Membership Fees

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

If you wanted another reason to carefully consider the impact of the Operational rules then here it is, clearly its being kept quiet for now until such time as the Leagues have agreed to abide by the OR's.

It had been suggested that the average cost implication to each club and its members collectively could be around £2,500 per season.

Community Game Financial Strategy

In light of our position with Sport England, Chris Rostron presented to the members how the funding currently breaks down and some ideas for new ways of growing finances.

He explained to members on the investigation into the Community Games’ finances and the report in which was produced by Susan Allan, which highlighted the costs of the Community Game and the pressures it faces. The key conclusions from this investigation was that of the over-reliance on the Sport England funding and how this reliance reduces our choices within the game.

CR advised that there were several broad areas where we could attract income; through additional grants from Sport England, Sponsorships and membership fees.

It was noted that it costs on average £189 per annum for an U13’s player.

CR said other NGB’s had implemented a membership fee and showed the range of fees charged.

He said membership fees could significantly assist the core services that the Community Game depends on.

These fees would sit alongside any sponsorship value that is secured, which would in turn, reduce the cost of membership fees.

We require £640k from membership fees to assist with the core costs (but can be offset should sponsorship be sought).

CR suggested that players, coaches and match officials should register with the RFL and pay a membership fee.

He proposed the new Strategy and the need for central administration and the implementation of the membership fee.

CR advised that once further information and consultation has been sought, and a fee structure has been produced, he envisages that he will return to the April meeting with a recommendation.

The new processes should be ready by September with a pilot scheme in October with the proposal to be ready for the 2014 season.

The Board agreed that CR should work further on the proposal and its cost implications. 

Edited by LordCharles, 08 August 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#2 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

He said membership fees could significantly assist the core services that the Community Game depends on.

Perhaps the core services should be reduced to what is actually needed

He proposed the new Strategy and the need for central administration and the implementation of the membership fee.

An increase in bean counters and paper shufflers?

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#3 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

As an example, the LTA charges membership.

If you are a member of an affiliated club, your membership is "free". However your club pays a fee to the LTA based on the number of courts it has. This means they don't have to pay differing amounts each year based on membership size.

I also pay £10 a year to England Athletics, but get £2 discount on each race I enter so I easily get that back.

Not sure about RFU, FA etc.

You can see why Sport England and others are asking the RFL why they don't do the same thing. However, imposing memberships as an extra cost when clubs are struggling through a recession and other upheavals is not going to sit well. If you have a variable fee, based on membership, then what constitutes a member? Do you have to pay for each registered player? Outside the heartlands we rely on getting players to play the odd game to see if they like it. If it's a flat fee we would have similar problems we have with insurance, where teams playing a handful of fixtures pay the same as a team playing 25-30 games.

Good luck to whoever at the RFL has to sell this one!
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#4 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Will we get a free beanie hat if we sign up ?

#5 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Irrespective of how it is charged or what tariff they put on membership £640,000 per season is a lot of money to take out of the amateur game from the participants, volunteers and clubs that make it work week in and week out and have done for the last 40 years or so!!!!

Edited by LordCharles, 08 August 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#6 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Does anyone know where i can buy a rope?

#7 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Considering the implications this has for clubs I'm surprised some of our more opinionated posters that have been on here over the last few days have little to say on it!

It was I believe hinted a ballpark figure of £250 per team per season would be the kind of membership fee involved, so a club with 12 teams could be looking at £3,000 per season.

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Does anyone know where i can buy a rope?

I've got some with a 20 ton breaking strain

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#9 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 787 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Will be interested to see what the likes of GAR, THE 4 OF US, etc etc etc think about the OR's when their clubs/players/coaches are forced to pay their membership fees or face having no fixtures  ;)

Edited by LordCharles, 09 August 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#10 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Will be interested to see what the likes of GAR, THE 4 OF US, etc etc etc think about the OR's when their clubs/players/coaches are forced to pay their membership fees or face having no fixtures  ;)

I can't believe that this has got by or even being considered by the Community Board gang to be truthful - If the answer is it hasn't gone by the community board, then questions need asking why not and is this the tip of the iceberg of how the RFL are going to Operate once you've signed up for the operational rules.

I'm waiting for the discount for the clubs who sign up to the Operational Rules who will also get a scarf in their clubs colour's along with the Beanie hat.

"Shhhhhhhhhhhhh do you hear it"

#11 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Will be interested to see what the likes of GAR, THE 4 OF US, etc etc etc think about the OR's when their clubs/players/coaches are forced to pay their membership fees or face having no fixtures ;)

I'll bite.

Difficulty if individuals like your good self Mr Charles is that you're a bit like a politician in opposition. Objecting to everything, proposing nothing and promising the world whilst costing nothing.

The world isn't like that. If there is a cost to running the leagues and there is a funding gap then it seems entirely sensible to me Thst considered given to considering how to fill the hole.

It seems clear from the minutes you have quoted from the 9 pages of that meeting that the matter was to be investigated further.Barla was represented at the hearing so no secrecy to complain of.

If there's a funding gap and monies need to be raised to fill it then it follows that the money has to come from somewhere. I note sponsorship is also proposed but how much can be obtained in the current climate anybody knows.

£200 per team or say £10 per player per year for membership of your sports governing body would seem a small price to pay for membership of your sports governing body if that money is re-invested to cover costs.

I'd ask you what you would propose but you'd clearly prefer people not to ask the question because you haven't got the answer.

#12 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

I think the vast majority of clubs would struggle to pay anywhere near the figures quoted. I know mine would. It would therefore be a question of passing the costs straight on to the players so effectively they would pay an rfl subscription at the same time as their annual club subscription. If the rfl levy too high a subscription it may well result in fewer participants which would seem to be counter- productive so I hope it's something they think very carefully about.

#13 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

I think the vast majority of clubs would struggle to pay anywhere near the figures quoted. I know mine would. It would therefore be a question of passing the costs straight on to the players so effectively they would pay an rfl subscription at the same time as their annual club subscription. If the rfl levy too high a subscription it may well result in fewer participants which would seem to be counter- productive so I hope it's something they think very carefully about.

Absolutely.

#14 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 787 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

The 4 of us..........

How do you know of the 9 page document?

I take it you have a copy, if so that narrows a few things down ;)

#15 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'd be interest to know what the position is in Rugby Union, Football and Cricket.

#16 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

The 4 of us..........

You see you can believe in little green men or you can use a functioning brain, cut and paste the paragraph you reported and put it into google.

Guess what comes up? A 9 page document from a Community Board meeting. You're looking for conspiracies that don't exist and the problem is you're basing your non-decision making on them. Are you club colleagues wholly behind you on this, or you on a frolic of your own?

#17 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Edited by The 4 of Us, 09 August 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#18 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

The 4 of us..........

:ph34r:  who also came on the scene and to the fore when the mardy crew went into self imposed exile :tease:

Edited by Marauder, 09 August 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#19 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

:ph34r: who also came on the scene and to the fore when the mardy crew went into self imposed exile :tease:

Put on your tinfoil hat and look at my posting history.

Edited by The 4 of Us, 09 August 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#20 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

You will have to excuse Marauder he is always in full sneer/whine mode.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users