Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gary Chambers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mike the lion

mike the lion
  • Players
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

A good article in League Express this week by Gareth Walker about the Championship coaches(managers) voting for this year Coach of the Year.

Gareth points out that although the top clubs may well dominate most votes he thinks Gary Chambers should be considered also in view of the circustances with D/R disrupting team selection and performances when he took over from Steve Mac.

I cannot help feeling though that the bank of 5 who objected to our use of D/R will discriminate against Gary for our use of D/R although Gary did not create this situation and has tried to build his own squad mid season. 

#2 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

Yes a good piece and in fairness following the upturn in our fortunes, warranted.

#3 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

Very good article. Although bound to be highly unpopular because of its positivity

#4 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Contrary to popular belief, rather than be the puppet master of Tony Smith, he has brought in players which has decreased our dependancy on D/R players and engineered some great results.
For this alone, take a bow GC.....

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#5 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

And he is looking for more players for next season.

#6 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

If we avoid relegation then most will shout GC's praises - if we get relegated - then most will call for his removal..............my personal view to the recent success / improvement is that the catalyst has been a relatively stable squad - which was not the case up to say 6 weeks ago.............

#7 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

I think Gary has done enough to prove us wrong. Chopping and changing coaches is as bad as chopping and changing the team
He has brought in good players and the last three performances have shown a consistency not seen for a long time
Its amazing that when bad things are going on people love to heap on the criticism . Turn things around and they aee never there to praise.

#8 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Sport is very fickle! A big defeat at Doncaster and it will change again,such is life.Anything that ends the dependency on WarringtonWolves is a massive step forward in my book!

#9 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

It is fickle Dave but there is a massive tendency to dwell on the bad throughout rugby league.
The major talking point after our victory over York was the crowd. Not the fact that the overwhelming number of players were our own. Our superb defence. Our awesome tries.

#10 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Maybe the sensible thing to do is to get behind the team for the next 3 games then review the season when it's finished

Edited by steve wild, 13 August 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#11 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

It is fickle Dave but there is a massive tendency to dwell on the bad throughout rugby league.
The major talking point after our victory over York was the crowd. Not the fact that the overwhelming number of players were our own. Our superb defence. Our awesome tries.

Free TV = smaller crowds, right?
Posted Image

#12 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

After the Keighley game, I was very vocal in my criticism of GC and politely asked that if he read these boards he walk away. However the run of games weve just had has shown that in my eyes with a stable squad we have been playing good rugby (most of the time).

I now think that relegated or not he should get another chance, to assemble his OWN squad and get a full pre-season. And il leave it till 3/4 games in next year before I make any more remarks on his position.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#13 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

Well put Furryenzo. I think there's a few on here who should follow your example!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#14 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

Yes let's hope he can assemble his own squad by the time pre season training commences.

#15 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Gary is very focused on having his own players and over the last month it has shown that with a settled side the lads are starting to gel on the field and getting a better understanding of each others game. Samir & James have both grabbed their chances and are playing some great rugby. I know Gary is always looking for more players and if they fit the bill i am sure he will bring them in. I know the man at Old Trafford got off to an iffy start all those years ago but look where he took them in the end. Get behind Gary and the team over these last two games and see where we end up with our destiny in our own hands !

Riggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users