Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Athletics 2013

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Edwards' triple jump record was freaky, he glided across the phases whereas if you watch most jumpers they tend to have one "hard" phase which seems to slow momentum.

Edwards performance in that particular Worlds was staggering - two world records in the final, if I remember correctly. As you say, he seemed to glide through the phases - I've not seen anything as technically perfect from a jumping point of view before or since. An example of when everything goes right… text book (and then some).

As others have pointed out, some of the other records are dubious to say the least, and may never be bettered.

Great to see Christine beating Kathy Cook's ancient British record in winning the 400m by a nose (almost literally). She's a special athlete - her ability to come back from the dead in races is staggering. Presumably she has superb sprint endurance and loads her speed towards the end of races (E.G start relatively easy and relaxed, crank it up at the race goes on to reel in those in front of her). There was a stat in one of the newspaper reports yesterday that said that the combined winning margin for her three championship golds (Worlds 2007, Olympics 2008 and Worlds 2013) is 0.11 seconds. That's crazy.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#22 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

Denise Lewis is still quite lovely... just needed saying...

shes married to tom o conners son you know? that's the old Liverpool comedian

where are the crowds in Moscow? looks pretty empty most of the time

Edited by bedlam breakout, 13 August 2013 - 04:51 PM.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#23 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Just watched the lasses steeplechase. It's a killer of an event with even the medal winners really struggling for rhythm due to fatigue.

Great to see Eilish McColgan running so strongly on the world stage. I used to love her Mum's attitude and bloody minded commitment.

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

where are the crowds in Moscow? looks pretty empty most of the time

The Luzhniki is a huge stadium. Most of those empty-looking evening sessions have had about 30-40,000 there. This time of year, apparently, most people who can afford it get the hell out of Moscow and go on holiday to escape the heat and humidity.

Last night of course, with Isinbaeva competing, it really filled up properly. When BARLA played Russia there, they had a very decent attendance for RL in Russia, but it looked pretty deserted.

Edited by Futtocks, 14 August 2013 - 09:17 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

Yelena Isinbayeva condemns homosexuality.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

I used to like her... a special athlete.  But it's easy to go off someone.  I'm sure she will be gutted mind you.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#27 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

A well deserved gold medal for Rob Heffernan.

http://www.telegraph...-walk-gold.html

He's a Cark boy!

#28 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

A well deserved gold medal for Rob Heffernan.

http://www.telegraph...-walk-gold.html

He's a Cark boy!

Yes I saw that, lovely moment. Great interview.

Hannah England's performance was good too, but the first three were a class apart.

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

I used to like her... a special athlete.  But it's easy to go off someone.  I'm sure she will be gutted mind you.

If she actually believes what she said, then she has a future in Russian politics - Sara Palinski!

If she's just toeing the Putin line in order to have a quiet life, she'd have been better off saying nothing.

Or maybe she's only clever at jumping over some sticks with another stick and is, in fact, a thick bimbo.

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

In an interview about the Isinbayeva comments, American middle distance runner Nick Simmonds said "I wanted to compete with a rainbow sticker but was told I would go to prison if I did that. It was suggested that if I pushed this too far it was a real possibility." :O 

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Someone on Twitter pointed out thet Yelena Isinbayeva's name is an anagram of "Aye, I envy a lesbian". :D 

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Everyone is on holiday and generally moscovites dont like sport 

CM

They'll turn out in droves for a homophobic pole vaulter, but that's pretty much it...

#33 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Sir Mohammed Farah! Outstanding!

LUNEW.jpg

#34 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

What I've never understood is how the times can sometimes be rounded down. It's not just in the world athletics, it's the running app on my phone as well.

I would expect that the time goes up in order so for instance if they record the time in thousands of a second but shows hundreds on TV it goes 9.493, 9.494, 9.495. 9.496 etc. I can imagine that the clock would stop at 9.49 on TV for all three and then it potentially be rounded up to 9.50. This way there is no instance where it could be rounded down as it would always have gone past that figure.

Just the way my mind works, seriously.

#35 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Good run by Gemili to get under 20 seconds in the 200m. Lets hope he can repeat it in the final. Outside chance of a bronze,

#36 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

Has the BBC ditched Roger Black and Sally Gunnell?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#37 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

Has the BBC ditched Roger Black and Sally Gunnell?

Quite a long time ago, yes.

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

Good tournament overall, I thought.  Credit to the Women's 4x100 team for getting into the medals, albeit on a DQ - and, for the men, FOR GOODNESS SAKE YOU MUPPETS.

Great to see someone jump over 18m in the triple jump.  Very much enjoyed listening to Jonathan Edwards on the radio as it happened.

The BBC have a good team now and it works so much better without Inverdale.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Bonus Bronze for the Ladies sprint relay team, following a DQ for France. :) 

#40 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,850 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Good tournament overall, I thought.  Credit to the Women's 4x100 team for getting into the medals, albeit on a DQ - and, for the men, FOR GOODNESS SAKE YOU MUPPETS.

Great to see someone jump over 18m in the triple jump.  Very much enjoyed listening to Jonathan Edwards on the radio as it happened.

The BBC have a good team now and it works so much better without Inverdale.

Teddy Tamgho is erratic, but on a good day, he can threaten Jonathan's outstanding world record.

Adam Gemili is a very recent convert to Athletics (from Football) and I think there's a lot more to come from him. If he and Dasaolu can stay fit, they should drive each other on to faster and faster times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users