Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Share Issue

Good or Bad Idea

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

As this topic is been discussed/mentioned on the Swinton match thread, I thought, due to it's importance, I'd start this thread.

So, I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask, once again, the following question.

Are the monies raised from the share issue going to suppliment a greatly reduced playing budget due to the legal bills caused by the loss of the Woods court case?

I for one would like an understanding of what my hard earned  money will be used for before I comit to the the share issue.

#2 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Good luck getting a straight answer
Posted Image

#3 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

I think transparency from the club would go a great deal towards whether the share issue is a success or not.

#4 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Bent answer...

The hope is for 1000 x £250/yr = £250, 000

Woods' pie fund is significantly less than that and a one off.

It is possible that in the first year there may be meat and potato or chicken amd mushroom taken out of it due to the share money going into the club and the ginsters coming out of the club. But that isn't it's purpose.

The share issue wasn't created to pay for a steak bake - if you all think back, the club was founded on the idea of those shares with that exact price - all that's happened is John's started to feel abit stiffed by everyone who said they'd cough up but didn't. He first "mentioned" this idea to me about 3 years ago, and I doubt that was the first time it'd crossed his mind.

You have to remember that our players have always been paid, even though the pitch isn't watered, the locks on the bar doors get changed and Greggs do a pasty, crisps and coke meal deal.

The gate receipts don't even come close to paying the rent and the wages. I think at £14per head, the break even is around 1480 + a good bar takings assuming a loss. The shortfall come out of 1 family's pocket.

Yeah alright, he can be as big a pri ck as everyone on the terraces makes out, but there's no denying that he put a sh itlo ad plus assured a further sh itlo ad into the club before it started, then continued to put thousands a month into it for the last 11 years. With a 20 odd grand a month shortfall, it works out at alot more than those 14-quids-I-paid-to-get-in that so many have a whinge about.

I don't particularly feel comfortable knowing my own passion, my Sunday afternoon, the thing I put so much energy into depends on Sarah Guildford's inheritance. Forget the 6 yumyums for a quid, I just want a decent team out.

We almost have a top 6 team this year but its a little small -funnily enough, so is our salary cap. If we flogged those 1000 shares, that would be about 150k more we could spend on players, so we wouldnt have to rely on a bent knee, or a dodgy shoulder, or Jack Aldous being abit mental.

It is money that is the problem, not gt, not tansey, not the ref - money. Plain and simple.

The sausage rolls at 3 for a quid hasn't helped, but this is a problem as old as the club. In the beginning we were all like YAY now it's as if people feel owed a club. Thats not the way it is.

Think, pack of cigs or a pint n half or 3 cheese and onion pasties and an iced bun a week and we can be competing every game, running rings around most, hammering many - a few years time with a good ground we could be looking upwards instead of down.

#5 knightfever

knightfever
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

There can be no doubt that some of the money raised by a share issue will be used to pay the legal bill, be it directly or indirectly.

But this is an opportunity to change the downward spiral of our club.

I for one can't really afford to invest but if I want a club to follow, and be proud of, I can't afford not to.

It appears the the future is our hands.

#6 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

It's dead easy to get a straight answer if you really want to. Just do what I do and ask the club directly, moan all you like but it really is that simple. This has been an unofficial message board since 2004.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#7 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

It's dead easy to get a straight answer if you really want to. Just do what I do and ask the club directly, moan all you like but it really is that simple. This has been an unofficial message board since 2004.

Then I shall await Gavs reply with relish.

#8 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

That not what I said. Just ring or email the club direct. Go on, be brave. Dare you.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#9 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

I double dare you.
01904 767404 - ask for John.

#10 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

That not what I said. Just ring or email the club direct. Go on, be brave. Dare you.

I'll send an email and let you know the information I receive in the answer

Ps
As you're a wealth of information, could you please give me the correct email address

Edited by Shadow45, 11 August 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#11 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'll send an email and let you know the information I receive in the answer

An email gives them time to gather information in reply to you, but it also gives you an easy way out if you get completely owned.

I say ring.

It's time to park the camels.

#12 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

An email gives them time to gather information in reply to you, but it also gives you an easy way out if you get completely owned.

I say ring.

Why would I "get completely owned"? I'm only requesting information that should be already forthcoming bearing in mind the club wants the supporters money

#13 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Why would I "get completely owned"? I'm only requesting information that should be already forthcoming bearing in mind the club wants the supporters money

While you may only be "requesting information" as you say. Most, if not all, your posts seem to be only looking for negative.

It's time to park the camels.

#14 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Ring John. He doesn't respond to email, he's old school, prefers to speak to people.

#15 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

While you may only be "requesting information" as you say. Most, if not all, your posts seem to be only looking for negative.

Just wanting to know where my hard earned money would go should I choose to invest in the clubs share issue.

As for been negative, I call things as I see them and give my honest opinion

#16 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

Here you go, nothing has changed since I wrote this.

"...This sum combined with sponsors income, RFL grant and other funding projects will more than cover the shortfall from our reduced Sport England funding and enable long term financial stability and progress for the club, not only funding a successful team on the pitch, but also our fantastic community department off the pitch, ensuring that our Knights fans of the future get the best sporting start in life..."

Posted Image

#17 badger24

badger24
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Here you go, nothing has changed since I wrote this.

"...This sum combined with sponsors income, RFL grant and other funding projects will more than cover the shortfall from our reduced Sport England funding and enable long term financial stability and progress for the club, not only funding a successful team on the pitch, but also our fantastic community department off the pitch, ensuring that our Knights fans of the future get the best sporting start in life..."

Can I just ask is this to cover what we have lost or is it to improve the squad ?
Not been negative but just how much have we lost from sports England ?
It's a great idea if it is to improve the finances not just to cover monies lost through revenue .
The club need to be transparent with finances before people invest and possibly lose money . After all it's a gamble like any share scheme .

Not been negative before people start with smart comments .

#18 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

Every penny raised by the share issue will go to making York City Knights the best club it possibly can be in every single department, both on and off the field.

Thats all there is to say really.

Posted Image

#19 WRknight

WRknight
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

I have thought long and hard about this. As I have stated on here I really don't think that the team this year has been anywhere near good enough, but rather than continue to moan and expect someone else to do something about it, I am going to sign up for the share issue. Can I afford it, just about, can I afford not to do it NOT IF I DON'T WANT THE CLUB TO BE IN THE SAME POSITION YEAR AFTER YEAR.

Join me if you can, and lets make this club and the team we put out on the field, the best it can be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users