Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The good old days

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1945 onwards

1945 onwards
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

When I went for my weekly DVD today I was accosted by an older oldstager than myself who said "You missed Eddie Wright out"  After pleading ignorance it transpired Ian Clayton did not including him in his books on the Rovers. Eddie played 60 games in the second row from 1944 to 1946 and scored eight tries. So Ian if you do a reprint put that in. From my memory (now beginning to have gaps) Eddie Wright left to be a policeman,  I think at Dewsbury, in the days when it was forbidden for a member of the force to be a part time professional sportsman.

When tracking that down I came across another titbit. Nowadays coaches grumble if their team has three games in eight days. In 1946-47 the Rovers played December 25, 26, 28, January 1 and 4.  In those days they regularly played four games in five days over the Easter period. Was it really the good old days?

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

It was quite common to play Christmas Day, Boxing Day and 27 December, if it fell on a Saturday.

Obviously, when I say common, I mean every seven years, on average.

In those days, of course, there was nowt else to do.......

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

nowt else to do? speak for yourself young fella

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

nowt else to do? speak for yourself young fella

The crowds they got bear me out, OR.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

When I went for my weekly DVD today I was accosted by an older oldstager than myself who said "You missed Eddie Wright out"  After pleading ignorance it transpired Ian Clayton did not including him in his books on the Rovers. Eddie played 60 games in the second row from 1944 to 1946 and scored eight tries. So Ian if you do a reprint put that in. From my memory (now beginning to have gaps) Eddie Wright left to be a policeman,  I think at Dewsbury, in the days when it was forbidden for a member of the force to be a part time professional sportsman.

When tracking that down I came across another titbit. Nowadays coaches grumble if their team has three games in eight days. In 1946-47 the Rovers played December 25, 26, 28, January 1 and 4.  In those days they regularly played four games in five days over the Easter period. Was it really the good old days?

If you go back that far you must have seen my grandad play (Frank Hemingway)? Any memories? 

#6 1945 onwards

1945 onwards
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Although I claim to have supported the Rovers since 1945 the earliest game I can remember is January 4 1947 when the Rovers beat Widnes 3-2. Regarding Frank Hemingway I can remember the name but not the player.  According to Ian Clayton's books he signed on in 1934-35 and played in 361 games scoring five tries and two goals.

#7 timhammonds

timhammonds
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

A really hard game with no subs unless you couldn't continue, played in the depths of winter and probably all holding down manual jobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users