare Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports.”
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#63 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

This reminds me of the Enoch Powell thread.
Fides invicta triumphat

#64 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

A meaningless assertion that inspired one of my favourite Bill Hicks quotes.  Curse the sweary filter:

“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big ###### drop-off. The Hare Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports.”

LOL, love bill hicks what a huge miss he is. Another one of my favourite bill hicks lines which could be from the same gig was talking about the first gulf war "I was for the war but against the troops."

#65 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

There might be but there is another huge drop-off between the 4th and the 118th. Iraq was a regional super power. The fact that the US, China and Russia had more tanks was irrelevant until the USA went to war with them. They stomped all over Kuwait and would have made short work of Saudi Arabia. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users