Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The steam locomotive thread

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

Been on the SVR several times. Excellent day out, and very easy to get to. Probably my favourite standard gauge heritage line. (For narrow gauge, it has to be the Festiniog). I haven't been to the Bluebell or the Great Central yet, though.

#22 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Yesterday was the anniversary of the last mainline timetabled BR steam journey apparently.  Oliver Cromwell running between Manchester and Carlisle.

I'll be taking the two littler gingers to see the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway over the weekend.

Pulled by one of their blinkin' diesels on the train to Dungeness!  But, no matter, got chance to see a few in action in and around New Romney.  Here's good old Winston Churchill:

9530467483_b46fcd47c1_c.jpg
Winston Churchill by Jon Smalldon, on Flickr

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#23 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hmmm. The engine is  red black and yellow; the coaches are blue and yellow.

As usual, we are well in front of them, and they are hanging on.

;) :tongue:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

I went on the Severn Valley Railway yesterday as a result of this thread. Had a great day, It wasn't all good as we saw plenty of people like gingerjon hanging round at the rn of the platforms taking pictures.

#25 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Of course, not all steam locos were large. Over the last 12 months, I've been on the NYM Railway to re-live numerous trips as a kid, KWVR as it's local to me so was handy to take my neice & nephew on a Santa Special, then on the Talylln Railway recently on holiday in Wales. The last was by far the best of the heritage lines as it gave some spectacular views, rather than just a journey up a valley through a long cutting! Plus of course, some of the engines were the inspiration for some of the characters in Thomas the Tank Engine. :D

9431434074_e059c7faef_z.jpg
Douglas by 77gazza, on Flickr

9431437808_d2515e2b4a_z.jpg
Edward Thomas by 77gazza, on Flickr

9428638191_c3d7e01cbb_z.jpg
Tom Rolf by 77gazza, on Flickr

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#26 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Pulled by one of their blinkin' diesels on the train to Dungeness!  But, no matter, got chance to see a few in action in and around New Romney.  Here's good old Winston Churchill:

9530467483_b46fcd47c1_c.jpg
Winston Churchill by Jon Smalldon, on Flickr

TBH I'd rather see, smell and hear than be on a train pulled by one, when you may as well be pulled by diesel or electric. Of course if everyone thought like me there'd be no steam specials and nothing for me to watch! Great picture

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#27 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

TBH I'd rather see, smell and hear than be on a train pulled by one, when you may as well be pulled by diesel or electric. Of course if everyone thought like me there'd be no steam specials and nothing for me to watch! Great picture

Thanks.  My first memories of the RHDR are as you say - being dragged by my dad to watch and take pictures of the trains but never actually travel on one!

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users