Any ideas ...

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

would be good for the club to try and advertise all games and not just this one in the town centre somehow,we don't seem to have any identity in the town at all.to an outsider you woudnt know a rugby league team existed in batley at all

On all the approach roads into Batley there are the large metal signs, somewhat faded now, that were put up I believe with City Challenge money. Can we not attach a sign to these saying "home of Batley Bulldogs"?

#22 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

On all the approach roads into Batley there are the large metal signs, somewhat faded now, that were put up I believe with City Challenge money. Can we not attach a sign to these saying "home of Batley Bulldogs"?

Absolutely no chance of that, Fred. Kirklees would probably charge us rent on their property.

Posted Image

#23 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 638 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Absolutely no chance of that, Fred. Kirklees would probably charge us rent on their property.

yes....and the wingless Bat at Hick lane lights would have been fixed long ago.....had the statue been in Huddersfield..

on second thoughts....maybe that statue would be a good place to advertise the matches....

batrory.jpg here is the bloke breaking it....

Edited by RPH, 14 August 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#24 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

Ahh the bat monstosity.I`d forgotten it was there, now there`s a novel idea how to waste money!!

As much as I love all the above ideas, I`m not sure many if any will actually work. Reducing entry price for a league game will enrage season ticket holders, who at present only get 2 games free per season. Season ticket holder bring a friend for free is OK as it costs nothing. Likewise making drinks cheap on a night game could be counter productive if the club sells a thousand pints at £3, thats obviously £3000, if it was at a £1 a pint they would have to sell 3000 pints in pretty much the same amount of time just to break even and would need more staff for longer-insane.

I`m not sure many SL fans really give a monkeys f### about our division and it wouldn`t matter if it was free. Advertising this properly could be quite expensive too. However I would like to see a divisional season ticket, where possibly teams could agree on a price and you could get into any Championship game, with teams receiving the amount they have sold.

Hog roasts aren`t doing it for me, especially at a tenner a piece.

Posters have very limited impact on sales, as people are too lazy to read them by and large. Forget any help from the council-they just are not interested in us.

I think some ides are worth entertaining, as PKK stated children must be allowed into the ground for nothing. The average age of our support is scarily old and we are going to die a slow painful death if we continue like this and fail to attract the local kids and this includes the asian population (as hard as it may be).  If the whole make up of the community do not become involved I don`t see how teams like Batley, Dewsbury, Olham etc can hope to survive in the long term. It is very sad but do people really expect to see us surviving at this level in 20 or 30 years time?

#25 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Yep U16 in free for me too. I also like the idea that dewsbury had of opening a squad builder gate and charging say £18 with the £3 going to Bissa. Perhaps you get a raffle ticket everytime you go through and at the end of the season you win 25% of the money raised through this gate?

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#26 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 638 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

£18 ?....how much ?.....splutter....

Sorry..I cannot see the Asian population supporting a Batley team....when the Batley team does not include a Asian/muslim player...

#27 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Sorry..I cannot see the Asian population supporting a Batley team....when the Batley team does not include a Asian/muslim player...

Might be an idea to try to attract members of the Polish/Eastern European population to Rugby League .I agree with RPH in regards to the Asian population around Mount Pleasant not supporting Batley or Rugby League. 

Edited by bulldogtrev, 15 August 2013 - 05:08 PM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#28 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Might be an idea to try to attract members of the Polish/Eastern European population to Rugby League .I agree with RPH in regards to the Asian population around Mount Pleasant not supporting Batley or Rugby League. 

Agree about attracting Polish/eastern European population  as we have had quite a few play for the Ravens and they absolutely love the game and i'm sure if we weren't 2 hrs drive away ,they would come up to watch games.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#29 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

Agree about attracting Polish/eastern European population as we have had quite a few play for the Ravens and they absolutely love the game and i'm sure if we weren't 2 hrs drive away ,they would come up to watch games.

I agree, the Poles would probably love the game if they were introduced to it. Maybe some rugby camps for kids incorporating English language lessons would be a start? Not sure of the logistics or how it could be set-up to be 'inclusive', however maybe some food for thought?

Posted Image

#30 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

#31 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

And that is why we fail.

#32 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

I agree, the Poles would probably love the game if they were introduced to it. Maybe some rugby camps for kids incorporating English language lessons would be a start? Not sure of the logistics or how it could be set-up to be 'inclusive', however maybe some food for thought?

Would the Slavic people be interested? I don't think so and I also think the cost implications would put them off, or the fact they are usually at work all hours including Sundays at 2pm.

Getting kids involved, no matter what colour or creed is of vast importance though. It could work.

#33 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

And that is why we fail.

Sorry, why is this "why we fail"?

#34 paulregan

paulregan
  • Facebook
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

it would be interesting to see how many would come thro the turnstiles if we had a FREE entrance match with maximum publicity.

#35 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Would it make a difference if they did. I remember the question being posed at Yorkshire county cricket club twenty years ago as to why the county wasn't producing Asian cricketers, despite their love of the game, and of course the reason was that they preferred to play in their own leagues and therefore were never "spotted" by the club scouts. The club addressed this by going into schools, looking at the local Asian leagues etc. and started to uncover talent  - some of whom have gone on to represent their country. Having been to  Yorkshire matches over the last few years though, I'd say, looking round, the support base hasn't changed one jot - horses to water and all that.

#36 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 638 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Would it make a difference if they did. I remember the question being posed at Yorkshire county cricket club twenty years ago as to why the county wasn't producing Asian cricketers, despite their love of the game, and of course the reason was that they preferred to play in their own leagues and therefore were never "spotted" by the club scouts. The club addressed this by going into schools, looking at the local Asian leagues etc. and started to uncover talent  - some of whom have gone on to represent their country. Having been to  Yorkshire matches over the last few years though, I'd say, looking round, the support base hasn't changed one jot - horses to water and all that.

So basically they wont spend brass at the Batley Bulldogs....and we should give up on trying to entice the 5,000 plus locals around mount pleasant to attend matches.....

and even with the temptation of free tickets they will not swell the coffers and buy merchandise or Alcohol....?

Edited by RPH, 16 August 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#37 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

And that is why we fail.

You would never get a asian playing RL they may get injured and have to take time off work. :haha:

#38 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

So basically they wont spend brass at the Batley Bulldogs....and we should give up on trying to entice the 5,000 plus locals around mount pleasant to attend matches.....

and even with the temptation of free tickets they will not swell the coffers and buy merchandise or Alcohol....?

Yes give up it will never happen i have been coming 50+ years and have never seen more than a handfull at games in all that time.  Give them free tickets and they probably would try and sell them at the top of the road. Being politically correct and saying the right things will not change reallity.  Oh forgot alchohol they dont drink do they ?.  

Edited by greavesy, 16 August 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#39 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,291 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

Yes give up it will never happen i have been coming 50+ years and have never seen more than a handfull at games in all that time.  Give them free tickets and they probably would try and sell them at the top of the road. Being politically correct and saying the right things will not change reallity.  Oh forgot alchohol they dont drink do they ?.  

Wow!!

This is the man who criticises my posts. Batley must be so proud!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#40 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

Wow!!

This is the man who criticises my posts. Batley must be so proud!

I think we need to be aware that we have at least one young Asian supporter who attends virtually every home and away game, and who in all likelihood accesses this forum on a regular basis. Some of the posts on this thread probably make quite uncomfortable reading for him.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users