RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Athletics 2013

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Christine Ohuruogu wins gold in photo-finish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...letics/23672752

Great stuff from Christine.

#2 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

Christine Ohuruogu wins gold in photo-finish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...letics/23672752

Great stuff from Christine.

A fantastic race. Unfortunately Wayne Rooney has a sore arm so that will take precedence in the media.

#3 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

Denise Lewis is still quite lovely... just needed saying...

• Phil likes this
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#4 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

Denise Lewis is still quite lovely... just needed saying...

I hadn't noticed.  ;)

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

This year's Championships has been excellent already, and there's plenty more to come. Sadly, the BBC will substitute most of the live action for slo-mo montages, dull interviews and presenter chit-chat.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

This year's Championships has been excellent already, and there's plenty more to come. Sadly, the BBC will substitute most of the live action for slo-mo montages, dull interviews and presenter chit-chat.

"Describe your emotions" "Was that emotional"

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

BT Sport seem to be falling into this trap on an epic scale right now.  They are having whole evenings do by with no live sport just talking heads.  They really need to find some actual action to put on there.

And, yes, the BBC are doing this a lot now.  "Today at Wimbledon" comes on at 8 thereby curtailing their live coverage to make way for highlights of matches we all know the scores of.  The Athletics seems even more baffling given that there are long natural pauses into which Logan could empty her thoughts anyway.

That said, Michael Johnson remains excellent as an analyst, as are Edwards, Cram, Jackson and Lewis.  I remain to be convinced that Paula Radcliffe has much to say.  They do all seem to be enjoying themselves though.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

BT Sport seem to be falling into this trap on an epic scale right now.  They are having whole evenings do by with no live sport just talking heads.  They really need to find some actual action to put on there.

And, yes, the BBC are doing this a lot now.  "Today at Wimbledon" comes on at 8 thereby curtailing their live coverage to make way for highlights of matches we all know the scores of.  The Athletics seems even more baffling given that there are long natural pauses into which Logan could empty her thoughts anyway.

That said, Michael Johnson remains excellent as an analyst, as are Edwards, Cram, Jackson and Lewis.  I remain to be convinced that Paula Radcliffe has much to say.  They do all seem to be enjoying themselves though.

Denise Lewis does tend to descend into mangled clichés at times. At their most irritating, she and Jackson come across like children's TV presenters, which is a shame, as their combined knowledge of what it takes to be the very best at sport is hard to top.

Michael Johnson is to Athletics what John McEnroe is to Tennis commentary - excellent, opinionated, knowledgable and confident.

What's so frustrating is that you can see events actually happening behind them and they seem almost apologetic about occasionally having to show live action.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 587 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

I enjoy their coverage, but there could be a bit more action. also, I wouldn't mind seeing jess Ennis doing some presenting!

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

I enjoy their coverage, but there could be a bit more action. also, I wouldn't mind seeing jess Ennis doing some presenting!

Jess might be a bit frustrated, seeing all that action and not being able to take part.

Donovan Bailey did a bit of punditry earlier on, when Michael Johnson was unavailable. He was very good and would be welcome back in the studio any time, but I think he has other broadcasting commitments.

#11 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

"Describe your emotions" "Was that emotional"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

I do find it a bit peculiar given our relative dearth of world-class athletes that GB is providing 3 semi finalists in both the women's and men's 400m hurdles.

- Severus, July 2012

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Other things from yesterday that the BBC let us have the occasional glimpse of - what looked like a corker of a Men's Pole Vault final.

And Valerie Adams, winning her 4th consecutive World Championship. Which makes 5 Golds in total for New Zealand, the other having been won by Beatrice Faumuina. It might inspire some young Kiwis to try some sport that isn't Rugby, Netball or Cricket.

#14 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'm enjoying it although I think Moscow hasn't been a great choice of venue, especially after last year.

Quite a few of the events seem to have suffered due to athletes pulling out. Bolt didn't have a serious challenger and wasn't properly pushed making it much less of an event than previous years. Apparently the womens' heptathlon had the top 5 all out and the 800m appears to be missing David Rudisha.

I find it surprising that with all the modern professionalism in sport many of the Men's World Records of more traditional events are quite old and don't look likely to be challenged for a while. The 400m hurdles, High Jump, Long Jump, Pole Vault, Triple Jump, Shot Put, Hammer and Discuss all have records going back to the mid 90's and earlier. The Long Jump was won last year with a jump 63cm shorter than the WR.

When you consider the improvements in diet, athleticism and fitness of Football, Rugby, Tennis players etc it's testament to the professionalism of athletes from the past generations. Although perhaps if they didn't time it or measure it we'd presume that they were all better than ever as well?

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 13 August 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#15 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Not sure why you doubt what Paula Radcliffe has to say

She is the world marathon record holder, had mentored Mo Farah since he was a teenager, has competed and been world champion

I would as she is perfectly place in her role as expert analyst

And is looks great

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Not sure why you doubt what Paula Radcliffe has to say

She is the world marathon record holder, had mentored Mo Farah since he was a teenager, has competed and been world champion

I would as she is perfectly place in her role as expert analyst

And is looks great

I doubt her ability to express it particularly well - not her credibility or record.

- Severus, July 2012

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'm enjoying it although I think Moscow hasn't been a great choice of venue, especially after last year.

Quite a few of the events seem to have suffered due to athletes pulling out. Bolt didn't have a serious challenger and wasn't properly pushed making it much less of an event than previous years. Apparently the womens' heptathlon had the top 5 all out and the 800m appears to be missing David Rudisha.

I find it surprising that with all the modern professionalism in sport many of the Men's World Records of more traditional events are quite old and don't look likely to be challenged for a while. The 400m hurdles, High Jump, Long Jump, Pole Vault, Triple Jump, Shot Put, Hammer and Discuss all have records going back to the mid 90's and earlier. The Long Jump was won last year with a jump 63cm shorter than the WR.

When you consider the improvements in diet, athleticism and fitness of Football, Rugby, Tennis players etc it's testament to the professionalism of athletes from the past generations. Although perhaps if they didn't time it or measure it we'd presume that they were all better than ever as well?

Some of those records are pretty special, although there are several, especially in womens Athletics, that date back to the days when drug testing wasn't exactly enforced in some countries (allegedly). Marita Koch is still the WR holder for the 400m (1985) and Florence Griffith Joyner's 100m and 200m records still stand from 1988.

#18 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Edwards' triple jump record was freaky, he glided across the phases whereas if you watch most jumpers they tend to have one "hard" phase which seems to slow momentum.

As for some of the others, are they still using the same kit as they used to? 

#19 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

Shhh...Ms Isinbaeva is on!

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Shhh...Ms Isinbaeva is on!

Put your hands on the table where we can see them.
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users