TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Sub-prime mortgages re-emerge. What could possibly go wrong...?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Astonishing...

Sub-prime mortgages re-emerge in wake of Funding for Lending scheme
Loans designed for borrowers who have 'experienced one-off event resulting in adverse credit record', says lender

http://www.theguardi...ages-re-remerge

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

So, if you have a black mark on your credit history you should never be able to get credit/mortgages/etc in the future?

#3 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

So, if you have a black mark on your credit history you should never be able to get credit/mortgages/etc in the future?

Well, it's a policy that ended really well the last time, let's just repeat the mistake, huh.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#4 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Well, it's a policy that ended really well the last time, let's just repeat the mistake, huh.

Ah, so that's how we do things from now on. It went #### up before so we must never, ever do it again.

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Ah, so that's how we do things from now on. It went #### up before so we must never, ever do it again.

It would be foolish to deliberately create another housing bubble given that we know bubbles burst.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Clearly not, if this is any example.

Still, never mind eh, Johnny Taxpayer will be around to pick up the tab.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#7 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

It would be foolish to deliberately create another housing bubble given that we know bubbles burst.

The housing market being the key driver for the UK economy. The Government and Financial Institutions wouldn't like, would they.....

#8 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

And people also have a responsibility to only take on what they can afford. Just because someone's willing to lend you money doesn't mean you're obliged to snap their hand off.

#9 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

And people also have a responsibility to only take on what they can afford. Just because someone's willing to lend you money doesn't mean you're obliged to snap their hand off.

Very true. However, the facility to borrow in excess of 100% was farcical, to say the least.

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

An interest only mortgage for more than 100% of the value of a house is usually cheaper than rent.
- Severus, July 2012

#11 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Depends. First time

An interest only mortgage for more than 100% of the value of a house is usually cheaper than rent.

Indeed it is. The problem is those who take out the interest only mortgage always have a plan to repay the principal, but they'll sort it tomorrow.

#12 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Depends. First time

Indeed it is. The problem is those who take out the interest only mortgage always have a plan to repay the principal, but they'll sort it tomorrow.

Knowing a couple of people who took interest only mortgages, tomorrow was 25 years off. Their plan was to get to the end of the term, sell up, then repay the capital. 

#13 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Knowing a couple of people who took interest only mortgages, tomorrow was 25 years off. Their plan was to get to the end of the term, sell up, then repay the capital. 

If they'd paid as repayment then they'd get to keep the capital or they'd have somewhere to live rent-free for the rest of their lives if their health or financial situation deteriorated.

It was someone on this board a few years ago that said that interest-only mortgages were like gambles that you always lose.  Even if you sell up at the end of 25 years at a massive profit, it's profit minus the price of the house you have to pay back meaning you'll have to either hope you have enough other savings to pay the difference for a new house, take out a new mortgage for a similar size house, downsize or rent.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

If they'd paid as repayment then they'd get to keep the capital or they'd have somewhere to live rent-free for the rest of their lives if their health or financial situation deteriorated.

It was someone on this board a few years ago that said that interest-only mortgages were like gambles that you always lose.  Even if you sell up at the end of 25 years at a massive profit, it's profit minus the price of the house you have to pay back meaning you'll have to either hope you have enough other savings to pay the difference for a new house, take out a new mortgage for a similar size house, downsize or rent.

I said similar. I'm not advocating interest only mortgages by the way. But if you're struggling with rent and don't own your house anyway ...

- Severus, July 2012

#15 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,681 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

Astonishing...

Sub-prime mortgages re-emerge in wake of Funding for Lending scheme
Loans designed for borrowers who have 'experienced one-off event resulting in adverse credit record', says lender

http://www.theguardi...ages-re-remerge

....and so the cycle begins once again.

#16 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

While ever we live by capitalistic values we shouldn't be surprised.

Re interest only mortgages. They were designed for people with opportunities to raise capital through other means such as shares, pensions and similar products, by their ability to increase in value.

If people don't have any vehicle in place then that is foolish, however even a modest investment in ban k shares would have yielded a fantastic return over a repayment mortgage.

Therefore I don't know how you can castigate interest only mortgages when most consumers at the time they were developed, were relying on the straight jacket option pushed onto them by their bank. We also know what effect "bank-only" options had on peoples finances.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

...and as the encouraged greed ( at the expense of the less fortunate) of many in this  property owning democracy knows no bounds, it will all end in tears yet again and the gap between renters and owner will continue to increase

Darling, he's said his first words! "I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder....I  must get on the property ladder...."

#18 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

No, but people are obliged to live somewhere.  

I had a fairly posh job in England, and spent 40% of my income on renting a room in a flat.  Clearly, that is a foolhardy amount, but there was little option and many people spent more as house prices were out of kilter with wages.  

If I took a mortgage, then my expenditure would go down to about 30%.  Of course, the mortgage would have been huge, but would it have been clear cut recklessness on my part?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#19 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Yes, all well and good in theory, but in the real world it doesn't work like that as recent history has painfully proven: when lenders offer people money even when they know they probably can't afford to repay it or have a history of bad debt that the lender chooses to ignore in order to close the deal (and no doubt bag a hefty bonus), enough suckers will find a reason to take on that debt regardless of the risk, and sooner or later the whole enterprise will come crashing down around everyone's ears, not just those who offered the loan or those who stupidly took the risk of accepting it.

For all the political rhetoric since the banking crash, this proves that absolutely nothing has been learned from it.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#20 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yes, all well and good in theory, but in the real world it doesn't work like that as recent history has painfully proven: when lenders offer people money even when they know they probably can't afford to repay it or have a history of bad debt that the lender chooses to ignore in order to close the deal (and no doubt bag a hefty bonus), enough suckers will find a reason to take on that debt regardless of the risk, and sooner or later the whole enterprise will come crashing down around everyone's ears, not just those who offered the loan or those who stupidly took the risk of accepting it.

For all the political rhetoric since the banking crash, this proves that absolutely nothing has been learned from it.

Governments don't bite the hand that feeds them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users