Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Not good news for the Dinosaurs

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/23592326

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Is it an asteroid?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

One of about five articles this past week "bigging up" the work going on with the kids etc, in London and the Bronco's

#4 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

One of about five articles this past week "bigging up" the work going on with the kids etc, in London and the Bronco's

And why not? We're constantly bombarded with 'opinion' pieces about the game in London, some even going so far as to suggest only northerners are capable of playing RL. Tell that to the Broncos academy players who gave Leeds a going over at the weekend.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#5 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Which is one of the reasons why I think we'd be better off in the Championship, as more of the kids would have a chance of regular first team rugby.

#6 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Which is one of the reasons why I think we'd be better off in the Championship, as more of the kids would have a chance of regular first team rugby.

That's a very good point, it would allow the young London players a chance to develop a winning culture based on their own effort and ability rather than being bit part players supporting antipodeans.

In their current state London are doing more harm than good!

#7 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

, some even going so far as to suggest only northerners are capable of playing RL.

Like who? Brad Fittler?

#8 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

Which dinosaurs?

#9 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Like who? Brad Fittler?

Gary Schofield has said it regularly, and Paul Cullen made similar comments a while back on Sky.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,077 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

Which dinosaurs?

well, there's no one on here called " Alpha" is there?

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Careful. Wouldn't want folk adding you to the list of the "anti-London brigade".

On topic. I agree with you. London have some talented youngsters but the first current team is not a good place for a teenager hoping to make his debut.

#12 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Some of the Broncos youngsters can get experience if they are loaned out to Hemel Stags or London Skolars; either of these teams still have a chance to get promoted to the Championship this season.  Lets wait to see where Broncos finish at the end of next season.

#13 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Is it an asteroid?

Terry Dactyl's turned down the comeback tour.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#14 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

Gary Schofield has said it regularly, and Paul Cullen made similar comments a while back on Sky.

Gary Schofield - the voice of reason you mean? I wonder if his deal with League Express is for him to write a column each week under his own name, and to then write the letters page. Both are equally ill-informed.

#15 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

I can see where you are coming from here but who will be watching this team ?

The numbers have dropped off due to the clubs incompetence at all levels with of course

the current exception of those running the academy it wouild seem.

I would say a good chunk  will just pack up if there is no Super League to watch with others filtered off

to Skolars if they dont watch them already or the Champinship one teams down here.

Edited by Spicer, 08 August 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#16 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

I find it hard to believe that it is only 'dinosaurs' that would question the existence of the London club at the moment.

London have always been a development club but when the professional side of that club is going backwards from a low starting point then there is more than an argument to question their continued inclusion, especially when it is in opposition to a number of clubs that as a professional outfit could do a better job.

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,457 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

They've lasted longer than some of their opponents.

Fulham-Cardiff-23.03.83-rugby-L.jpg

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

I think the dinosaurs are those who still believe it is important for increasing media coverage by having a team from London in SL. I'm sure that the game below SL level would survive and in some areas thrive just as well if London were to become a Championship team.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#19 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think the dinosaurs are those who still believe it is important for increasing media coverage by having a team from London in SL. I'm sure that the game below SL level would survive and in some areas thrive just as well if London were to become a Championship team.

The term dinosaur implies backwards in comparison to forward-thinking. However, if forward-thinking means supporting the continuation of a club with decreasing numbers of fans every year and an inability to compete then just call me a Brachiosaurus.

#20 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

I find it hard to believe that it is only 'dinosaurs' that would question the existence of the London club at the moment.

London have always been a development club but when the professional side of that club is going backwards from a low starting point then there is more than an argument to question their continued inclusion, especially when it is in opposition to a number of clubs that as a professional outfit could do a better job.

The Broncos, however poor they might be, do still offer a stepping stone for young southerners to make it in the game. You can come through the schools or community game down south, then play for the Broncos academy, Skolars, Hemel, Oxford etc, but there will still be a big chunk of lads who get that far, who are never going to be stars in the game.

Broncos gives lads a chance to see if they can go all the way, before they up sticks and move north, only to find out they can't really cut it anyway. If Clubb, Sarginson, Dixon etc, do leave Broncos for a decent SL side, then they may have been lost to the game totally if they hadn't had that opportunity at the Broncos to make the transition from age limited rugby to open age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users