French history, or at least history teaching in France

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,643 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

History's wasted on kids. The vast majority of us are just not interested in the past when we're young.

I was bored by my school lessons as I had so few reference points*. Now Im fascinated, and would gladly pay good money to have the same teachers give me the same classes I was bored by.

*eg

Teacher: "The Romans invaded Britain in 55BC".

Me (to myself): "The Romans?? Flook me, one city conquered our whole country? Why did they choose us? That's a bit random. What about Milan and Juventus, where did they conquer? We must have been c rap. Etc."

I loved history lessons when I was a kid even though most of it was nonsense(I didn't know at the time)

when I was about six my dad took me to ponte castle. I was spellbound, a real castle where there had been battles and that had dungeons, and a churche next to it that had had its roof blown off by Oliver cromwell. That was all I needed. I saw and still do see history in everything around me .

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#22 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

We celebrate our victories in the Hundred Years War ( another misnomer) particularly the stunning victories at Crecy and Agincourt.
They say the most important battle in any war is the last battle as that defines the outcome of the war. I was never taught about the battle of Castillon -which we lost.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users