Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham v All Golds (3pm Whitebank Stadium)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

Team and score predictions for Sunday!!!

I think the team will be slightly different from the one that had the victory's over NWC and Skolars especially when we face Rochdale on the 15th August 2013.

Score

Oldham 38 v All Golds 16

The future is bright, the future is Oldham red and white!

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#2 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Yeah i agree with you there, i think there will be changes also- hopefully not too many to disrupt the momentum over the last few weeks. Its a bit devil and deep blue sea really, all we want is the 3 points and no injuries for the last game/possible play offs. We should still have plenty in the tank whoever plays, could honestly see us winning by 40 or 50 but i aint right bothered if its only by one :). If the team is tweaked im sure the lads who come in will do us proud. Roll on Sunday. Up the Yeds!

#3 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

Im expecting rats to start in what maybe last home game for him, think whitehead will be in too and nield and Cookson just my opinion that tho

#4 Tony Mac

Tony Mac
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Think it would be a fitting end for Rats and an opportunity for the supporters to give him a nice send off if he plays in what would probably be his final game. Maybe a place on the bench if Naylor doesn't want to mess the team around too much.

If not then let me be the first to say thanks to Ratty for the service he's given to the Roughyeds over the years.  Don't think his appearances and tries scored records will ever be surpassed in the future as players don't tend to stay around one particuar club for long enough nowadays.

He's been a real servant to the club and, who knows, there may be a role in the backroom staff for him going forward.

Thanks again Neil

Edited by Tony Mac, 09 August 2013 - 12:31 PM.

Tony Mac

Nobody believes the official spokesman, but everybody trusts an unidentified source.

#5 higgy

higgy
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Think it would be a fitting end for Rats and an opportunity for the supporters to give him a nice send off if he plays in what would probably be his final game. Maybe a place on the bench if Naylor doesn't want to mess the team around too much.

If not then let me be the first to say thanks to Ratty for the service he's given to the Roughyeds over the years.  Don't think his appearances and tries scored records will ever be surpassed in the future as players don't tend to stay around one particuar club for long enough nowadays.

He's been a real servant to the club and, who knows, there may be a role in the backroom staff for him going forward.

Thanks again Neil

Got to second that.

#6 Spacecake

Spacecake
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

Any of you lads going to Wembley ?

#7 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yeah full wkend down there spacecake

#8 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

I'm hoping for 1K plus crowd on Sunday if the last game is to go by. I think we can look forward to an afternoons entertainment and maybe Ratty's last game. A deserving servant and an example to the young lads. I suspect he may show up again next year with Oxford but hopefully in a league below us.

So if your fed up with boring predictable super duper league or wendyball then come and see some real sport close up.

One for all and all for the one

#9 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

I can't see above 600/700 but would really like to see a good crowd for ratty, if he plays for this last home league game.

In this day and age the loyalty he has shown is very rare, a true modern age legend.

#10 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

i will probably not be there but I am sorry to be missing Rats last match.  Pretty sure my daughter respected him as well in the days when she helped out the physio on a voluntary basis.  The kind of loyalty he has shown is all too rare.  The constant dismantling and reassembling of squads on an annual basis has, I suspect, been one of the reasons why fans no longer feel the same attachment to clubs.

Good luck to all for Sunday.

#11 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

I would also hope that he can serve the club in some backroom capacity if it suits him.

#12 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

COME ON OLDHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#13 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

COME ON OLDHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seconded.
Also come on stags! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 11 August 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#14 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

I kept checking the yeds score as I was watching crusaders - we played very well by the way. You were 18-0 up when I left the Racecourse so was surprised to see the final score, what happened? We still need to play very well but as I see it we can afford to lose again as long as we get the bonus point. Still very close!!

#15 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

Poor performance today, but hardly surprising given the exertions of the past couple of weeks. Poor ref, but I thought our discipline was appalling. Too many players had off days today, and why oh why did we not go for 2 points, to virtually put the game to bed, when we led 18-0 early in the second half. The dropped point has proved costly, as Crusaders now need to lose at Skolars without getting a bonus point for us to be champions and I can't see that happening. And that's assuming we win on Thursday. So, looks like the play offs for us, when, I feel, we need to field our strongest team all the way through.

#16 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

The gamble didn't pay off!!!!!!!

The coaching staff gambled and that gamble back fired with a draw that puts us in the play offs.

Yes, the merry whistle blower was appalling and I think the ref's integrity must be called into question after Bloomfield was unlawfully challenged off the ball which lead to a All Golds Try and when Bloomfield complained he was sin binned by Bloom. .

The todays performance was decided before a ball was kicked. The coaches decision to play an untested half back partnership clearly showed. Ratty has been a great servant to the club but for me you always play your strongest squad and you don't rest your regular half backs unless you have to. There was too many changes to todays team. I am a massive fan of David Cookson but he missed tackles today, the half backs didn't create an offensive attacking plays. the defence was very good, we played 15 to 20 mins of the second half with 12 players. Another decision that COST us the game was allowing none regular kickers take the conversations. We missed 3 conversations which cost us the game. I can not knock the level of commitment by the players.

I would like to know the penalty count, All Golds interfered with every play the ball but that was ignored by ref.

NWC are not going to loss two matches so I predict the playoffs again and we all know our record in that run of games.

I am disappointed that we dropped a point against the bottom of the league but to be fair All Gold played well against Oldham's 12 men.

The coaching staff need to chalk this game up to experience.

Bad day at the office considering we attracted another 1000+ crowd.

Edited by oldham13, 11 August 2013 - 04:57 PM.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#17 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Run in..

If we win at Rochdale that puts us on 41 points.

If NWC win against Oxford and South Wales and loss against London Skolars but gain a bonus point they will have 41 points, they have greater points difference. If NWC win the remaining three games they win the league.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#18 RugbyLeaguePlaya

RugbyLeaguePlaya
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

The gamble didn't pay off!!!!!!!The coaching staff gambled and that gamble back fired with a draw that puts us in the play offs.Yes, the merry whistle blower was appalling and I think the ref's integrity must be called into question after Bloomfield was unlawfully challenged off the ball which lead to a All Golds Try and when Bloomfield complained he was sin binned by Bloom. .The todays performance was decided before a ball was kicked. The coaches decision to play an untested half back partnership clearly showed. Ratty has been a great servant to the club but for me you always play your strongest squad and you don't rest your regular half backs unless you have to. There was too many changes to todays team. I am a massive fan of David Cookson but he missed tackles today, the half backs didn't create an offensive attacking plays. the defence was very good, we played 15 to 20 mins of the second half with 12 players. Another decision that COST us the game was allowing none regular kickers take the conversations. We missed 3 conversations which cost us the game. I can not knock the level of commitment by the players.I would like to know the penalty count, All Golds interfered with every play the ball but that was ignored by ref.NWC are not going to loss two matches so I predict the playoffs again and we all know our record in that run of games.I am disappointed that we dropped a point against the bottom of the league but to be fair All Gold played well against Oldham's 12 men.The coaching staff need to chalk this game up to experience.Bad day at the office considering we attracted another 1000+ crowd.

I agree and disagree with some of your comments I'm afraid. All the all golds tries came down Oldham's left hand side which was due to 2 players being sent of! Oldham can not afford to have any players sent off. The all golds took advantage of this and attacked Oldham's left had side and ended up getting joy out of it. As for Cookson missing tackles none of the missed tackles resulted in a try so they are irrelevant. Cookson put some really big hits in today and personally i was impressed especially considering he has not played in a while. I would concentrate on the players on the left hand side who's missed tackles did result in tries. The tries oldham did score needed to be converted! If all the goals had been kicked oldham would have won. The penalty oldham was awarded also should have been converted into two points. Never mind lets look forward to Thursday!!! And probably the play offs if North Wales don't crumble!!

#19 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

We missfired today. Should have been good enough with the team we had. Young lads have the occasional off day and today one or two were below par.Ref was poor, at the end clearly bloomers was taken out in the air and then the ref sin binned him for abuse, yet Gloucester were mouthing at him all the game. Still credit to Gloucester who played till the end.

Difficult to bring in rats with no game time so thanks to him for all the good memories.

Roll on Thursday.

One for all and all for the one

#20 higgy

higgy
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

We missfired today. Should have been good enough with the team we had. Young lads have the occasional off day and today one or two were below par.Ref was poor, at the end clearly bloomers was taken out in the air and then the ref sin binned him for abuse, yet Gloucester were mouthing at him all the game. Still credit to Gloucester who played till the end.

Difficult to bring in rats with no game time so thanks to him for all the good memories.

Roll on Thursday.

Not to say it had any influence on the game I have never ever seen the Ref come onto the field during the warm up and then go and shake the opposing coaches hand and stand chatting to him,

Bloem and his linesmen were a disgrace,

We were poor though but I would like to see the penalty count. We were stood right at the side of Bloomfield and he was most certainly taken out.