Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Any ideas ...

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

...how we can swell the attendance for the Leigh game? We could do with a big atmosphere to peg the Leythers back ...

#2 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

curtain raiser game would work well with open age or ladys game,we used to get 1500 for a thornhill v moor game  in local cups years back up at mount.  free pie and peas might help,or better still hog roast done outside on grass,couple a quid for a sarnie with stuffing. and free moonshine. :bb:

#3 Rab C

Rab C
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

Disagree with the above. Why pay for outside catering when food counter up at Mount already does a sterling job??

However, maybe the club could Hand out free child tickets at the holiday camps held up at Batley Sports & Tennis Centre. (Free child when accompanied by a paying adult). Local Amateur junior games on at Half time?

#4 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

First of all it would help if we won at Halifax, Then a huge amount of publicity around the town getting the message out there. And as above, using the juniors to get adults in. Half - time entertainment. What happened to bands playing around the back, it might keep people in that area for longer and therefore buying more beers and food.

Agree with Rab C above. Don't give anything away for free like food etc as that's what keeps us going I reckon.

#5 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Get the Wakefield wildcat dolls on , as pre match entertainment

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

As someone's already mentioned, the key to a decent crowd is a win at Halifax on Sunday. We have a hard core fan base, but there are also quite a large number of - ahem, 'floaters' who turn up depending on our form. We've probably lost around 100-200 fairweather fans as a result of the downturn in form we suffered, and it needs a decent run (which may be underway) and a victory over a top 4 team to attract them back. Aside from that, an attractive booze offer always helps to attract extra numbers. Tenner admission, quid a bottle? Sounds simplistic
and unimaginative, but it'd probably guarantee an increased attendance - at least to an extent.

Edited by TheTerminator, 12 August 2013 - 11:43 PM.

Posted Image

#7 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

Kids in for free. Every game. Can't see a reason not to.

It causes us to go the The Giants rather than Leeds, Bradford or Wakefield when we fancy a super league fix.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#8 Deputy Dog

Deputy Dog
  • Coach
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

As this game is due to be played on Thursday 22nd, do we actually know if this is going to be the case. I know some fixtures have been moved to Wednesday nights recently as Sky seem to show Super League games at random lately and Thursdays seem to be the flavour of the month.

#9 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

It's a difficult one and a topic that has been discussed many times on this board previously, (and seemingly to no avail.) I think if we are just looking to get a short term increase for the Leigh match, we should go down the route of special offers, beer and reduced admission maybe alongside children's matches before and at half time. How about a pre-match tournament of junior rugby for four local teams with the final at half time? Four kids teams might equal a significant number of parents, and make sure whether they win or lose they all go away with some 'Bulldog' merchandise.

In the long term we have to get into the sporting consciousness of the sporting public. This means heightening awareness of our existence in the town and nearby areas. Becoming more visible both physically and in terms of awareness.

I don't believe we are very good at building on our successes, which is why I mentioned winning at Halifax would be a great start. Then the next game could be billed as even more important for the play-offs. In an ideal world I think we should have a presence in the town centre selling merchandise, though I understand that may not be cost effective (though a functioning shop paying very little rent is better than a derelict shop paying none in my opinion.) We could do with more posters etc located around town. I know this is a small returns strategy but we need to be in people's faces constantly.

Finally, despite having said this, we do need people to do this. The board seem to do an immense amount of work and would find it hard i am sure to increase their workload for the club. I remember a few years ago walking the mean streets of Heckmondwike and Cleckheaton with my young son delivering posters to shops and pubs just to advertise the season ticket prices i think. Not sure how successful it was but I sure felt that I was making a contribution.

Edited by distantdog, 13 August 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#10 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

As crazy as it sounds, offer free entry or 2 for 1 entry.

Would encourage more fans to travel, they'll all need feeding and watering so we'd make on that.

Would also encourage a few of the stay aways to venture up.

Most of our fans have season tickets anyway, so what have we to lose?
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#11 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

We'll give you plenty of shoutout's on LoveRugbyLeague.com to promote the game too, it should be a cracker!

Posted Image

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

As this game is due to be played on Thursday 22nd, do we actually know if this is going to be the case. I know some fixtures have been moved to Wednesday nights recently as Sky seem to show Super League games at random lately and Thursdays seem to be the flavour of the month.

This day should be clear. Most of the Championship and Championship1 matches are scheduled for Thursday that week as the Challenge Cup final is being played on Saturday. Hence there are no SL fixtures that weekend.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Disagree with the above. Why pay for outside catering when food counter up at Mount already does a sterling job??

However, maybe the club could Hand out free child tickets at the holiday camps held up at Batley Sports & Tennis Centre. (Free child when accompanied by a paying adult). Local Amateur junior games on at Half time?

?? who mentioned outside catering.  the ladys do the best snap going i reckon, massive pan a peas and a few extra pies, anyone remember ques at old pie n pea hut a lot a years back.even give a voucher out with a round a drinks,hog roast aint hard to do and would have em queing like they were at andys BBQ other week so deffo no need to farm the food out.

a simple thing would be to give everyone coming in who buys a golden gamble a raffle ticket and maybe have 3 winners all grabbing a signed shirt at half time, that would up the golden gamble win and up the ££££ intake too. like your idea of free kids with adults as they are the future of the club,pityfull crowds last few years and needs a long term fix not a one game fix.

#14 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

I like Terminators idea of a flat £10 entrance fee for this match; well advertised beforehand. 

#15 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

?? who mentioned outside catering. the ladys do the best snap going i reckon, massive pan a peas and a few extra pies, anyone remember ques at old pie n pea hut a lot a years back.even give a voucher out with a round a drinks,hog roast aint hard to do and would have em queing like they were at andys BBQ other week so deffo no need to farm the food out.
a simple thing would be to give everyone coming in who buys a golden gamble a raffle ticket and maybe have 3 winners all grabbing a signed shirt at half time, that would up the golden gamble win and up the ££££ intake too. like your idea of free kids with adults as they are the future of the club,pityfull crowds last few years and needs a long term fix not a one game fix.

Try as I might, I really cant't see how a hog roast is going to attract people to an RL game. A player of the year event or similar - maybe, but a match itself? Can't really see it?

Edited by TheTerminator, 13 August 2013 - 05:03 PM.

Posted Image

#16 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Posters - everywhere. The game just needs shouting about. I don't just mean the Leigh game either. Every home game should be treated this way. Also free entry for u16's would be great for the future.

#17 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

I suppose the first job is to get on all the SL forums and advertise the £5 entrance for every SL season ticket holder. The only place I have seen this advertised is in the gents in the stand behind the posts.

Maybe offering a similar deal to all members of all the local amateur teams and all local firms' employees.

I still cannot fathom out whether we will be at home in the playoffs, and without wishing to be a damp squib in all this. Surely it might be better to do this when we have more than 1 home game left, maybe concentrating our efforts to build support before the start of next season? 

Maybe a proper tie up with all the local SL clubs, (especially those who play on a Friday or Saturday) perhaps the club could offer to help them to shift more season tickets by advertising one of the benefits of buying e.g. a Huddersfield season ticket, will be reduced admission to all Batley home games? 

I know it will upset some on here, I can already hear the cries of well why should I buy a season ticket for Batley if I can buy one for Huddersfield and get in for a fiver at Batley etc. etc. but if we could attract even 1% of the fans from the Giants, Rhino's, Bulls and Wildcats it would not only make the atmosphere better but it would increase the coffers significantly.

It would also be worth contacting the local football clubs, Leeds Utd and Bradford City offer them the same deal, when all said and done, our season takes place in the majority of the football off season, just maybe some of there fans are at a loose end at the weekend when the football isn't on.

It would also be a very good idea to offer family tickets 2 adults and up to 4 kids for £20, it would at least make it cheaper than a trip to the cinema.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 13 August 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#18 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Try as I might, I really cant't see how a hog roast is going to attract people to an RL game. A player of the year event or similar - maybe, but a match itself? Can't really see it?

yep your right, i were thinking more a looking after the fans we have and maybe earning a few quid extra for the club with a few pork n stuffing sarnies.but they will buy the food anyways i suppose. buy one beer get one free will do me..lol. just looking forward to the game and i do think we will win it and our halifax game if we play anything like last game.aint a clue how to boost the fans long term, our first game when we were champions only had 920 turn up against leigh,

#19 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

Just an observation...Why not advertise the game on the club website now ?

#20 M.S

M.S
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

would be good for the club to try and advertise all games and not just this one in the town centre somehow,we don't seem to have any identity in the town at all.to an outsider you woudnt know a rugby league team existed in batley at all