15 replies to this topic

#1 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

http://www.catalansd...2013-08-07_2928

Does he have a point?

I was told a couple of weeks ago by a SL coach that the advice on what constitutes a shoulder tackle from the RFL was "gibberish".

Mind you, first sight from the stands on Saturday I thought it was a shocker and he would get 3-4 games!

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#2 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

I don't think he'd be too bothered with the ban if other players who committed the same offence, or similar, were dealt with in the same vain. It's not the first time a decision has gone against the Dragons and it doesn't surprise me that he is very upset. I wonder if there are any kind of legal channels he can consider as I suppose things like this put the team at a seemingly unfair disadvantage.

I don't find it unbelievable when it is said that there is a conspiracy against the dragons.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#3 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Whilst I'm not quite sure of the underlying reason (and whether it extends beyond just random inconsistency at the disciplinary hearing), it is hard to argue that Catalans have not been treated harshly in comparison to the other incidents noted in the article. 

#4 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

The Ellis one seems completely different from the others. He has his arms out it doesnt even look like a shoulder charge.

The others look just as bad. Makes you wonder what the disciplinary panel have seen.

#5 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

http://www.catalansd...2013-08-07_2928

Does he have a point?

I was told a couple of weeks ago by a SL coach that the advice on what constitutes a shoulder tackle from the RFL was "gibberish".

Mind you, first sight from the stands on Saturday I thought it was a shocker and he would get 3-4 games!

He certainly does have a point since a carbon copy of that tackle was committed 2weeks ago on the same player with the same outcome in that the player was taken out of the game, only that time the perpetrator played for Wigan, and received penalty sufficient no further action.

If the tackle was not serious 2 weeks ago what has changed?

#6 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Fair point well made by Catalans.

#7 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

Fair point well made by Catalans.

Made by Catalans, Ignored by RFL (probably).
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#8 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Made by Catalans, Ignored by RFL (probably).

Lets see hopefully the RFL will have to justify there position either publicly or privately with Catalans.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Scruton was late but not a shoulder charge.
Ellis was neither late nor a shoulder charge.

They've got a point with Taylor though. I think showing the other two takes away from their point.
Posted Image

#10 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

They've got a point with Taylor though. I think showing the other two takes away from their point.

I agree.  They should have referred also to the time when O'Brien was knocked out in a similar tackle when he was on loan at Castleford earlier in the season.  That would then be three incidents involving the same player with the same result (although the latest I think the most serious looking) as a consequence of what looked like almost identical tackles.  I would love to hear the justification by the RFL for letting the first two players off completely but banning the third for three matches.  So far as I remember there wasn't definitive proof of direct contact to the head on any of the three occasions. 

#11 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Meli got 4 matches for belting Craig Hall.
Paterson got 4 matches for hammering Blake Green.
Darrell Griffin wasn't charged after laying out Matty Smith, he didn't hit him with the shoulder and didn't hit his head either.
Scott Taylor wasn't charged after flattening Gareth O'Brien, same reason as Griffin.

Meli and Paterson hit their opponent on the head and were banned.
Griffin and Taylor neither hit with the shoulder nor hit the head, no charge.
Doesn't seem too inconsistent to me.

#12 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

Meli got 4 matches for belting Craig Hall.Paterson got 4 matches for hammering Blake Green.Darrell Griffin wasn't charged after laying out Matty Smith, he didn't hit him with the shoulder and didn't hit his head either.Scott Taylor wasn't charged after flattening Gareth O'Brien, same reason as Griffin.Meli and Paterson hit their opponent on the head and were banned.Griffin and Taylor neither hit with the shoulder nor hit the head, no charge.Doesn't seem too inconsistent to me.

You are Shaun Wane I claim my five pounds

#13 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

shown again tonight could little difference in the last two, both late with the shoulder charge and Obrien knocked out. One gets no charge one 3 matches,if Tomkins was on the receiving end wane would be yelling from the roof tops.

#14 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

i have watched that video a dozen times and it just does not look like a hit to the head, o'brien head whips badly from the impact, harsh ban for mine.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#15 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

i have watched that video a dozen times and it just does not look like a hit to the head, o'brien head whips badly from the impact, harsh ban for mine.

I don't think it is a harsh ban, and to be fair I don't think that is Catalan's gripe. The gripe is that suddenly this challenge is considered serious, and compared to the other tackles (on O'Brien) there is not much difference.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

Meli got 4 matches for belting Craig Hall.
Paterson got 4 matches for hammering Blake Green.
Darrell Griffin wasn't charged after laying out Matty Smith, he didn't hit him with the shoulder and didn't hit his head either.
Scott Taylor wasn't charged after flattening Gareth O'Brien, same reason as Griffin.

Meli and Paterson hit their opponent on the head and were banned.
Griffin and Taylor neither hit with the shoulder nor hit the head, no charge.
Doesn't seem too inconsistent to me.

Just to be pedantic, Wane wasn't impressed with Griffin at the time. Link

I caught up with Backchat last night and amongst all the usual waffle guff was a line to come down hard on these offences, players know it's outlawed so should learn sharpish with a suspension of merit.

What bugs me though is whenever we get these incidents we get Anderson decrying it's the worst thing in the world, Gentle dismissing it as nothing, Wane bemoaning Griffin yet not Taylor, Gausch more concerned about the punishment than the incident, Brown excusing Meli against Hull KR. These grown men need to stop acting like children and accept sometimes their players f*ck up and deserve banning.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users