Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham v All Golds (3pm Whitebank Stadium)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 m brooksy

m brooksy
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

Terribly disappointing day. Poor attitude from the kick off has cost us the chance to win the league and Gloucestershire fully deserved their draw. What the ref was doing on the Bloomfield incident is beyond explanation. To then compound that by sin binning him was disgraceful.

#22 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

The University deserved their draw today, looks like its the play offs again

#23 roughyed

roughyed
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

This all has a ring of familiarity about it ,do really well then fail get to the playoffs make some money get to the final then lose,I am really sorry to be saying this but I couldn't take another false dawn.The season seems to take the same course every year and people get fired up only to be shot down in flames this is why crowds are so sparse and before anyone says doom and gloom,I never missed a game in over 30 years and went to every Grand Final only to come home thinking how did they lose that.

#24 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

Our half back pairing of Ratty and Whitehead did not work, Ratty is clearly past his best possibly due to lack of game time this year, his kicking was dire, why try chips over the top rather than put the high bomb up (which as served us well).

Whitehead didn't gel again possibly lack of game time.

This wasn't the day to experiment, which we have no found out to our cost.

#25 Logic

Logic
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Of course it was a very disappointing afternoon for us all yesterday but none more than an extremely upset group of players who came in the club after the match. They were shell-shocked and determined to rectify matters by Thursday and then into the play-offs. Certainly the change at half back did not work, but I do wonder if there may have been an element of psychology in the players underestimating the standard of the opposition, despite what the coaching staff had told them. 

Anyway that was yesterday and in the past now. We we all know what the squad is capable of (well, those of us who have watched them regularly, do) and I have every confidence in them turning things around as early as Thursday. The important thing is, that we give this young team all the support and encouragement possible as we head to the play-offs.

#26 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Yes it was very dissapointing indeed...........thats it for another 2 years from me ........... :D . . .  No Tanoy  :polling: (  that you could hear anywhere apart from , I assume, in the "Main Stand" ) , No game plan , No tackling , No Goal Kicker, . . . .  and stil no improvement to the ground , in fact quite the contrary . . . .

Posted Image

#27 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

If this is Rats last season he should have come on just for the last few minutes to take a well deserved accolade. The lack of a top goal kicker cost us.

#28 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the words of wisdom Roughyedz. Yes we had an off day in what has been a great season for us. Tell you what please dont bother coming in 2 yrs either, we can do without folk like you. Out of interest is that the first game you have seen all season? If you had seen the improvement in a young and enthusiastic team over the season you would be entitled to criticise but im guessing you have just popped up to put your unwanted twopennorth in yet again. With a 3 day turnaround the team was always going to be tinkered with, personally i give the GAG's credit for digging in and getting the draw as was proved by the reception they got coming off the pitch by the Oldham supporters. You would have also found that the Oldham supporters were encouraging the players after the game not denigrating them for a poor performance.Lets go to the nearest and dearest with confidence and pride, win that and set ourselves up for the play offs if need be. Lets ave it!! OTID

#29 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

I heard Roughyedz behind me, quiet as a mouse when Oldham scored and cheering his head off when Gloucester scored their last try. I've been critical of the club (still am), I may have been indifferent to a result in the past, I may have applauded a good oppostion try but I have never, and never will, cheered on the opposition. Some people just turn up wanting the worst for the team, probably trying to justify their own non regular attendance. With so called friends like this, who needs enemies. 

#30 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

As disillusioned as I am (and have been for years) with the current management I cannot understand fans turning up and cheering the opposition.  Its crazy.

Its been refreshing watching these youngsters getting stuck in and playing as a team and I put Sundays "loss" partly down to S&S needing to rest players for Thursdays game, partly down to the recent weeks fixtures finally taking its toll and partly down to Gloucesters recent upturn in form.

Whilst Sunday was a massive disappointment you can bet the boys will be out to make amends on Thursday.

#31 thinboyfat

thinboyfat
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm with thecrab on this one, not enamored with the 'top dog' and have struggled to get to games for the past couple of seasons. All I can reiterate is from my last two visits NWC and GAG's the current group of players have pride in the shirt they wear. The proof to me was their reaction to dropping a point on Sunday and how genuinely, utterly disappointed they were with their performance, showed great character and honesty to me !!!

Forum's are for opinions, I may not agree with Roughyedz, however his post makes me question his loyalty to his HOME TOWN TEAM, that's presuming he originates from Oldham. I can appreciate how he feels about the 'top dog' however this season should be a positive for the performances on the field from a group of lads, that in my opinion are proud to wear an Oldham shirt.

As I stated earlier I haven't been to as many games as I could or should have but I know my genuine friends on here know my limitations, especially with the facilities at Whitebank. I came back this season to support the team after hearing about their exploits and the way they always give 100%. My discomfort for 80 minutes is nothing compared to the graft and obvious pain at times they go through in each game.

To finish all I can say is encourage these lads not discourage, they really do deserve OUR support and after talking to some of them on Sunday I'm pretty sure their more than up for the battle ahead with our nearest and dearest, and yes I'll be there cheering them on, I may applaud the opposition but I certainly wont be cheering them.

UP THE YEDS!!!!!!!

#32 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Roughyedz is no Oldham fan ....he only posts on here when Oldham have a bad result or when we get some bad news ... which is why we haven't heard from him for a while . Don't respond to his posts ...it only encourages him to post more rubbish ...just ignore him and hopefully he will get bored and move on to something else to moan at .
All the best to the team for this Thursday ...win or lose ...promotion or not .... this is the best team we've had for years and I just hope we can hold on to these players as they will only get better ... whatever Roughyedz and his ilk might think.

#33 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

ruffyed don't forget the coaches! :-)
we've had some cracking players over the last few seasons which IMO have been poorly coached into under performing teams.
Scott and Spanner have got the team fit, motivated and playing well, credit where it's due.

#34 AlwaysCru

AlwaysCru
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Just to echo the comments of thecrab... Given the finances and resources you had at the start of the season it'd be fair to say the coaching setup have done a tremendous job.... What they've achieved with a fairly young bunch of players Is of massive credit to Roughyeds

#35 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Couldn't agree more tc , as far as I am concerned Scott Naylor and Lee Spencer are as much a part of the team as the players and I hope they will also be here for years to come .

#36 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Never read so much rubbish in my life, im a RUGBY LEAGUE fan first and an Oldham fan second , I will always applaud a good effort and a good try no matter which team it is.Run it Off You never mentioned the good try from the Oldham Full back that deserved and received applause, Am I NOT allowed to appreciate the GAME regardless of which team is in possesion ? If as a fan you can not appreciate another teams effort you might as well go to Old Trafford with the rest of the cockneys. I went to the Final at Warrinton and stayed after the Oldham game and watched Fev v Fax and was verbally and physically threatened by Fev Folk for applauding a Fax try, 3 of us had to be escoreted to another part of the stadium, along with many hundreds of other people ( if you had botherd to stay If you went , and watch the match you would have seen this ) If thats what you want out of a RUGBY LEAGUE match then FEATHERSTONE is the place for you  . . . .   ................  The reason the club is in such dire straights is the fact that most of the people that go regularly are appathetic ............. just like the ones that dont go :sleep: ........... and by the way i suspect its illegal to hold a match without an adaquate tanoy , ie. emergency proceedure, not to mention informing visitors to the game what is happening and who has scored etc etc etc etc .......... but what the heck nobody gives a toss anyway ......... :shout: . . .  The same rules apply to ALL GROUNDS / teams in the League and Must be adheared to. I do hope that the tanoy is fixed before the next home game :shout:

P.S. nice to see that the ones that blame the ref are still in attendance and continue to shout "get em on side" :D

Edited by Roughyedz, 14 August 2013 - 11:49 AM.

Posted Image

#37 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

I see we are back to telling paying customers to stay away! Not a good idea. Following Roughyeds is not an exclusive club and should be open to all. I know it is frustrating to listen to those who do little but criticise but free speech is free speech. If your supportive comments are worthwhile the majority will be with you. And yes it's a pity to condemn a great bunch of lads who have come on in leaps and bounds this season but professional sportsmen have to learn to take the knocks.

As for Sunday we made a basic error in looking ahead to Thursday as though that were a more important game. To have really pressured North Wales we should have fielded the best possible side. I will be happy to apologise if that can be shown to be just what we did. We need to be careful in thinking the play-offs will be a formality. We've been down that road before! 

#38 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Oldham have had so many disappointments in playoff games, even one against the Cougars, that I sincerely hope they get promoted this year. The town and the club deserve some good tidings.

Remember Robert the Bruce. He got his rear kicked by us English 6 times but kept trying but eventually won once when it counted and became King of Scotland.

I follow baseball, specifically the Boston Red Sox and they went from 1918 to 2004 without winning a championship with half a dozen disastrous, horrifically unlucky losses in between but when they won, how sweet it was. 

Oldham have a great shot this year. Crusaders are in a class of their own but after that, only Rochdale and London Skolars have even a remote chance of beating Oldham in the playoffs. Get behind your team, if they get to the final, get to Leigh in numbers to support them. This could really, finally, be your year and, if it's not remember Robert the Bruce and the Boston Red Sox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users