Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ukip's Godfrey Bloom defends 'bongo bongo land' comments

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#201 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

My mother-in-law is Indian, albeit now with a British passport, and she's often heard ranting about these "bloody immigrants ruining Britain" after reading her Daily Mail.  She really doesn't see that she's an immigrant herself and that she's essentially just wanting to pull up the ladder behind herself.

Maybe not. I am very friendly with two neighbouring families who are respectively Sikh and Hindu. They lose their rag about the group-labelling in the media of "Asians" because they think their communities are being classed as problematic whereas they cause little if any problem.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#202 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

Maybe not. I am very friendly with two neighbouring families who are respectively Sikh and Hindu. They lose their rag about the group-labelling in the media of "Asians" because they think their communities are being classed as problematic whereas they cause little if any problem.

They are himmygrunts though.  Part of the 'not born here, can't belong here' stats quoted above.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#203 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Shotgungold you really are quite xenophobic. Migration Watch is hardly a trusted and unbiased source

"In Luton, 81 per cent of people said they identified as British."

"Fewer than 10% of cities have a White British & Irish minority"

Our emigrants are other countries immigrants. What will we do with all the ex-pats returning from India, Hong Kong, Spain, Portugal, France, Canada, Aus, NZ, South Africa, the US, West Inides, Patagonia etc? Must be millions of  'em!

Fine call me what you want. I'm past caring to be honest! Most people are now!

I never directly quoted Migration Watch, a national newspaper did. Unfortunately many think-tanks (naturally) have political leanings so please, show me a 100% unbiased source! I think really you understand the general picture.

My mother-in-law is Indian, albeit now with a British passport, and she's often heard ranting about these "bloody immigrants ruining Britain" after reading her Daily Mail.  She really doesn't see that she's an immigrant herself and that she's essentially just wanting to pull up the ladder behind herself.

Yes but at some point it does need to be pulled up!!

They are himmygrunts though.  Part of the 'not born here, can't belong here' stats quoted above.

My reason for those statistics were more to emphasise EXTENT. In fact my whole argument revolves around the idea of EXTENT. It is certainly not a 'not born here, can't belong here' mentality.

Perhaps this is just the 2010 talking in me, but I think that in the 1950s/1960s I would have welcomed many of the West Indian immigrants. Fighting for the British Empire during the war, labour shortages, and of course they had a thoroughly British education back then too (as colonies). By 1970 there were less than 250,000 of them. And I stated earlier that I don't mind the paltry numbers of asylum seekers/refugees we welcome into the country.

It's the extent and the state-multiculturalism I disagree with.

#204 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Ronnie Scott is definitely not British. FACT.

he died in 1996

Him and Tubby Haye's were the original Rock and Rolller hepcat's.

#205 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

It's the extent and the state-multiculturalism I disagree with.

Could you expand on what you mean by this please?

#206 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Multiculturalism shouldn't be about no go area's if you not the right colour or race and it shouldn't be about communities' who don't embrace not only the part's of the british way of life but also other people from different background's.

#207 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Multiculturalism shouldn't be about no go area's if you not the right colour or race and it shouldn't be about communities' who don't embrace not only the part's of the british way of life but also other people from different background's.

I'd like all UK settlers to learn about the appropriate use of apostrophes.

#208 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Yeah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users