TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Ukip's Godfrey Bloom defends 'bongo bongo land' comments

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#21 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Ukip's Godfrey Bloom defends 'bongo bongo land' comments
Politician says he is just expressing views of 'ordinary people in rugby and cricket club'
http://www.theguardi...ongo-bongo-land

What an offensive chump.

Some pottymouthed knuckledragger just sent me an expletive filled personal email in response to this.

I'd copy it here but the swear filter would just render it a string of ######'s

Hello curly@ausi.com, yes, I mean you!

What a sad case.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#22 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Some pottymouthed knuckledragger just sent me an expletive filled personal email in response to this.

I'd copy it here but the swear filter would just render it a string of ######'s

Hello curly@ausi.com, yes, I mean you!

What a sad case.

For worse, try trolling the Daily Mail website with comments about UKIP being racist. :P

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#23 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

Isn't BongoBongo land just the African version of Middleofffingnowhereistan

#24 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

For worse, try trolling the Daily Mail website with comments about UKIP being racist. :P

I'm not saying you would deserve what you got if you did that but you wouldn't really be helping yourself.

#25 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'm not saying you would deserve what you got if you did that but you wouldn't really be helping yourself.

I just enjoy reading the UKIP comments on there, even the most innocuous of negatives about UKIP gets the commenter heaps of abuse.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

I just enjoy reading the UKIP comments on there, even the most innocuous of negatives about UKIP gets the commenter heaps of abuse.

That's because there's nothing a faux libertarian likes more than to be outraged.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#27 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

That's because there's nothing a faux libertarian likes more than to be outraged.

I don't think you surrender your right to outrage when you become a libertarian.

#28 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

I don't think you surrender your right to outrage when you become a libertarian.

You should surrender your membership of Ukip if you do actually become libertarian though.

- Severus, July 2012

#29 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

Well the hysteria over the comments by the likes of the BBC and The Guardian is missing the point entirely. UKIP are an anti establishment movement that is based on the fact that the three main political parties have failed to listen to the public on any number of issues and are perceived to be out of touch with ordinary people.

Dissatisfaction with unsustainably high and culturally transformational levels of immigration, 4 million in the last 10 years, and the increasingly intrusive ideological political correctness and multiculturalism being the two main issues. High levels of immigration have never been popular with the British public and never will be but the political mainstream have dismissed these concerns as being unacceptable and the domain of racists and soldiered on with their pro immigration policies regardless.

What the political establishment don't understand is that the more you ridicule, abuse and belittle UKIP and their like the more popular they will became. Look at the local elections this year. UKIP were savaged in the media in the lead up and they have a massive spike in support. Having an assorted collection of Upper Middle class London-based lefties sneering at you is UKIP's greatest recruiting tool.

Bloom is lapping it up because he knows that his target voter think along the same lines as he does. They are sick of being taken for granted, looked down upon, dismissed and sneered at for holding perfectly fair and legitimate political views. The more they are sneered at the angrier they become.

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

UKIP are an anti establishment movement ...

And its members seem more establishment than the establishment.

Bloom went to the same school as the Harman children, he's the son of an officer, was an officer himself and his job in civilian life was as an investment banker.  And of course he's been riding the MEP gravy train for a decade now.

- Severus, July 2012

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

What the political establishment don't understand is that the more you ridicule, abuse and belittle UKIP and their like the more popular they will became. Look at the local elections this year. UKIP were savaged in the media in the lead up and they have a massive spike in support.

The 'anti' parties usually well in local and by-elections. UKIP's support has dropped since.

They are sick of being taken for granted, looked down upon, dismissed and sneered at for holding perfectly fair and legitimate political views.

They are generally sneered at for their (not very convincing) facade of reasonable, "bloke in the street" straight talking, but they can't stop the mask slipping every now and then.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,652 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

It's 'listening to the public'
That's part of the problem in uk politics

Rather than pursue policies based on principle and belief parties pursue policies that seem populist
That's why we get so many ill thought out reactions to events that are unworkable the dangerous dogs act the bedroom tax and so on
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#33 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

What the political establishment don't understand is that the more you ridicule, abuse and belittle UKIP and their like the more popular they will became. Look at the local elections this year. UKIP were savaged in the media in the lead up and they have a massive spike in support. Having an assorted collection of Upper Middle class London-based lefties sneering at you is UKIP's greatest recruiting tool.

I disagree. I think UKIP get an incredibly easy ride from the media. Their spokespeople, on the rare occasion you see anyone but Nigel Farage representing them, are hardly ever seriously questioned or challenged on their views or policies in the same way that politicians from the three main parties are. If it ever does happen, they squeal like stuck pigs about it and their policies usually fall apart at the seams being revealed as the incoherent dog whistle nonsense they are.

It's true, a lot of people are disillusioned with mainstream politics and currently use UKIP as a dumping ground for a protest vote, but like the BNP before them, the more votes they get and the more representatives who get elected as a result, the more scrutiny they will be put under and the more they will be found wanting, at which point any apparent surge in popularity will evaporate like morning mist and move on to the next fringe party operating under the radar of media scrutiny.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#34 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

I disagree. I think UKIP get an incredibly easy ride from the media. Their spokespeople, on the rare occasion you see anyone but Nigel Farage representing them, are hardly ever seriously questioned or challenged on their views or policies in the same way that politicians from the three main parties are. If it ever does happen, they squeal like stuck pigs about it and their policies usually fall apart at the seams being revealed as the incoherent dog whistle nonsense they are.

It's true, a lot of people are disillusioned with mainstream politics and currently use UKIP as a dumping ground for a protest vote, but like the BNP before them, the more votes they get and the more representatives who get elected as a result, the more scrutiny they will be put under and the more they will be found wanting, at which point any apparent surge in popularity will evaporate like morning mist and move on to the next fringe party operating under the radar of media scrutiny.

As much as I dislike the UKIP lot, surely what you say is the same treatment the Lib Dems and SNP got before they got a sniff of power.  In Scotland, Salmond was treated as that funny little Scottish man in charge of a funny little Scottish party by the media until he won first a minority lead then a majority in the Scottish Parliament, now he's getting the opposite treatment of every policy being scrutinised to death.  Same with the Lib Dems, until the last election they could put up policies about giving everyone in Britain their own free wind turbine, domestic composter and incinerator and they'd get no media takers, now they get the worst of the coverage, if it's good news or very important stuff then the Tories swarm like flies, if it's bad news then they're looking for a Lib Dem to stand in front of the telly cameras.

How many votes did the Lib Dems get as a protest because the voters thought they wouldn't get a sniff of power.  Now they have that's unlikely to happen to the anywhere near the same extent next election.

#35 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Godfrey Bloom is a god-awful man! Funnily enough I only discovered him the day before on Radio 2 where any regulation was effectively the same as Soviet Union and any government policy was just 'political correctness gone mad,' to a common-sense guy like him.

Bloom and his supporters have tried to make this into an issue over aid which it is not, he just happened to be talking about that at the time. There is of course a genuine debate to be had on that but this isn't why he made the news.

The simple fact is that everybody knew 100% what he meant when he said bongo-bongo land. It wasn't some vague term aimed at foreigners it was African specific, and conjured up pictures of uncivilised Africans dancing around a fire with spears in their hands. It cannot be written off as simply an old-fashioned comment, there's much more to it than that in my opinion and says much more about his state of mind and opinion of foreigners.

Yes he'll get some support for this but Duff Duff is wrong in thinking UKIP are on any kind of surge, they have very much a minority appeal and are currently a protest vote. With the extra publicity they are getting we will find out what they are really like, which is basically the extremes of the Tory party.

#36 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Sorry but you can't dismiss a political party that has consistently polled at about 15% for the last year or so and has continued to outstrip the Liberals. 

In 2009 they came second in the UK European elections with 2.4 million votes. I would hazard a guess that they will do much better in the 2014 European elections and they have the potential to win them. With the anti-politics vibe about them the more they are attacked and sneered at the more their support will be galvanised. 

Their rise has been a direct consequence of the inability of the mainstream political parties to confront the problems of uncontrolled and unsustainable levels of immigration. Until those concerns are dealt with UKIP won't be going anywhere. I mean the Labour Party haven't even confronted the monumental  mistakes that they made in that regard since 2001 and are still operating in an environment detached from reality having enthusiastically followed policies that have threatened the economic and social welfare of their core support. 

UKIP aren't the BNP. People won't be put off from voting for them because they are not a bunch of neo fascist thugs and football hooligans. The mainstream parties need to have a long hard look at itself and realise why they are failing to engage with the electorate. 

#37 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Two British teenage voluntary aid workers have had acid chucked in their faces today in Zanzibar, for the crime of being young women out on the street.

Sounds just like Bongo Bongo Land to me.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#38 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

Not often I post on these type of threads but for once I agree with the UKIP MEP.From what i've read and seen it only seems to be white,middle class people who are offended by the term used,which is usually the case when something like this happens.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 08 August 2013 - 02:09 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#39 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Sorry but you can't dismiss a political party that has consistently polled at about 15% for the last year or so and has continued to outstrip the Liberals.

In 2009 they came second in the UK European elections with 2.4 million votes. I would hazard a guess that they will do much better in the 2014 European elections and they have the potential to win them. With the anti-politics vibe about them the more they are attacked and sneered at the more their support will be galvanised.

Their rise has been a direct consequence of the inability of the mainstream political parties to confront the problems of uncontrolled and unsustainable levels of immigration. Until those concerns are dealt with UKIP won't be going anywhere. I mean the Labour Party haven't even confronted the monumental mistakes that they made in that regard since 2001 and are still operating in an environment detached from reality having enthusiastically followed policies that have threatened the economic and social welfare of their core support.

UKIP aren't the BNP. People won't be put off from voting for them because they are not a bunch of neo fascist thugs and football hooligans. The mainstream parties need to have a long hard look at itself and realise why they are failing to engage with the electorate.

UKIP are a protest party. Nothing more. Until they can come up with even 1/10th of the policies of the major parties then that's what they'll stay. As it stands their only policy is to get out of Europe and criticise anything with a health and safety remit.

#40 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

UKIP are a protest party. Nothing more. Until they can come up with even 1/10th of the policies of the major parties then that's what they'll stay. As it stands their only policy is to get out of Europe and criticise anything with a health and safety remit.

Protesting against what may I ask? Why are people voting for an anti-EU party that supports immigration control and not the Greens, Respect or even the good old Labour Party? 

The opinions polls show that after the economy the second most important issue affecting people's lives is immigration and border control. Until the mainstream political parties, especially those on the left, wake up to that fact and do something about it then UKIP's support will continue to grow.

The Romanians and Bulgarians haven't even arrived on mass yet. After 1st January that will become as big an issue of not bigger than when the Poles arrived on mass. 

The mainstream political parties burying their heads in the sand over these issues isn't going to wish them away. 

It isn't just the UK either. There has been a wave of anti immigration parties having success in France, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark and Sweden. Time the political mainstream woke up to the fact. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users