Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Referee Unavailability

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

Subject: Games postponed due to referee unavailability

Due to referee unavailability this weekend, the following games have had to be postponed.

Egremont v Aspatria
Lowca v Flimby
Hensingham v Salterbeck

Referee Appointment Officer Bryan Scott has worked tirelessly to try and get these games covered, but unfortunately it has just been one of those weeks where several referees were unavailable due to work, weddings and holidays.

Hopefully, this is just a one off, I will let you know dates of rearranged games asap

Thanks for your support.

#2 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Subject: Games postponed due to referee unavailability

Due to referee unavailability this weekend, the following games have had to be postponed.
Egremont v Aspatria
Lowca v Flimby
Hensingham v Salterbeck
Referee Appointment Officer Bryan Scott has worked tirelessly to try and get these games covered, but unfortunately it has just been one of those weeks where several referees were unavailable due to work, weddings and holidays.
Hopefully, this is just a one off, I will let you know dates of rearranged games asap
Thanks for your support.

And?

#3 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

And?

We need more refs. Hard to do when the environment they operate in is so hostile.

I speak as someone who was reffing up to a 100 times a year and has now packed in. Some of the antics of parents and coaches at junior games I've been at this season has put me off even spectating.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#4 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Another political post to detract from one issue and give credibility to another .

The facts are we struggle to get games appointed in the summer months because of two main reasons
1. Summer holidays
2. RFL taking priority over community games .

Touch line behaviour may play a small part in some cases but most refs I know just ignore the touch lines and carry on regardless .

#5 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Another political post to detract from one issue and give credibility to another .

The facts are we struggle to get games appointed in the summer months because of two main reasons
1. Summer holidays
2. RFL taking priority over community games .

Touch line behaviour may play a small part in some cases but most refs I know just ignore the touch lines and carry on regardless .

Recruitment and retention is a massive problem. Yes, it is harder when everyone is playing the same season but the Midlands are struggling now to find refs and we've never played winter.

This was identified as a potential problem when the summer switch was mooted but the line was "we'll just increase recruitment". This hasn't happened.

#6 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

David Gent guaranteed it would not be a problem in a Y&J forum held at Leigh East pre the switch to summer , I said then in that meeting that he could not back up such a statement .
As always the community game the Major shareholders in the game play second fiddle and people wonder why many of us as so critical of the RFL ?

#7 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

David Gent guaranteed it would not be a problem in a Y&J forum held at Leigh East pre the switch to summer , I said then in that meeting that he could not back up such a statement .
As always the community game the Major shareholders in the game play second fiddle and people wonder why many of us as so critical of the RFL ?

I still stand by the fact that we need more refs. Even playing all year round, I saw refs in winter games who in my opinion were nowhere near good enough and the only way to improve things would be to increase numbers, increase competition and improve development. Part of this would be to actually implement RESPECT, rather than just having it on the back of Hi-Vis vests.

For what it's worth I don't particularly mind when the amateur Open Age game is played up North.

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

How would the RFL have coped if every team had switched to summer

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#9 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Recruitment and retention is a massive problem. Yes, it is harder when everyone is playing the same season but the Midlands are struggling now to find refs and we've never played winter.

This was identified as a potential problem when the summer switch was mooted but the line was "we'll just increase recruitment". This hasn't happened.

Been qualified for a few years never had any contact regarding anything but SRL fixtures. I know of a number of others who have have the same experience.

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

#10 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

I still stand by the fact that we need more refs. Even playing all year round, I saw refs in winter games who in my opinion were nowhere near good enough and the only way to improve things would be to increase numbers, increase competition and improve development. Part of this would be to actually implement RESPECT, rather than just having it on the back of Hi-Vis vests.

For what it's worth I don't particularly mind when the amateur Open Age game is played up North.

they might not have been good enough, but at least there was a ref there to get the game on

#11 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

How would the RFL have coped if every team had switched to summer

They wouldn't.

#12 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

they might not have been good enough, but at least there was a ref there to get the game on

True enough