Any ideas ...

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

Yes give up it will never happen i have been coming 50+ years and have never seen more than a handfull at games in all that time.  Give them free tickets and they probably would try and sell them at the top of the road. Being politically correct and saying the right things will not change reallity.  Oh forgot alchohol they dont drink do they ?.  

You may be right in saying that we will never attract the local Asian population; but if we are not careful it may become a self fulfilling prophecy.  Whoever would have thought that a local Asian business man would save a Super League Club from going down the pan? 

I'm sure that I have read on here that an increasing number of Asian youngsters are playing the sport.  We have only had a few Asian players in years gone by at Batley, but this may not be the case in the future.

The top and bottom of it seems to me that you either dismiss a growing portion of the town as potential supporters or you try and attract them to the game. It may not succeed, it may indeed be a waste of effort, but the club is likely to go down the pan if we cannot attract what are now the 'locals'. 

By the way, as far as alcohol is concerned the vast majority of Asians in this area are TT because they are Muslims, not because they are Asians.  An earlier generation of Batley supporters will have contained quite a few who were TT because of their Methodist beliefs. 

A last comment, if I may.  When I moved back up North many years ago and was introduced to RL by my Uncle one of the things that attracted me to the game was the friendliness on the terraces.  Without wishing to make you feel self conscious one of the friendliest smiles still seen up at the Mount is yours.  I would hope that any Asian person tempted to visit the Mount would feel the same warmth and friendliness that I experienced all those years ago.

#42 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Not just him!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#43 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Wow!!

This is the man who criticises my posts. Batley must be so proud!

Hey i say it as it is and without trying to bore people with being polically correct.Facts are facts why pretend otherwise. If the future of Batley RL is dependent of atracting asian supporters we may as well fold it will not happen !   You must have a dissapointing life as a Dewsbury fan to spend so much time scanning our board waiting to give us the benefit of your superior interlect. And your sending me to sleep again ZZZZZZzzzzzzz.

Edited by greavesy, 16 August 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#44 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

I think we need to be aware that we have at least one young Asian supporter who attends virtually every home and away game, and who in all likelihood accesses this forum on a regular basis. Some of the posts on this thread probably make quite uncomfortable reading for him.

1 out of how many thousands . Sorry terminater i accept  your point and i am not having a go at the lad and i am pleased he comes but around Mount Pleasant for maybe a mile radius we have very little support. My point being it will not change.  

#45 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

You may be right in saying that we will never attract the local Asian population; but if we are not careful it may become a self fulfilling prophecy.  Whoever would have thought that a local Asian business man would save a Super League Club from going down the pan? 

I'm sure that I have read on here that an increasing number of Asian youngsters are playing the sport.  We have only had a few Asian players in years gone by at Batley, but this may not be the case in the future.

The top and bottom of it seems to me that you either dismiss a growing portion of the town as potential supporters or you try and attract them to the game. It may not succeed, it may indeed be a waste of effort, but the club is likely to go down the pan if we cannot attract what are now the 'locals'. 

By the way, as far as alcohol is concerned the vast majority of Asians in this area are TT because they are Muslims, not because they are Asians.  An earlier generation of Batley supporters will have contained quite a few who were TT because of their Methodist beliefs. 

A last comment, if I may.  When I moved back up North many years ago and was introduced to RL by my Uncle one of the things that attracted me to the game was the friendliness on the terraces.  Without wishing to make you feel self conscious one of the friendliest smiles still seen up at the Mount is yours.  I would hope that any Asian person tempted to visit the Mount would feel the same warmth and friendliness that I experienced all those years ago.

Thanks for that Bi11 i agree with what you have to say and i was out of order with the Alchohol quip. i hope what you say is correct and we can attract what is definately going to be the majority in terms of the population in Batley. If i am right the club dies a slow death. I sincerely hope you are right and things change.

#46 dogga

dogga
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

the asian lad is a really nice lad and he travels all the way from wyke
union whats that?

#47 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

No doubt that we have a problem- as many posters have already said- support is ageing, reducing year by year and in 20 years as one poster said we may not have a team to support at either professional or semi professional level. Offering a free pint of beer is not going to greatly alter the demographics of our suppport either I'm afraid. So, we have to do something. Clearly there are two main areas where we need to concentrate- children and (sorry to upset some posters) the Asian population. There are things we can do:
.Suggest we offer a full time internship (unpaid) for 6 months to a graduate in Media studies to work on setting up schools programs, Asian outreach programs, twitter and Facebook actions. Offer to pay expenses. Work experience of this type is becoming more the norm for young people.
.Develop sponsorship to cover costs of this with youth market consumer companies eg Red Bull, Coke, Pepsi, Irn Bru or Ben Shaw's.
. Visit all local schools from primary up to 16 years. Offer free season tickets to all children. Get a printed ticket like the BISSA fixture list, clear colourful, easy to read and relatively cheap- but sponsored by one of above.
.Make the Mount a destination for children- so there has to be something other than just the rugby . Even if it's only face painting for the younger ones or regular bouncy castles etc. Make it a 'Meet at the Mount' destination for the older children.We would need a separate bar/club area not populated by aging beer drinkers (me included). Again there are costs here but we have to look for a different type of sponsor to those we traditionally have. Red Bull etc as above
.Re the Asians, the real problem is that the club knows too little about them. They are interested in sport (see Bradford City support, Bradford Bulls owner, Batley cricket club) but what else do we know?
. Suggest the club have a meeting with the manager of Tesco in town and discuss what the Asians spend their discretionary income on. It won' be alcohol but we could be surprised. Whatever the result of that meeting, the suppliers of those discretionary purchases are the target for our next sponsorship.
.Talk to the Asians, meet the Imams, tell them about the family ethos of RL and how it is such a great community sport. Get Ikram Butt involved to facilitate access to the community.
.Talk to Bob Stott, director of the RFL- he was CEO of Morrisons- he will know what the Asians spend their money on.
. Use social media for overkill info, daily updates, even when there isn't news- countdowns to next match, player info and trivia. This is the way to attract attention from the younger generation

Do all these things together with Huddersfield Giants. They have the same attendance problems, they may be able to bring some financial muscle to the project and they certainly look as if they could tour the schools and show off some silverware pretty soon. Players from both clubs would be key in visiting the schools and local communities.

This will all be hard work and will not be free, but I do believe new sponsorships are possible and the alternative, do nothing, is really not acceptable.

Edited by bromleybulldog, 17 August 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#48 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Some really good ideas there Bromleybulldog,keep them coming guys,anything to help the mighty bulldogs cause,I too have some good idea which I will be putting to the club offering my services to try help improve the off field stuff

#49 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for that Bi11 i agree with what you have to say and i was out of order with the Alchohol quip. i hope what you say is correct and we can attract what is definately going to be the majority in terms of the population in Batley. If i am right the club dies a slow death. I sincerely hope you are right and things change.

Cheers Greavesy, thanks for a gracious reply. Time will tell, I guess.

Edited by Bi11, 17 August 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#50 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Sadly bi11, I don't think even SL will be around in twenty years. Still an ageing support group despite the razzmatazz, and an increasing number of counter attractions for the kids will make life difficult even for the top clubs. When sky get bored and pull the plug (as they surely will) SL will fold and we will be left with a handful of semi pro clubs and the amateurs - if they don't get swallowed up by the RU. Personally I'm just trying to enjoy what we have in the here and now for as long as it lasts. You are right though, RL sets the lead as far as the supporters are concerned - shame some other sports can't copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users