Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley News Thurs 21st April 1994

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_T

Chris_T
  • Coach
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Just dug out the Batley News from the Thursday before the Donny promotion game. Nearly every page is about the Rugby, All the local business' wishing the lads well including the big boys kalon, Puma, & Carlinghow Club! Theres some cracking photos and Bio's of all the squad. looking at the Junior section Mark Barlow was MOM for the Cross U10's with Tommy Gallagher scoring 2 also. For Thornhill U11's Alex Bretherton scored with Danny Brough getting MOM scoring 5 tries. Dean Lawford was MOM for Moor U17's. Its great to be reminded of the Buzz around the town leading up the that game, theres mention of the Barrow game the week before when we took over 800 up, I remember being given a wooden Rattle on the coach up to make some noise, happy days, lets hope the new league structure might bring some of this excitement back.

6634beba-6e77-4a39-9de0-8379834e99ca_zps

#2 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

Some fantastic memories.

Albeit painful! The only game I've ever physically cried at! Who knows what would have happened had Grayson not had a brain fart and we'd have subsequently won that game....

In the 25 years I've been watching batley I've never seen the mount as full, and not sure i ever will again.

#3 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

I am not sure whether I have mentioned this before, but if you go to the Squash Club in Birstall, run by David Ward, there is the most fantastic range of Photos and other memorabilia on the walls. Mainly Batley, but also lots of local rugby and Great Britain stuff, as well as the odd  thing from his Leeds days. Well worth a visit. And lots of stuff related to the above match.

Edited by distantdog, 09 August 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#4 bulldogforlife

bulldogforlife
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

In the 25 years I've been watching batley I've never seen the mount as full, and not sure i ever will again.

I was only talking about that game the other week in pub. The guy I was talking to, told me that there was 15,000 in for that game! Said he had a mate that was well in at the time.

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,624 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

I was only talking about that game the other week in pub. The guy I was talking to, told me that there was 15,000 in for that game! Said he had a mate that was well in at the time.

15000 - I don't think so!

There was a good crowd that's for sure (I was one of them), but it wasn't actually rammed full and there was plenty of room to move about. A great match from a neutral's point of view with a heartbreaking outcome for your fans. Would you have won if Grayshon had stayed on the pitch?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Got to agree with BSJ on the crowd. I've not seen it as full since but I'd guesstimate about 7k perhaps. Not sure what the official figure was.

Hard to say in terms of the result, but personally I think we would have sneaked it had we had a full compliment of players. Felt like we were just about controlling things until that point, with Tommo looking a threat every time he had the ball. All ifs and buts of course though.

#7 phildog

phildog
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

Happy days when the Batley News looked like a newspaper, not the poor excuse it is now. As I posted yesterday they put a picture of Byron Smith above the caption telling us of Alex Rowe's re-signing. This isn't the first time they've made a mess recently, I have emailed the Sports Editor about it before but there's obviously not the local connection that there previously was. I've seen the video of that Doncaster match recently and still feel that the grayshon dismissal was at best arguable, there was no serious contact in the challenge, maybe the decision was made as an 'off the ball' incident but probably would have ended up 'on report' these days, and yes, I think Batley would have gone on to win. 

#8 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

Seem to remember a previous thread on here where someone (gary coyle?) indicated an 'unofficial' attendance of 9800 or something like that? I think the ground had an official capacity of 4500, so the gate was announced as 4500...

Edited by bromleybulldog, 10 August 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#9 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

The unofficial attendance from the horses mouth was 9700 and this figure came from bally

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#10 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

The official attendance was 4500, but there was easily double that there, every terrace was rammed with many unable to even get on the terraces to watch.

Great memories but very bittersweet.

Doubt we'll ever see anything like that occasion at the Mount again, which is a sad reflection of the way the game and society has gone around these parts in the last 20 years.

Where does the time go!
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#11 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 809 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

The unofficial attendance from the horses mouth was 9700 and this figure came from bally

correct spoke to bally other weekend and he said it was his proudest moment as chairman along with adding floodlights and the new stand and a few top signings but he also said if we had of gone up we would of been a top 12 divison one club and even a few seasons in sl

#12 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Would have been nice but then he left and left us with if memory serves me right we got trevor hobson ? Who got us mike kukati and paied him 1000 a month and promised we would pay is air fare home . We sold thomo and sighned was it darren appleby from keithley i beleve

#13 M.S

M.S
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

watched highlights from this game on you tube the other day,some excellent rugby played from both sides,one of the best games I i ever played in,think the extra man told in the end,great day  non the less though....and agreat night,atb,scotty

Edited by M.S, 10 August 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#14 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

One of my earliest ever RL memories is that match, I've never seen so many people in the same place ever.

When my uncle Brendan went over for a Doncaster try my Grandad celebrated so hard I nearly ended up on the pitch, after starting off sat on his shoulders!

Good times :D

Posted Image

#15 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

Its was my third ever match and remember radio leeds was on . They were talking to peter fox asking him was going to be listening to the wigan match . Due to northern could win the league if wigan lost he replied no im off to the mount to watch a proper game of rugby.

#16 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

What a game. I too was a newbie to the mount watching my mate piggy play. What an atmosphere. Great game too. The other stand out for me was Wigan at the mount in the cup when they were at their best and the exceptional try we scored. Big crowd then too

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#17 phildog

phildog
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

yes, it's sad that we can only attract 800 these days when we have a truly professional squad and attitude around the club. If the structure changes in 2015 and we manage to stay in the top echelons, might it change when we have a couple of former SL teams in the league? I think the club needs to get around schools and amateur clubs and start offering some deals to get youngsters in. There's such a huge local Asian population, with one or two of their youngsters starting to play the game a junior level. They have formed a full Asian cricket team over the wall, try and get some of them interested, get out in the street on matchdays with 50 free passes and try and tempt them in, they might then bring a mate next match. Once they spread the word around their community thqt might also lead to a few more sponsors, advertisers etc.. Good to hear that peter Fox mentioned a 'proper game' of rugby..I suppose that means when we had proper rules' like contested scrums, allowable body contact and other things that we've given away to Australian pressure!!

#18 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

yes, it's sad that we can only attract 800 these days when we have a truly professional squad and attitude around the club. If the structure changes in 2015 and we manage to stay in the top echelons, might it change when we have a couple of former SL teams in the league? I think the club needs to get around schools and amateur clubs and start offering some deals to get youngsters in. There's such a huge local Asian population, with one or two of their youngsters starting to play the game a junior level. They have formed a full Asian cricket team over the wall, try and get some of them interested, get out in the street on matchdays with 50 free passes and try and tempt them in, they might then bring a mate next match. Once they spread the word around their community thqt might also lead to a few more sponsors, advertisers etc.. Good to hear that peter Fox mentioned a 'proper game' of rugby..I suppose that means when we had proper rules' like contested scrums, allowable body contact and other things that we've given away to Australian pressure!!

A good post phildog.  If the crowds had built to match the improved form on the park in recent years then we would not be losing so many players at the end of this season. Oddly, with success has come falling gates.  I've seen very poor gates at Batley when we have had teams that could barely win a match but never such poor crowds with a relatively successful team. If we can't address this then the future looks far from rosy.  We have an excellent board, but building crowds needs to be their (and our) priority.