Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Applegarth signs on the dotted line

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Best signing so far, IMO!!

Influential utility-forward Mark Applegarth is the latest Bulldog to pledge his allegiance to the club in 2014. www.batleybulldogs.co.uk caught up with our latest recruit on Monday.

Despite being hampered by injury for much of the season, Mark Applegarth will be seen as a high-profile capture for next season, and the forward seemed delighted with the arrangement when we caught up with him. "It was a no brainer really, I actually signed a deal a few weeks ago. I've loved every minute since I've been at Batley. The fans are first class and always get behind the boys, the lads are top notch and the coaching set up is first class - the club have really looked after me with my injuries this year and that means a lot to you as a player. I wanted to repay some of the loyalty the club has shown in me.

"I'm happy here, it's a great club to be at and I don't believe I would get better coaching anywhere else at this level. I've known John a long time and like his method of coaching ... he keeps developing me as a player. I believe at Batley we have one of the best coaching and back room teams in this league. The boys are first class too, its a good mix of youth and experience and everyone pushes each other in training which can only be good for the club as everyone is busting a gut to be in the 17."

Despite the boost of re-signing to the club, Applegarth revealed that it has been a frustrating year for him due to injury. "This year has been horrible for me personally on the injury front but that's part and parcel of the game. The main thing is just to keep positive and use the injury to work on some weaknesses and come back fitter, faster and stronger. I came back a few weeks too early against Workington and tweaked my knee - it was frustrating as I couldn't play how I'm used to but it's horrible sat on the sidelines watching your team mates losing, you just want to be out there helping anyway you can. Hopefully I'll make it back before the end of the regular season and then it's a case of working hard to get my spot back in the team."

The Bulldogs recent form has obviously not escaped the notice of the squad as our latest signing confirmed: "Yes, we went through a bit of a rough patch these last few weeks but the main thing is everybody stuck together. You don't just turn into bad players overnight. It was just a case of keep working hard and grinding out that win. It could be a blessing in disguise - the squad in place this year is more than capable of winning the final this year. It's just a matter of taking it week by week and not looking too far ahead and building on each performance and peaking at the right time."

Finally, Applegarth had the following message for the Bulldogs faithful ahead of the season run-in: "Yeah, the fans have been great with me and for that I'd like to say thank you, I try to give my all every time I pull on the shirt and appreciate people paying their hard earned money to come and support the club and the lads. As for a message, just to stick with us like they are really. Hopefully we can do ourselves and the club justice coming into the end of the season and the play offs. Thanks for the support, it doesn't go unnoticed!"

#2 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

Tremendous. As I said before, he would have been one of my first signings, and I am not sure we have seen the best of him yet.

#3 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

My favourite player at the club. 100% commitment and effort. You can tell he loves it here; very pleased he's staying on.

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

A real talent and a great player to watch. Hope he has a full season next year as he makes a difference

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#5 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

Excellent news.

One of my favourites too, a real 100% player and terrified defender. We are a better team with Mark on the field.

#6 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

Strange that after all the tripe that Eddie Rombo implied that we are signing up some of our best players and they don't seem to have signed any of theirs. One wonders if they will miss the bus again or have they spent it all on concrete?

#7 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

I just think it's amazing how quickly things can turn around . . . . from the depths of despair three weeks ago. It's amazing what a simple announcement of a few signings will do.

#8 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

another great singing for us.am sure theres plenty to come for next year from mark,if we sign a few more with his sentiments were well sorted for 2014. bit a pride when he pulls a shirt on works for me everytime.good work bod.??is george next. :pickeat:

#9 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Terrific player, hard worker, top tackler. great signing for the Bulldogs. Hope he makes it back for the play offs anybody know if he will ? 

#10 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Pin this up on the dressing room wall.Let everyone see it and lets get a reaction starting with the Halifax game.

Great player great club man.Love the guy and his attitude to the club!!!!! 

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,058 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

Strange that after all the tripe that Eddie Rombo implied that we are signing up some of our best players and they don't seem to have signed any of theirs. One wonders if they will miss the bus again or have they spent it all on concrete?

Why does good news for your club have to lead to sniping at Dewsbury?

I thought that you were complaining about our supporters doing the same thing only a few weeks ago. Just enjoy your good news without the bitterness can't you?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

I thought that you were complaining about our supporters doing the same thing only a few weeks ago. Just enjoy your good news without the bitterness can't you?

Piggy's Mate sponsored by McCains.

#13 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hes like a turbo charged Mick Cameron, and we all know how good he was! - Weve really missed him this season with him being injured.

A fully fit Applegarth is one of the best forwards in the division, and im over the moon hes signed up for next year.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#14 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

I thought that you were complaining about our supporters doing the same thing only a few weeks ago. Just enjoy your good n you?

On our own forum, why not? Was it not certain rams fans who were on here stating that the dogs would lose all our top players and we had no money to sign or pay players. I am simply pointing out that they were wrong and that we can celebrate this fact on the Batley Forum whilst once again the Rams are playing catch-up with their nearest rivals!

#15 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

Well suited he's signed back on, must agree he would have been at the top of my "must re-sign" list.

I read his blog a few weeks back and it's well worth a read http://www.markapple...com/blog-1.html it says a lot about the guy, a "110% man" and a true professional. 

Edited by DOGFATHER, 13 August 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#16 olddoggy

olddoggy
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

I agree absolutely BSJ, but I think what you are seeing is not simply sniping at Rams, as a club and a set of fans, but more a response to the endless vitriol emanating from that uber-moron Eddie Rombo.   I hope to God he meant it when he promised to stay away from our site forever.  I love banter, but I also despise the malice that has crept into RL fans' exchanges over recent years.  Leave it to the empty-headed soccer gang; let's keep hold of the old-fashioned family values for which our sport is famous.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users