TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Salford looking good.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

http://www.reds.co.u...-week-of-season

#2 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

I am really pleased for Salford's long suffering supporters.

#3 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 798 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Even I'm pretty excited and I don't support them. Good luck to the Reds and Dr Koukash. It utterly amazes me that a guy like this puts a lot of energy and passion into RL and he still gets slated.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Excellent stuff, I know that the saying "sleeping giant" is to often overused but Salford are truly that, what with the financial backing and if they can tap into the Manchester market for both fans and players they can become a major force.

#5 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Really hope this comes off for Salford. It would be good to see them turned into a proper club that is challenging with the best, rather than there simply to make up the numbers.

Could help other people get involved. In the grand scheme of things you could buy one of the bottom SL clubs and turn them into real challengers for very little money, say compared to what it would take in soccer.

#6 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Oh how I love the Dr !

#7 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

Excellent stuff, I know that the saying "sleeping giant" is to often overused but Salford are truly that, what with the financial backing and if they can tap into the Manchester market for both fans and players they can become a major force.

Except they won't tap into the Manchester market unless they change heir name to Manchester, rather than Salford.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Except they won't tap into the Manchester market unless they change heir name to Manchester, rather than Salford.

Not sure how you figure that out.  Saints have fans from Liverpool and the Wirral, Australia and Japan but they haven't had to change their name to achieve that! 

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

Why would they have to change their name in order to try and spread RL in Manchester? They already have close ties with a school in Manchester, st peters I think which is already starting to supply Salford with foundation and academy players. They could try and replicate this in other parts of the city as well as attract potential new fans, I'm a saints fan and have met people from Liverpool attending matches so why can't Salford do the same with peope from Manchester. BTW I don't want them to change their name to Manchester red devils.

#10 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

We already have lots of fans who aren't actually from Salford. Changing the name will alienate far more existing fans than it will attract new ones.

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

hang on a minute, haven't salford been in existance for well over 100 years.........so how will they suddenly tap into the manchester market if they haven't been able to do so for a century....
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#12 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

hang on a minute, haven't salford been in existance for well over 100 years.........so how will they suddenly tap into the manchester market if they haven't been able to do so for a century....

By doing things differently?
Posted Image

#13 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:55 PM

Good luck to them, hope it proves a success I really do. Nice to see a club trying to redevelop themselves and giving the fans something to lookc forward to at the end of the regular season since they aint in the play offs is a great idea. It means they can start generating interest for next season immediately after the conclusion of the current campaign

still hoping one of their signings is Lance Hohaia though so Saints can get shut of him

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#14 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

This gives a shred of hope to those of us that follow a team who isnt one of the big 4.

I wish them all the best along with Hudds.

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

If this is as good as it sounds then I'm quite prepared to eat humble pie over this.  Very very pleased to see that things seem to be heading in such a positive direction at Salford.

(Edited for typo.)

Edited by gingerjon, 08 August 2013 - 06:23 AM.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#16 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

This gives a shred of hope to those of us that follow a team who isnt one of the big 4.

I wish them all the best along with Hudds.

Why?
Posted Image

#17 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

So is Hock going to Salford then? I can't remember if this was mentioned previously or I just made it up.

#18 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Why would they have to change their name in order to try and spread RL in Manchester? They already have close ties with a school in Manchester, st peters I think which is already starting to supply Salford with foundation and academy players. They could try and replicate this in other parts of the city as well as attract potential new fans, I'm a saints fan and have met people from Liverpool attending matches so why can't Salford do the same with peope from Manchester. BTW I don't want them to change their name to Manchester red devils.

St Helen's (and Widnes) have been successful in attracting fans from all over Merseyside by embracing the fact they are a Mersey club. Remember when thy both had sponsorship from Liverpool '08 (some expo or festival) and I recall some sort of Saints in the City campaign as well. It makes sense, and I assume people from St Helen's consider themselves Merseysiders as well.

Salford fans on the other hand, reject that they are part of Manchester, and when people suggest they cold be a big Manchester club, they angrily deny they are Manchester and don't consider themselves Mancunians. Until this attitude changes, they will never tap into the Manchester market.

Hopefully Dr Koukash has more foresight than the fans and uses this opportunity to broaden their appeal. I've been to Salford, and it's as much a part of Manchester as Trafford is (where Man Utd play). It's time to break out of their eggshell, as its only way they will increase their crowds from the 2000 they currently get.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

St Helen's (and Widnes) have been successful in attracting fans from all over Merseyside by embracing the fact they are a Mersey club. Remember when thy both had sponsorship from Liverpool '08 (some expo or festival) and I recall some sort of Saints in the City campaign as well. It makes sense, and I assume people from St Helen's consider themselves Merseysiders as well.

Salford fans on the other hand, reject that they are part of Manchester, and when people suggest they cold be a big Manchester club, they angrily deny they are Manchester and don't consider themselves Mancunians. Until this attitude changes, they will never tap into the Manchester market.

Hopefully Dr Koukash has more foresight than the fans and uses this opportunity to broaden their appeal. I've been to Salford, and it's as much a part of Manchester as Trafford is (where Man Utd play). It's time to break out of their eggshell, as its only way they will increase their crowds from the 2000 they currently get.

There's too much ill informed nonsense in this post for me to even know where to start dissecting it.

#20 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

I really hopes it works out well for the Red Devils. I would love them to make the playoffs next season. Thye have been crying out to be properly marketed for yeara and now its going to happen. Great for the club and great for Rugby League.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users